Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:21:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Added a Juki to the Family

Started by Mojo, August 10, 2011, 07:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

August 24, 2011, 09:02:46 am #75 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:08:14 pm by Mike8560
Ya mojo.  I  have clutch motors.  There were hard to get used to at first like the first power brakes on cars.  
But I'm fine  with them   I can stich just  as slow as I want  you just have to have a light touch  
 Did tou see the little vid I had of making pilpng with no foot one handed while filming?  

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on August 23, 2011, 02:40:57 pm
I am curious did yours come with a 1/4 chrome welt foot ? Mine did. I thought it was a flat foot till I went to put a welt foot on it. :)
Chris

Just got it out of the van and had to look at it real close to see what kind of foot it is. Stuck my finger up under it and can feel the groove for the welt. looks similar to this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKING-FOOT-1-8-WELT-FOOT-SET-SINGER-111W-JUKI-LU-563-/350370655925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193b7eeb5
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Yeah it is the same one I had on mine Kody.

Did you see some of the other machines they had there ?

Chris

scottymc

Quote from: Mike8560 on August 24, 2011, 09:02:46 am
Ya mojo.  I  have clutch motors.  There were hard to get used to at first like the first power brakes on cars.  
But I'm fine  with them   I can stich just  as slow as I want  you just have to have a light touch  
 Did tou see the little vid I had of making pilpng with no foot one handed while filming?  

I've got all clutch motors, same thing, light touch , easy peasy slow as you want. Been reading all the raves about servo motors and they sound great, but don't I see the point in replacing a perfectly good clutch motor. I guess if I get a brand new machine I might get one.

Maybe while ya'all throwin ya bobbin party's, you could practice controlling the clutch  ;)

christwo

They would have to have clutch motors to do so!

kodydog

Quote from: scottymc on August 25, 2011, 01:04:52 am
Maybe while ya'all throwin ya bobbin party's, you could practice controlling the clutch  ;)

Nope Scotty. At a Bobbin Party its full tilt boogie, balls to the wall. Gotta get those bobbins wound so we can slam down some free beers and chase those Hooters girls around. Maybe get some chip-n-dales for the ladies?  ;D
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Scotty:

Greg and Bob may not agree with me but my feeling is this when it comes to the stitcher business. All of us have our own preferences when it comes to machines, fabric, attachments, thread,  bobbins, and yes motors.

I believe a lot of our preference goes back to the first days we started sewing. I started on one of my Mom's suzy homemaker machines when I was a little kid. I stitched all kindsoif useless stuff back then from puppets to God knows what else. Now stop and think, what kind of a motor did I use on that machine ? It was for all practical purposes a servo motor and the homemaker machines are very controllable with the pedal.

Now step forward to my adult years. My first commercial machine was a Tuffsew, again a very slow and controllable machine. Then I bought my Chandler and Bob talked me into the servo knowing full well what my sewing history was like. So in a nutshell all I have sewed on are servo type motors and I am so used to them that when I did sew on a clutch motor the first time I about ran my hand through the machine. :) I am to busy and because I am old I am to damn impatient to try and learn to sew with a different motor. For
$ 135 I will stick to what I am comfortable at and one I can turn out the goods quickly with.

Others on here have never sewed on a servo and were raised with a clutch motor under their foot. These guys see no reason to switch and if they are comfortable with the clutch motor then they will more then likely stick with it.

This preference applies to so much in our lives - car's, boat's you name it. Some of us embrace change and some of us don't.

Chris

scottymc

Chris, of course you are going to buy what you are comfortable, but I can't see the point in buying a machine for a bargain price then paying for a servo motor, you may as well have bought the whole lot off a dealer and got a warranty for the lot. I'm saying if you pick up a machine dirt cheap , why not give the clutch motor a go, as you already know how to sew it is only a matter of control, so it's not a going to take that much time to get a handle on it. It is all about riding the clutch, you can go from crawling pace to sprinting instantly without touching a knob.
Like I said ,I'd buy a servo myself if I was buying a machine and I had a choice, but only after trying it, if they were that good you would not be able to buy a new machine with a clutch motor.