Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:02:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sam Maloof

Started by baileyuph, February 22, 2013, 06:35:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Bringing this wood craftsman name up is to remind Hammer and Gene that one of his wood chairs (solid walnut/cherry) sold for $52,000, back on the East Coast. For those not familiar, Maloof is the designer who made the chair that was presented to Ronald Reagan, back in the 80's. 

Some readers are aware of this famous craftsman, but in particular I bring it to attention because - Hammer and Gene - are probably up to date on his biography.  The man made a very strong living in his "studio" Gene.

He was a Jew fellow, born in Los Angeles 1916, with parents who had emmigrated there from Lebanon.  Very interesting story of a craftsman, who was an naturally inspired designer who put his ideas into designing and building solid modernistic wood rockers.  Incredible story to say the least.  He died in 2009.  Each copy he produced, in the last 25 years,  sold before he finished for over $25,000. 

What made me think of this, was one of his students, who studied at his studio for a short, attemded one of his siminars, while walked into my shop this week.  He has made a few chairs for himself and is thinking about adding upholstery pads to another.  When I saw the photos of his chair, I mentioned it was a Sam Maloof design, he was excited that I had also followed the Sam Maloof story.

This might mean something to Hammer and Gene, something they will know about. A designer by gift who translated his ideas into wood rockers in a very modernistic way.  He was so intricate he could build a delicate sweeping design that would serve an adult without using screws to hold it together.  Very intricately fitted wood joints.  The story goes on.....explaining that his work was very unusual doesn't give the story the deserved meaning.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Yes, Sam Maloof was one of a kind and had a signature style of chairs.   While some of his associates have continued after his recent death, there are lots of people who make "Maloof-style chairs."

For those unfamiliar:
http://www.sam-maloof.com/gallery.htm

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/14235/sam-maloof-1916-2009
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison