Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"why so much"?

Started by Mike, August 31, 2012, 02:37:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

This afternonn inwayster 2 1/2 hourz on housecalls.

Last week i had 3 call and got 3 jobs. Today i got a call and was out there in an hour as most shops dont  even anwser the call im told. 
So a guy had a hurricane deckboat bimini frame but no canvas
So a 9'+ length. Zippered  pockets. Patterned and installed on a boat lift i quoted $640 sunbrella.
I get "why so much" id have to come ou tot the boat pattern the top sew it plus zippered pockets
Sven if i could do it all in less then a day. Say 6 hours plus materials.
Now the owner had a great spot on a river with an addition being built to the home.
Why so much.  Insaid it the costs and shipping is much more. Call me if you want to procedde and have a nice day.   Never mind my time and gas waysted. And another after was looking for anpow cost after buying his own fabric :( loke that would make some cushions cheap to build.

JDUpholstery

I won't do boat cushions when they bring me the material, unless it is a material I know/trust....there is nothing worse than doing a job then getting blamed for a vinyl failure when it was because they brought you cheap $5/yd vinyl...I tell my customers that especially in upholstery...you get what you pay for....

with boats you get the people who look online for a bimini top and see they can buy one for 3-400 bucks...but it is not a custom fit and will not work for their boat. they come to us expecting universal prices on custom work...go figure!

Mike

August 31, 2012, 05:55:02 pm #2 Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:56:54 pm by MikeM8560
This was a fabric for the cushions Jd.
He top was canvas only  the frames he had. BUt lost  the can as in The trash  heck with the framework  stainless
Id
Ask around 1400

Mike

I dont fhink 6 was out of line for a 10' bimini canvas with zippered pockets done onsite ?

JDUpholstery

I don't that is out of line, good work is worth the price!

JuneC

Not an unreasonable price at all.  There's no magic in producing boat canvas.  People seem to think you just push a button and an hour later it's ready to install. 

I quoted a cockpit upholstery job just last week - $1200 for 12 individual pieces - most small, soft backs, one larger, 3 needing new foam.  And he wants to know if the $1200 includes sales tax.  Like "No".  And yes, I do collect and pay tax.  I get the "I'll have to discuss with the wife".  I actually hope he doesn't call.  I was probably $400 too cheap. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

I learned that collecting taxes on services was required...so I had to pay 6 months worth of jobs that I had already done...when I got serious about making this work, I hired a CPA to set me on the right path, and learned a lot about taxes....basically had to take the old jobs and "back" the taxes in, so if i did a 1200 dollar jobs I had to call it an 1111 dollar job and pay 89 in taxes...at least now I am on the right path...I sometimes forget to estimate the taxes and get some serious wtf when they get their invoice and the 1200 dollar job became 1296!

Mike

Ya that sound a little low to me also june if he doese call back you can be booked up
I had a wuote i did  at least 2 years ago i think it was  tualy 3. Noe he called me back to to a complete cront a d rear camper on a searay. This fime inwas a 1000 more he went for it withkiut thinking   Im ready to finnish the install probly tomorow

regalman190

Mike...I think the price is in line. When I get the "that much" I ask how much they think it should be. When they tell me....I have to stop myself from laughing.
Regal Canvas

scarab29

Give them what they ask for , trivantage sells those ready made cheapo bimini tops !!
;D
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

I expect someong to be looking cor a chesp price if its an old guy retired not a fancy house ect. And had his top tears from rot and they this a coulle hundred to replace he k overtons had the top frame and sll for less then 300  even today inhad a guy stop me and ask befor lea inf my lunch spot thst has a lot of old retirees. He wasnted to know if i could replace the csnvas top on a lawn swing. I didnt want to wayste my time on a bouse call to shock him. But this guy why so much had a nice house on the waterfront. Having a addition built to the house a nice boAt and new dock foing to add a dock awning cover who gave him my number. Niw the do k lift cover guy get like 5k for a metal frame and some canvAs  but 600 is too much for a 9' bimini canvas zippered pocket  :'(

Peppy

It seems to me the 'poor' guy will pay the price, knowing work is effort. The 'rich' guy will nickle and dime you to death.

"You don't get rich by spending money."
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

scarab29

The working man is my  best customer . He knows he works hard for his money and so do I !! Some wealthy people don't mind paying for service , those are my customers too. The guy who wants it cheaper or nickel and dimes me aren't my customer. I have a small yellow pages ad. Let the guy with the half page ad get all the " how much " calls.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

forsailbyowner

Here in Charleston that price would be low. I saw one much smaller top recently the owner had paid $850 for with zips and sunbrella. Wait till he calls you back after getting more quotes.If he gets any lower ones(doubtful) I bet it won't come near the quality of your work. 

Mike

Quote from: forsailbyowner on September 06, 2012, 05:25:10 am
Here in Charleston that price would be low. I saw one much smaller top recently the owner had paid $850 for with zips and sunbrella. Wait till he calls you back after getting more quotes.If he gets any lower ones(doubtful) I bet it won't come near the quality of your work. 

Just for the canvas work i wasnt talking thebstsinless frames. They were  intact.