Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:14:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Still a newbie, it seems.

Started by Darren Henry, May 25, 2016, 04:26:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

So I guess I didn't starve out of making shoes long enough ago to consider myself "experienced". maybe some old timers like Paul and Dennis have run into this type of recliner before, but I haven't seen one in the 21 years I've been at this;

There is no "control" for the mechanism (no levers, no springs, etc...) it's just manually forced into the position of choice. It is padded in foam and  the fabric is stapled on to the solid hardwood frame(s), but the staples are exactly where you would expect tacks to be laid out and the arms are hand stitched where they cross the fabric on the back of the arms/base. 

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

From your explaination Darren it doesn't sound to difficult or out of the ordinary except the hand stitching parts. They may very well not be required. If the hand stitching want there would it present a problem?
  The staples being where you would expect tacks to be sounds OK. Take it a piece at a time and it should all fall together. The foot rest is a piece of cake :)
  If there is no lock for the mech that is kind of unique but not heard of as long as it stays closed its fine. By design.
  Take many pictures when removing the mech so you get it back together the exact same way.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Looks like a Strato-Lounger with that pop up headrest.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

It is no problem to re upholster and the mechanism is dead simple to replace ( I actually am leaving it on the seat frame the way the cushion is made).

I only mentioned the hand stitching and the fact that the last upholsterer was obviously tack spittin'' age to try to get a sense of how old it might be.

That pop up head rest and the manual recline where what was new to me. Strato lounger is not a brand I've heard of around here. Laz-y-boy was the big name until Berkeline came around.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!