Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:23:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"why so much"?

Started by Mike, August 31, 2012, 02:37:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DBR1957

$640 is about 1/2 of what I would charge. But up here in our area there are only a couple of
canvas shops. Also, we have to make our money when we can. Boaters up here forget about their boats
from November to March/April. Our tops include zippered pockets, reinforcement at the ends of the
sleeves/pockets, Tenara thread, double stick tape along stitch lines and the boot.

I get the "Why so much?" from time to time and just explain it to the customer. When they can't get
it through their heads that the material is only a fraction of the cost I have told some to "Have a nice day"
and excuse myself.

I've read a couple of articles in the past year addressing the point that sometimes you have to "Fire" a
customer.

Sometimes a customer will say "That's too much", I will ask "Compared to what?". Usually it means it's
more than they want to pay or this is their first time to the replacement canvas rodeo and they have
no clue.

I've had customers try to talk me down using someone else's estimate. When I ask what shop gave them the
estimate I find out they're BS'ing me or the other shop isn't using the same materials or providing the
same quality.

forsailbyowner

The $850 was for canvas only. I've seen larger canvas replacements go for over $1k. That's why I like to summer here. The prices are way higher than in florida. I'm busy from the time I pull in and end up turning work away when its starts to get cold. One outfit that has  done some work here charges $85 to come and give an estimate.

forsailbyowner

Florida is a right to work state. That's a right to work for very little pay state lol
The gal I've been seeing in fl is a teacher and makes around $20 an hour. In wisconsin where my parents live  the same teacher would be making double that.(But paying state income tax)

Mike

Quote from: forsailbyowner on September 07, 2012, 10:04:37 am
The $850 was for canvas only. I've seen larger canvas replacements go for over $1k. That's why I like to summer here. The prices are way higher than in florida. I'm busy from the time I pull in and end up turning work away when its starts to get cold. One outfit that has  done some work here charges $85 to come and give an estimate.
Here on the west coast of fl i see alot of peoplemcrom the midwest  ohio michigan and i think they are more frugal indo get some who expect to spend and dont auestion the price others do like i havnt heard bCk crom a 5500 sail oT enclosure quote and there a pia.

forsailbyowner

My brother got a quote for an enclosure for his 46 hunter that came in at $12000. He was quite shocked as he had just sold his garage kept low mileage corvette for $8k. All the sudden I was his favorite family member lol.

Mojo

I think rates are low down here because there are so many retirees who set up shop. It is amazing to see what landscapers charge. Talking about a cut throat business. My buddy had a landscape business and had to close it down because he couldn't compete anymore.

People move to Florida for the climate, buy some lawn mowers and equipment and then open up a lawn business. There is so much competition down here for landscapers that these people end up cutting their prices down to nothing.

I lived in Florida for a brief time when I was young back in the late 70's. Even then pay rates were horrible which is why I moved back to Michigan.

Chris

Mike

Funny you mentioned lawn mowing. 
I bartered some boat canvas work  and upholster for a small bowrider the fellow a young guy only doese more sfouent waterfrontnhome wlthat will pay the price. He has a $15,000 ldeisle lasn mower and. Hesp $25 cuts dont cut it.  Pun ;) but ua i see plenty of guy with a car a small trailer and a bomeowner lasn moser running around town for verry little

byhammerandhand

I have some friends that retired and moved to FL, just north of Orlando.  Both had taught in public schools and private industry and I'd consider both "Master Teachers."   They looked at doing some teaching, if even substitute work, and found the wages were very very low.

Quote from: forsailbyowner on September 07, 2012, 10:10:09 am
Florida is a right to work state. That's a right to work for very little pay state lol
The gal I've been seeing in fl is a teacher and makes around $20 an hour. In wisconsin where my parents live  the same teacher would be making double that.(But paying state income tax)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

The teachers here in Texas are always complaining that a garbageman in California makes more money. But in Texas, we can get a 2000 sq. ft. home in a nice neighborhood for 100K.
It's all relative, I guess.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

That one of the readon i decided to move to southwest florida i looked on the mls at rhe cost of homes here.
I sold  my place on the lake and moved pocked  good money on the move.