Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:49:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Added a Juki to the Family

Started by Mojo, August 10, 2011, 07:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Hey Christwo, if you go toting that 562 head around, remember that one of the 2 setscrews on the handwheel is missing (if you haven't already replaced it by now). So if you grab it by the handwheel, make sure the ONE setscrew is good and tight. Otherwise, it may slip off while you're carrying it.
Then, the 562 won't be the only walking foot that's broken (the other one will be at the end of YOUR leg :o).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

christwo

HAHA! No that baby is settled in where she will spend her days for sometime. I wouldn't much want to tote it around unless absolutely necessary lol. That's allot of the reason I am getting that 280L because one the cost of shipping is probably pretty close to what I will be paying for the 280, and two, it seems logical preventative maintenance for not only the machine but my own psychical well being to leave her we she lay ha!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on August 12, 2011, 03:48:41 pm
Hey Christwo, if you go toting that 562 head around, remember that one of the 2 setscrews on the handwheel is missing (if you haven't already replaced it by now). So if you grab it by the handwheel, make sure the ONE setscrew is good and tight. Otherwise, it may slip off while you're carrying it.
Then, the 562 won't be the only walking foot that's broken (the other one will be at the end of YOUR leg :o).

One screw is a round point, and falls onto the slot, the other is a flat point and falls onto the flat on the shaft.  You can check by setting one screw and removeing the other and checking down the hole with a flashlight.  You should have both in there, either way.

kodydog

August 16, 2011, 06:00:35 am #33 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:57:45 am by kodydog
Quote from: Mojo on August 11, 2011, 04:07:28 am
Paul & Kody:

They have 2 more Juki's left ( $ 400 each ). They are right down the road from you Kody on 121 in Williston. :)

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'd be nice to have another machine in the shop. The Queen (wife) is the ruler of the one we have. Looking for a good deal on an industrial machine that can sew light weight material but powerful enough to occasionally sew something a little heavier.
I'll check out the one in Williston next time I'm that way.

Greg or Bob or anyone else who knows;
A guy in town just called and has a Consew 105 for sale. Clutch motor, table, feet and other parts included for $200. He used to sew pet beds, pot holders, and crafts. Is this a lighter weight machine than my Singer 111w155 and is this a good price? I searched it on the forum and couldn't find much info on it. Thanks.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Toledo Mach. Sales

Yes, the 105 is a lighter duty machine than a 111w,$200.00 isn't a bad price if you can use it,it might come in handy for lighter stuff like drapes,slip covers & etc.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

kodydog

Prefect Bob. I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Kody: A while back, I posted a pic of my new arrangement with a Juki LU 1508, and a DDL-555 back-to-back. I sew lightweight non-welted stuff on the 555, and heavier and/or corded stuff on the 1508. It's been absolutely great so far.
I think you could achieve the same arrangement with the 111W and the Consew 105 that you're looking at.
Assuming that the Consew 105 is a similar class machine to the Juki 555, I think you would enjoy the added versatility. As Bobbin said, it really is gentler on thinner items that the 1508 tends to "eat up".
And I'm convinced that if my 1508 had to go in to the shop for a few days, I could "tough it out" with the 555 as my only back-up.

Mojo

I know nothing about the 555. Is it a walking foot ? Needle feed ?

Just curious as I have seen a lot of these machines for sale. They are everywhere on the net it seems.

Chris

BigJohn

From what I've read on the net the 555 is a straight stitch tailor type machine, not suitable for Canvas or Vinyl upholstery work

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 17, 2011, 04:39:36 pm

No, not a walking foot. Just a high speed tailoring machine. the kind you might see in the back room of a dry cleaner for repairs, and alterations.
It will sew up to 69 thread, and up to denim weight.
There does seem to be a ton of them for sale on Craigslist, and the like.
I guess as clothes become more, and more disposable, the demand for such machines diminishes.
I never thought I would have any use for such a machine, but I've found it to be quite handy for lighter fabrics.

Lmc530

I am in the process of setting up my marine upholstery shop here in Branford, CT.. and was also thinking of getting a Juki as as second..

I bought my Consew from Greg and now I'm convinced that getting a Juki is a good decision.. so that being said.. I'm on a quest to find a decent used Juki as an addition to my shop..

Tejas

My 111W155 has threaded holes below the right slide plate for mounting binders or a sewing fence. Looking at various photos of the Juki 563, it seems that these threaded holes are missing, and I'm wondering if that is correct.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Mojo

Quote from: Tejas on August 19, 2011, 05:09:00 am
My 111W155 has threaded holes below the right slide plate for mounting binders or a sewing fence. Looking at various photos of the Juki 563, it seems that these threaded holes are missing, and I'm wondering if that is correct.

Dave, The Juki 563 does have mounting holes. They are mounted to the left of the stitch button and towards the front. I wish I could take credit for finding them but your question got me curious and I had to call Bob to find them. He pointed them out to me.

They also make a needle plate with mounting holes that you can mount attachments on. They are pretty pricey though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUKI-LU-562-LU-563-6-PC-BINDER-SET-111WBS-/300511020729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7da46b9#ht_840wt_952

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on August 17, 2011, 05:20:11 pm
Quote from: Mojo on August 17, 2011, 04:39:36 pm

No, not a walking foot. Just a high speed tailoring machine. the kind you might see in the back room of a dry cleaner for repairs, and alterations.
It will sew up to 69 thread, and up to denim weight.
There does seem to be a ton of them for sale on Craigslist, and the like.
I guess as clothes become more, and more disposable, the demand for such machines diminishes.
I never thought I would have any use for such a machine, but I've found it to be quite handy for lighter fabrics.

This

Mike8560

Tense I mount my binder never use a fence o to the top plate and swicth out to a clean one when not
needed.  Wuick and easy and I've for nothng  in the way.