Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:48:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Gun

Started by harrisp7385, October 18, 2010, 04:53:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisp7385

I am looking for an air powered staple gun.  I have looked at short nose as well as long nose...  Pros and Cons on both would be good as well as recommendations on guns.  I mainly do automotive and antique furniture.  Thank you all...

Paul

JuneC

I have a cheapo Primestitch short nose and a Fasco long nose and prefer the Primestitch.  The long nose is helpful in spots, but I don't like the safety on it.  You have to press the safety before each and every staple and it's a PITA  >:(  The short nose with no safety except for a trigger safety used for loading staples is much faster.  And, after more than 5 years, it's trouble-free.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

June: I'm curious. Do you use the Primestitch stapler a lot? Doing furniture, I use my BEA stapler 6-8 hrs. a day. And I torture mine, accidentally hitting screws, steel springs, clips, etc.  I've had the cheapo guns before, they don't stand up to heavy use. If YOU use yours a lot, and it's lasted 5 years, then I got just one question. Where can I get one?  ???
A competitor and I were talking last month. I told him that I'd had nothing but trouble out of the cheapo guns. He said that he'd had no problems at all with his. So I asked to borrow one to see if I liked it. He had to rob parts off of 4 different guns just to put ONE together that jammed after every 4 or 5 shots (He didn't consider that to be a problem).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

I've done hundreds of boat seats with it, but not furniture and I do all the marketing/patterning/sewing so I'm sure I use it less than you use yours.  I got it from Amazon.com when I was first starting and $$ was really tight for around $70.  It's never jammed on me.  I've never serviced it other than to squirt silicone in the air intake every time I start a project with it.  Most marine seat materials are fairly soft, but occasionally come across plastics that are rock hard.  Only thing I've done is increased air pressure over the years.  It used to drive staples and recoil correctly at around 65 psi now I have to use 70+ psi or the anvil doesn't retract all the way. 

It looks like this one, but I'm not sure if it's the same model.
   http://www.gosale.com/4866974/primestitch-us7116-22-gauge

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

mike802

I have a Rainco long nose, not a cheap gun, I have been using it almost daily for over a year without any problems.  I prefer a short nose gun, but the long nose fits into more places and I think is the better choice if you can only afford one gun for know.  Some day I am going to get a short nose one.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Can-Vas

I've also read that the Rainco is a pretty good one..
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

bobbin

I have an electric stapler that has been fine for me, but now that I have a compressor to power the presser foot lift on my new Juki I've been thinking about moving to a pneumatic gun, too.  (I also would like a paint sprayer!).

Thanks for the insights, you guys.  I've always been interested in upholstery work and the long nose models have been the ones that have caught my eye, too.   I just love tools... good ones that are what you need to make the job easier and faster. 

scottymc

Had Fasco for ten years, have not had one problem with it. If something does go wrong I know I'll be able to get parts. You get what you pay for. Also the first thing I did was remove the safety as it was annoying. I have seen guns that have the the firing mechanism adjusted so you  squeeze the trigger and it fires off like a machine gun. Not for the novice.

Darren Henry

QuoteI've never serviced it other than to squirt silicone in the air intake every time I start a project with it

I've used silicone when I was afraid of excess oil spraying out; but air tool oil does a much better job and stays in the stapler longer.

BTW June; your staples looks exactly like my Miniko other than colour. Possibly just sold under a different name up here. It's "middle of the pack" but I've never had any trouble with it or the one I worked with before I got my own.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Geech

I've been using a Fasco for two years now.  My only complaint is the same as June's and that is the safety is obnoxious.  The spring in the safety lever broke (I'm sure I dropped it or something) so it was flapping around, I keep saying I'm just going to remove it and be done but its still on there...

Otherwise its been one of the most reliable tools I've purchased.  The only time I run into problems is from user error when someone forgets to put a drop or two of oil in it or runs the pressure too low but you can't blame the tool there.  Hope it helps....

Bob T

I don't use a stapler near as much as most people on these forums, but I'm trying out something different..... a Makita battery powered stapler.  So far I like it.....good to be free of power cords and air hoses.  It seems to get into tight areas about as good as my Senco, without the hose.

BigJohn

I use a 1/2" stapler I bought from Harbor Freight for $12, and haven't had any problems. I now see the price has gone to about $20 on the stapler but it's still a good deal!

Big John

Mojo

Quote from: BigJohn on October 22, 2010, 01:58:18 pm
I use a 1/2" stapler I bought from Harbor Freight for $12, and haven't had any problems. I now see the price has gone to about $20 on the stapler but it's still a good deal!

Big John

Ditto. I have not had any problems with my $ 20 harbor freight stapler either. If I do I will throw it in the trash and go get another one. I can buy a lot of them for the price of one pro model. :)

I should add that I do not use mine that often due to the work I do. But when I have used it it performed great.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on October 24, 2010, 09:08:03 am

Big John

I should add that I do not use mine that often due to the work I do. But when I have used it it performed great.

Chris

It probably should be pointed out that the guys who only do light duty stapling HAVE been pleased with the cheapo staplers, such as the one from Harbor Freight. For stapling vinyl to plywood, I'm sure they are satisfactory.
But, being a hard core furniture guy, I have wasted entirely too much time and money fooling around with those inexpensive guns.
I'd rather pay $125 for a BEA, or comparable brand. I can keep my air pressure at 90 psi (the same as my air wrenches), I seldom oil it, and I can accidentally hit steel springs without damaging the driver. And the gun will last 10 years or more.
So, when deciding how much to spend on an air stapler, you should consider the type of work you will be doing.
I only occasionally use a brad nail gun. So for me, the cheapo brad nailer works just fine. A professional carpenter, for example, wouldn't fool with one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kiwistuffer

Quote from: sofadoc on October 24, 2010, 01:29:03 pm
Quote from: Mojo on October 24, 2010, 09:08:03 am

Big John

Chris

It probably should be pointed out that the guys who only do light duty stapling HAVE been pleased with the cheapo staplers, such as the one from Harbor Freight. For stapling vinyl to plywood, I'm sure they are satisfactory.
But, being a hard core furniture guy, I have wasted entirely too much time and money fooling around with those inexpensive guns.
I'd rather pay $125 for a BEA, or comparable brand. I can keep my air pressure at 90 psi (the same as my air wrenches), I seldom oil it, and I can accidentally hit steel springs without damaging the driver. And the gun will last 10 years or more.
So, when deciding how much to spend on an air stapler, you should consider the type of work you will be doing.
I only occasionally use a brad nail gun. So for me, the cheapo brad nailer works just fine. A professional carpenter, for example, wouldn't fool with one.

All very good points, my choice is BEA (I have two) spare a thought for those of us a million miles from anywhere,a new BEA here is around $400.......