Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon Topper Project???

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, May 19, 2016, 09:16:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I just got back from looking at a 16' pontoon. 

Customer wants the top replaced as well the mini-topper.  Pontoon topper measures 12.5' x 6' and the mini-topper is 6' x 6'.  Topper has three openings and of course is snapped into place.  Mini-topper is zippered into place and it looks like the zippers can be carefully taken off and reused.

My question is pricing.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My only other experience with pontoon toppers was a few years ago when I altered the topper that didn't fit (had tons of fun getting the owner of the boat store to pay me but they finally did).  This is for a customer so being paid won't be a problem.

Thanks!!!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mike

photo would help Virginia,   what do you meen by topper? 6' is narroqer then any neam of a toon ive seen most are at least 8',

ive know pontoon today have biminis usualy qith  1 1 /4" square tube frames. and older pontoon back in the day had non folding as a bimini  but a aluminum top  structure  with 4 suppolds that would lay  down for trailering
"

Virgs Sew n Sew

I took a picture of the boat as well as the mini-topper.  Didn't see the old topper but they do have it.  Will get them uploaded and posted tomorrow.  Thanks!

Double-checked my notes and the topper is 6' wide.  It's not a very wide pontoon.  Last one I was on seemed like a freakin' yacht compared to this one.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

May 20, 2016, 02:54:09 pm #3 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:54:36 pm by Virgs Sew n Sew
Mike:

Here are the two pictures I took.

First is of the "mini-topper" -- as you can see, it is the same width as the pontoon:

This is just the side of the pontoon.  I won't say for sure that it is 6' versus 8'.  Would like to go back and remeasure and am kicking myself for not taking a picture of the old topper but knee was really po'd by then as I climbed up inside the thing.  First step was a killer.  May try and go back tomorrow or Monday if schedule works out and look at the old top.  Anyway, here is the other picture:

Any pricing advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Don't want to bid too high but want to get a price that is fair to me as well.

Thanks!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mike

im not sure what a "topper measures 12.5' x 6' " on a 16' pontoon.

but to replace the bimini canvas  6'x6'
5 yards od canvas 5 zippers for zippered pockets  $ 480  and ask then to bring the boat to me more as travled requires   if you need to make a full snap on cover?  $ 1075 again bring to me  moew to travel and pattern

Virgs Sew n Sew

Holy Crap Mike! 

Yes, it is a full snap-on cover.  I had a guy helping me to measure (holding the tape) and he always came up and looked at the end of the tape I was holding to see what the measurements were.  My brain just kicked in.  It is 16 x 8 as it is full snap on.  I was measuring end to end and didn't include wrap around fabric to get to the existing snaps.  Also didn't know what the correct terminology was.  Now I know what a bimini was and that I should call the main cover a full snap-on cover. 

When you factor in canvas, snaps, zippers prices aren't as excessive but sounds that way at first.  What canvas do you normally use.  I ordered a Sunbrella catalog a few years ago but I'm not sure if there is a better marine canvas to use or not.  No travel as the boat is at a car dealership less than a mile from our house.  Boat would not fit in our garage and I would probably get a divorce if I tried to put it in there anyway as Mr. Corvette does not sit outside (so says husband).  My HHR is always outside but whatever.  I will also pick up the old canvas on both the cover and bimini.

Thanks again for your input.  Very much appreciated.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

QuoteNo travel as the boat is at a car dealership less than a mile from our house.

That is still travel. Sure it's only a few minutes, but times X number of trips to the boat it adds up. It's maybe 25 yards from my shop over to the big shop and if I have a boat in there instead of beside the upholstery shop I see a difference in how long it takes.

QuoteI will also pick up the old canvas

It's nice to have a reference like that to see how it was done before but DO NOT TRY TO PATTERN FROM the old canvas. I've tried to cheat a few times (usually customer saying their old gazebo cover fit just fine...just make me a new one) and it is never as good as patterning to the boat. It is often "do-over" bad.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

OK, point taken and much appreciated.  Will go research on patterning for full snap on covers and bimini.  I've had several calls the last couple of years but turned them down because of all that was going on with MIL's illness, nursing home, passing, etc.  I had a couple of real struggling to keep up years.  I'm pretty much caught up now, despite the knee so am looking forward to doing (and learning) these more technical type projects. 

The tri city area (Grand Island, Kearney and Hastings) does not seem to have many upholsterers that are willing to tackle marine projects.  Myself, I enjoy them so bring them on.

Thanks again!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

lizzieb

Check out the video from sailrite.com on pontoon and bimini covers - very helpful.
Good luck!! Lizzieb

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: lizzieb on May 24, 2016, 08:56:43 pm
Check out the video from sailrite.com on pontoon and bimini covers - very helpful.
Good luck!! Lizzieb

Thanks!

I'll check it out!  I also purchased Ken B.'s 5 DVD set.  One is on Auto & Marine Fundamentals.  I'll watch that DVD as well and see what pointers I can pick up from it.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

I haven't seen Ken's DVD's yet, but will re watch Sailrite's . It's been a while since it came up last but I remember my on going narrative getting me the same look as when I mutter during a Hollywood war flick. Keep your eye on your e-mail Virg.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

does any one have the link to the short version we shared last time? All I'm finding are the hour long + installments.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mike on May 20, 2016, 06:51:00 pm
im not sure what a "topper measures 12.5' x 6' " on a 16' pontoon.

but to replace the bimini canvas  6'x6'
5 yards od canvas 5 zippers for zippered pockets  $ 480  and ask then to bring the boat to me more as travled requires   if you need to make a full snap on cover?  $ 1075 again bring to me  moew to travel and pattern

OK, so I called the dude this morning.  I actually went $200 less total since it is Nebraska not Florida and I am not Mike's caliber but will still do a darn good job.  You could hear in his voice that he was taken aback by the price and finally said that he didn't think it would be that expensive.  So, I explained that was all fabric, thread, snaps, zippers and Velcro as well as sales tax on all material.  That seemed to settle him a bit.  He said that he'd go on-line to Sunbrella to see what their color selection is like.  May never hear from him again, time will tell.  I do know that people look high and low in our area to find anyone willing to work on marine projects so I'm not sure he's got a lot of options.

Thanks again for your input.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

QuoteI do know that people look high and low in our area to find anyone willing to work on marine projects

If there is that little marine work being done around there he probably had no clue how big a job those are and what they are worth. " Just sew up a couple of pieces of canvas and put some snaps in---maybe $100 ??"

brmax

About 8' wide and 16' long plus the 18" over the side if I'm hearing right, this probably isn't with the seat or steering tower. I would tell them you require 3 supports, I cannot see all the stuff on deck but how the storage for this is a big deal to me. Anyhoo I'm at 18y for just the toon with 6 as an around the side band and 12 for the top running front to rear, please let me know what it actually works up to.
It sounds very cheap to me at 1200 if I'm pickn that up correctly Virginia, by the way what sunbrella material in particular is of interest.

Good day there
Floyd