Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:42:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

XL

Started by SteveA, July 27, 2016, 02:41:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

New project came in today.  Repair, refinish and fabric.  Throne chair - from a Church.  Can't say I ever saw one this large - takes up the whole shop. 
Thank goodness they are not in a rush - their building is being overhauled and expanded - will take a year for the building renovation.  Will bill something but not what it should cost a COD customer.  I think it's rosewood - I have to strip off some finish to see the wood more clearly. Maybe walnut with a red stain or Indian rosewood ?  It's a pain -
Wish someone else worked here besides me !  One of those jobs you don't know where to start

Mojo

I absolutely love these chairs. The craftsmanship and artistry from years ago in the wood sculpting and wood turning just blows me away.

I have always wanted one of these chairs. I think they are awesome. I am sure your going to enjoy recovering this baby. Just think of the history and the stories that chair could tell.

Good luck and make dang sure you post an after picture Steve.

Chris

MinUph

Nice chair. I did a church alter years ago. Same type of furniture. Ornate and beautiful. I think I have pictures of a couple of the pieces still. Anyway have fun doing it. It will be seen by the big boss so do it right :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

We're negotiating a church job. I never thought about the big boss aspect. Should I charge more or less for him looking over my shoulder. Sure hope he has a good since of humor.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Kody, Never over charge the big guy. Just give him your best at the rest falls into place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I started to work on this chair finally.  East Indian rosewood - terrible stuff - tears and sheds to splinters when carving - also very hard dulling the edges of the tools.  I purchased a 36 in. long x 2-1/2 thick x 7 inches wide piece of this lumber to make parts - $ 80.00.  On the leg I replaced half of the bottom block and a section of the buttons that were torn out and lost that were 1-1/2 in. wide and the length of the leg. 3 buttons were missing and the wood below.  The the void was 1in. below the buttons.  A little more fine tuning - fortunately it's a back leg positioned on the inside

SteveA

October 27, 2016, 10:14:44 am #6 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:15:35 am by SteveA

Slow going - replaced half a button - many damages and the chair has to come completely apart.  The joints have to be reglued.  I'll post other photos - not sure if anyone is still out there to view the photos?    
When I strip the leg the liquid paint remover will stain the new additions with some of the original color.  It's a nice technique if you can repair before stripping.  

More news - the Baptist Church said the designer will not use this chair in the Sanctuary as planned - too ornate.  They asked me if I wanted the chair.  
There is over 4 hours into it but I jumped at the offer.  Now there is no pressure to get it done - where it's going when finished - I'm not sure -but my Son wants it -
The woodwork will be lighter - a natural rosewood color - any suggestions for fabric ?  I don't think red as was originally there.
SA

kodydog

"the designer will not use this chair in the Sanctuary as planned - too ornate"??? That's a shame for them but good fortune for you.

We're working on two church jobs and possibly a third.

The first church had to completely rebuild the sanctuary. They had bought a new steeple and set it on the roof. Several days later the walls bowed out and the roof collapsed because of the weight. They called 4 months ago for an estimate to recover the pews and gave us the job. Problem is the contractor started the job August 2015 and still is not done. They are anxious to get the pews done but we told them that would not be wise until the church is done and the dust settles. They asked if we could at least strip the old fabric off and they would help. So Monday I showed up. They had 3 volunteers and I had the tools. Gotta admit they worked hard but I could tell it was harder than they expected. We striped 24 pews in 3- 6 hour days. The construction still has a long way to go. And after watching the pace of the crew it won't be done until some time next year.

The second church has the same problem. We are ready to go but after 6 months the remodeling is not done yet. We're supposed to start next week.

The third church called last week. The construction is done and the pews are only 7' wide. We'll give an on site estimate Saturday.

Here's the weird thing, we usually only do a church job once every 3 or 4 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

October 27, 2016, 07:28:46 pm #8 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:29:45 pm by gene
Quotenot sure if anyone is still out there to view the photos?

I've been told more than a few times over the years that I am "out there".

I love that chair! You could make it into a practical throne chair - including plumbing that would allow you to flush.  :)

That is some nice work. 4 hours and how many more to go???

Kody D: That's somewhat funny that they put a steeple on top that was too heavy. I wonder how many codes you have to violate in order to have a steeple fail. I hope no one got hurt.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I searched Throne chair - no plumbing -  and found Shaq in a gilded chair at a basketball game.  He looks a little snug in it but if he had my chair he'd have extra room.  Mine stands 6 feet tall - the seat is 30 in. x 30 in.  Loose leaf would be a fortune to cover the chair.  I think a pack is running over $ 1000.00.
There are 16 seat springs and three mini coil springs on the top of each arm.  Still need fabric suggestions although that plateau is a year away at my pace. Kody will be done before me lol
SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gkSw31RgE

SteveA

This is a lower rail stretcher - one turned decorative knob was missing.  I made one today - not nice wood to turn - no clean shaving at all

SteveA

Haven't had time to do much work.  This is the front deck rail - secondary wood backer pieces were missing behind the carved decoration.

SteveA

Progress today - replace lost corner - there are 5 more like this to repair-  I used walnut because the rosewood was just too hard to carve - I can color match the walnut to blend in.  Carving rosewood takes hours longer and not worth it for me.  This corner took one hour and still needs a little fine tuning.

SteveA

SteveA