Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:25:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

HELP - Headliner install on 55 Chevy Bel Aire Hardtop

Started by Thundergrunt, November 03, 2010, 06:13:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundergrunt

Being retired & a "selective hot rod" upholsterer for a few years, I monitor this site daily, but rarely participate.  I've always refused to do headliners, but last Spring I decided I wanted to built a 55 Chevy from ground up!!  My first attempt at the age of 68!  Well, with the help of my OLDER brother, I'm now attempting to install a pre-made headliner and it is kicking my Butt, not to mention that I've got sore spots and bruises in strange places!  I've read the instructions put out by Ecklers, but their headliner is for a 57 Chevy w/o the stainless bars across the headliner.

I'd sure appreciate the benefit of someone with experience with this particular model!
Do the stainless/chrome bar go in the HL before installation or after?
Since top of the support rods are at the rear of the headliner, should the instalation start there?    Should I wait a few years until I get more experience?  (just kidding!)
Any and all comments...and prayers are appreciated!
Dale
http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz10/Thundergrunt1/55%20Chevy%20Build%20From%20Frame%20to%20Fame/

206RB

Dale, that car is looking great! Love the colors too.
It's been a few years, but I seem to remember putting up the sections all up, then using a rubber mallet to get the chrome to snap into place.
Mike

stitcher_guy

Dale. Can you put up a couple pics of the headliner area? I've done several 55 and 56 liners, but none with the extra chrome strips. I've got a 56 with accent piping in the headliner on the Pro Stitch Auto business page on Facebook (search pro stitch auto on facebook, and "like" the page and check out the photo albums). Without seeing a pic, I would tend to agree with Mike. The liner I'm sure is just a normally sewn item (Acme is great for perfect fit headliners). Get it installed, snugged and ready, and the strips clip up into place after the fact, just like adding the coat hooks and visors through the liner. I would tend to say you might need to slit the material where the clips attach, but do not do it right on the seam or you'll cut threads, adn it will eventually unravel all the way across.

Thundergrunt

Russ, I don't belong to Facebook, so I can't see your pictures.  I'm trying to post a couple of pictures for you, but for some reason, the system won't let me.  I'll upload them to Photo and maybe I can get them to you that way.  Since my original post, I THINK I've learned a few things...each stainless strip has a specific place and the rear SS's foot must be on the proper angle.  I think (but I'm not sure) that this may have been my problem of excess material near the rear corners.  If I get the pictures uploaded, the places marked with the red tape is where I believe the SS bars go.
I'm going to try the install again the first part of next week, so your opinion and recommendation is MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!

Thundergrunt

I hope this works!  Thanks again.

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz10/Thundergrunt1/55%20Chevy%20Build%20From%20Frame%20to%20Fame/Headliner/

206RB

If you get the magazine Hotrod and Restoration, there is what looks like the exact car on the cover! It has the same chrome bows on the headliner.
Mike

ncydmn

Now on to the head liner.  One thing that concerns me is I don't see a center support bar.  This is about 3" wide and has the dome light support as well as six bend over tabs that hold the fourth rod in the headliner.  This support is very important because it also holds that bow solid.  The fourth bow does not attach at sides like the others.  This is where you would start your install as well.  It keeps the other bows from turning over as you stretch the liner to the front and rear. 

On your 55 model I believe the chrome strips go in last.  There are some models like this that have a ½" cardboard strip sewn at the seam which installs in the chrome and there is no bow behind it.  I am pretty sure yours has the rods in liner and chrome installs over seam.  There are usually two screws on each side of the chrome strip.  I install one screw on each side and only snug lightly so I can tilt the bow forward or rear to allow a wrinkle free install.  On some rare occasions I have had to re-drill the mounting holes to accommodate different manufactures head liners.  Different seam allowance or sack length I suppose. 

I see you have foil insulation on your roof.  Something you may want to consider if you are using a perforated liner is the ability to see the foil through the holes.  If you are using a solid liner the will be no problem. 

I searched my web site but no pictures of center roof support so I have emailed you a picture of one.  Sorry I don't have a photo bucket account.  It would be just one more thing I would have to update and maintain.  Then I would never get much done.  Besides I am not the quickest at typing, oh wait, I believe that's hunt and peck...  With pictures and typing your post would be off the first page before I got done!  Lol  Roy.

Thundergrunt

Roy, thanks for the pictures and info.  Evidently the 55 BA HT was a one of a kind unit.  There is no center bar.  The dome lights are at the rear of the car.  I THINK I have found my problem.  Unfortunately, I did not take the previous headliner down, but I did mark the SS bow and steel rods before removing them from the HL.  What I DIDN'T do was mark the SS bows end to end (dr/pass) and it does make a difference.  Good tip on the bow screws! Thanks again!!  Dale

ncydmn

Glad to help.  I knew the 53-54 hardtops have a round dome light in the back corner but didn't think the 55 was that way.  I though I mislead you on the chrome bars for a bit.  I went in to work and looked at the bars in a 57 Olds I have and they only have one screw in the bottom.  I was almost sure yours had two.  Thought maybe I was going to have to say I was wrong, (oh I hate that) but I was mistaken.   ;D

Good luck with your liner.  By the way, I somehow deleted my first paragraph on my last post about how much I like the car and colors.  Looks like you are on the down hill side of the build now.  Keep pluggin'.  Roy.