Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:32:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Added a Juki to the Family

Started by Mojo, August 10, 2011, 07:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

August 22, 2011, 09:53:47 am #60 Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:57:16 am by kodydog
Chris:
Just called Monteray Boat Company and they still have 2 Juki's left. I'll be in Gainesville tomorrow and will swing by Williston and look at them. My wife wants to know if it has a reverse bar and is this machine too heavy to sew light weight upholstery fabric like say Laura Ashley screen printed cotton without chewing it all up? I told her you do mostly awnings but maybe someone else can answer this question. Did you get to use the machine before you bought it?   
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

Quote from: Mojo on August 22, 2011, 08:28:05 am
I am to old to be crawling around underneath there to find that button on the end of the machine. It is in an awkward position I think. :)

The control box in the front is awesome. I love it. The machine in the E-Bay ad above is the exact one that I got from Bob and I can vouch for the motor. I have had great service with both of these motors. But like I said, Bob only has a couple left and he cannot get anymore. :( If you want one you better hurry. :)

Chris

Speaking from experience, if he can't get anymore , then they probably don't make them anymore , so you can't get parts to fix'em.

BigJohn

Wish I was close enough to take advantage of that $400 deal!

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 22, 2011, 08:28:05 am
I am to old to be crawling around underneath there to find that button on the end of the machine. It is in an awkward position I think.

My speed control knob is located on the motor. Much like stitchers who are used to bottom load bobbins, I can locate the speed control knob without even looking.
The first servo that I got from Gregg is an Eagle brand, It has 3 speed settings. The second one that I recently got from Gregg for my other machine has several speed settings. Again, I can blindly access the knob without crawling, or even looking for it.
So for me, having the speed control seperate from the motor is not a must.  But, if the new models have that feature for the same price, why not?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 22, 2011, 09:53:47 am
My wife wants to know if it has a reverse bar and is this machine too heavy to sew light weight upholstery fabric like say Laura Ashley screen printed cotton without chewing it all up?

If we're still talking about a Juki LU-563, I have sewn lightweight fabrics on a similar class machine (562, 1508), but it ain't fun. I certainly wouldn't try anything lighter that a Laura Ashley cotton.
As Gregg has pointed out before, there are a few 563's that don't have reverse, but they aren't very common.

Mojo

Kody:

The 563 is a heavy duty machine designed to sew medium to heavy weight fabrics. I cannot comment on the lighter material but if Doc offers his wisdom I would take that to the bank. He has more experience then I do with different weight materials. Everything I sew is heavy stuff.

The 2 - 563's that they have do have the reverse bar on them. One of them is missing the tension assembly but they are fairly cheap. The other looks complete. I can say that they appear to have been taken care of. I went all through mine and it was well taken care of ( oiled heavily ). I guess Rusty would allow you to sew on it but your going to have to take an M  bobbin and spool of thread with you and some material. These are stored in a warehouse not their fabric shop. He did get the one I bought out off the pallet, ran an extension cord and plugged it in and allowed me to run it.

If you disconnect the belt or tilt the machine up so the belt isn't touching the wheel then rotate it completely around. It should spin smoothly without any hic cups, rubbing or ticking/knocking. Set the machine back down and connect the belt and then give it a run forward and backwards.

The two 563's that they left both have clutch motors. I cannot remember the age of them. The machine I got had a brand new clutch motor on it. I have that listed on craigslist now. :)

I would offer him $ 350 for the one that is complete. If it doesn't work for your wife's sewing then I am sure you could flip it and make some good money on it. I forget what Bob told me what I could sell it for. Maybe
$ 600 or 700, I am not sure.

Got any other questions, let me know. I really like my 563. It sews awesome but I am still trying to get used to that top bobbin setup. I am NOT used to holding threads when I start a stitch run. :)

Good luck,

Chris

Mike8560

I wonder if I got scude I lid like $800 new just for the head without motor and table 10 years ago

Mojo

Quote from: Mike8560 on August 22, 2011, 04:59:26 pm
I wonder if I got scude I lid like $800 new just for the head without motor and table 10 years ago

I don't think so Mike. The Juki 563's are still pretty pricey. The 1508 which is the replacement for the 563 ( I think ) is going for over $ 2,000 with table and motor. So the head is going to be over 1,500 alone.

I think you did OK. :) Are you still using clutch motors on your machines ?

Chris

kodydog

Thanks Chris. Thanks Sofadoc.  Great info. We'll look at it tomorrow and if it runs good we'll probably get it.

sofadoc

August 22, 2011, 05:56:21 pm #69 Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:03:04 pm by sofadoc
Here's what a "cherry" 563 is going for:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/art/2553834051.html

BTW:  I've lamented lately about the last Industrial sewing center in the Dallas area recently closing. Well, apparently they got an infusion of cash, because they're back open.

Another BTW: Scroll down to the last big pic. Notice that he didn't run the thread through the threadguide? And it appears as if a little grinding has been done to the tops of the welt feet.

Mojo

That machine is cherry..........Perfect condition and a good price I think for it being in that kind of shape.

Chris

kodydog

August 23, 2011, 11:22:53 am #71 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:13:37 am by kodydog
Got it. Just got back from Monteray Boat where we picked up a Juki 563. There was some wear on it but he let us use it and it sews good. No strange noises and runs nice and smooth. The other machine was a little cleaner but the tensioner was missing and we didn't want to mess with it. Rusty is a great guy but he wouldn't come down from his $400 price. I think we still got a good deal. He said he ordered the part for the other machine if any one is still interested.

Thanks for your help Chris, Sofadoc and everyone else for the great advice. Can you believe this thread is up to 5 pages?

Tejas

It looks nice, but hadn't thought of cherry. I'd seen this post and had assumed it had been repainted. How can one really tell how really used a machine is?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/art/2553834051.html
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Quote from: Tejas on August 23, 2011, 01:15:14 pm
It looks nice, but hadn't thought of cherry. I'd seen this post and had assumed it had been repainted. How can one really tell how really used a machine is?

You're quite right. It LOOKS cherry, but it may have worn parts. I'm positive that it has been re-painted. But it's nice to look at.
For $895, it SHOULD be in good repair.

Mojo

Congrats Kody. If you decide you do not want it, clean it up and sell it and make some money.

Go through it and oil the heck out of it.

I am curious did yours come with a 1/4 chrome welt foot ? Mine did. I thought it was a flat foot till I went to put a welt foot on it. :)

If its in good condition and sews well and nothing is amiss it will probably still be sewing 20 years after your dead and gone. As long as it is oiled and not abused. :)

Congrats.

Chris