Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

newby question on machine

Started by zach7399, May 07, 2012, 02:15:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zach7399

hey everyone im new to upholstery completely and wanting a good starter machine that will last me a long time funds arent really a problem looking to spend around 1500 on a machine but will spend more if you think need be or would i be fine with either one of these  also im looking to do auto upholstery only also i hear walking foot is better is that what you auto guys would try to buy
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/2941559115.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/2941489379.html

sofadoc

Between the 2 Craigslist listings that you linked, The LU-563  is what you want, although a grand might be a little steep for a machine that old.
If you got up to $1500 to spend, you could get a brand new Consew 206 and have money left over.
http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/33a8c038d76a4e2bab24ed25ee1f229f

Yes, you definately want a walking foot machine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I agree with Sofa,
  Buy a new one and no worries. You can't go wrong with the 206rb. If it were me any money wasn't an issue I'd go with a Phaf. But the Consews are good machines.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

zach7399

thanks guys thats alotta help what about motor and table those are sold seperate right what do you recommend  as far as that also would i need a different machine to do real leather upholstery ..... like i say i really know nothing im starting completly from scratch and plan on learning from some upholstery training dvds which im waiting on to arrive now just kinda wanted to go ahead and get everything i need to start i figure i should be able to teach myself for less than going to school also considering theirs no schools near me and i have a kid and mortgage and shop to run i have roughly 15,000 im willing to spend to get it right im going to pick up new bucket seats for my truck and going to start on them being as its a crew cab and im going to put buckets all the way around i can start by learning on those switch out then do the fronts and put them in the rear so any help yall can give to get me started im all ears really want to learn to add on to the stuff we already do at my family owned and operated custom shop in a small town also need good places to order fabric and possibly hook up with some wholesalers for supplies

MinUph

The link that sofa gave you is for the machine head, stand, and a lamp. It probably comes with a flat foot for flat seam sewing. You might want a welt foot and possible other feet later. Some thread and time to learn. This will get you started sewing anyway. You may even ask Gregg @ Keystone Sewing he might have a good used machine he can recommend.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

You could also buy this, and still come in under budget:
http://store.keysew.com/parts/walking-foot-starter-package

Cording feet, zipper feet, needles, oiler, 2lbs. of thread. Sweet deal.

Mojo

The LU 563 is way over priced. A 563 in very good condition would be around $ 600 - 700. That machine looks like it has been around bit. :)

I would do what the others say and spring for a new Consew 206rb5. They are the workhorse of
the industry and extremely reliable. Attachments for them are dirt cheap and plentiful. Also another great machine is the Chandler 406. I bought a new one from Bob Kovar / Toledo Machine Co. at an awesome price. It has been an awesome machine for me and I would buy another in a heartbeat. Bob is one of our site sponsors as is Greg. Bob's number is - 419-380-8540.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a machine off E-Bay, especially a new one. The vast majority never see the dealers hands and are drop shipped to you. There is a lot of adjusting to be done on new machines sometimes. Bob took my machine out of the box, adjusted it and set it up to sew and then boxed it and shipped it to me. here is the Chandler -

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/chandler-406rb.html

If you buy a new machine buy one or have it added at the time of purchase a servo motor. Since your new this will save you alot of headaches learning to control a clutch motor. They are fairly cheap. I have one on my Chandler as well as my Juki 563.

BTW, speaking of Juki 563, I bought mine used but in excellent shape for $ 400 complete with table. It is a very smooth running machine.

Chris

zach7399

thanks you guys are awesome and a lot of help im going to go with the 206rb5 which upgrades would yall go with and what all else should i buy from there while im getting i have nothing now or should i just call greg and let him sell on some stuff also wheres a good place to buy material

sofadoc

Maybe the auto guys will have some suggestions. But from my point of view, that starter package will go a long way in getting you started.

scarab29

Have that machine. Consew that is. these are the accessories i use almost every day.
1 . welt foot. Greg sells one with the back cut out , better on tight turns.

2 . zipper foot . also from greg @ key sewing

3 . extra bobbin case and bobbin spools.

4 . binder attachment.  I actually have 2 , I have a fold away custom binder in 1 " and  a straight binder in 3/4" . Use the 1" almost always.

When you get thread get 2 spools so you can wind the bobbins as you are sewing. Can't think of much else right now but if I do I will add. Great machine without spending a fortune .
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

Scarab hit the nail on the head. Those attachments will get your started. Maybe later down the road you can add to them once you get more involved in the trade.

I cannot stress enough that Bob or Greg are two premier dealers and I highly recommend you buy through them. The reason being is because you will always have the backing of awesome customer service. Both are always there when you need them and your going to have a whole lot of questions as you go.

Stay away from buying online. These people sell you machines and could careless about you after the sale. Trust me I know. been there and had it done to me. Also please consider a servo motor since your a newbie. It will make learning to sew much quicker and easier. Both of my machines have servos and I wouldn't stitch without them.

Best of luck,

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on May 08, 2012, 08:21:17 am
Stay away from buying online. These people sell you machines and could careless about you after the sale.
We had a great example of that recently on the other forum. A guy bought a Pfaff from an E-bay store. Within a day or 2, the screws that affect the timing worked loose. The E-bay store offered nothing more than a manual download. He finally had to pay a serviceman out of his own pocket, which absorbed the money he saved from buying online.
If you're experienced enough to service your own machine, you can save a few bucks buying from E-bay stores. But if not, heed Mojo's advice.

DDandJ

I like the starter kit which Sofadoc linked in.  I have a Consew 206RB-1.  I have a flat foot, a 1/4" welting foot and a double welting foot.  I don't have a zipper foot.

I hate to show my ignorance, but what is the difference between a servo motor and a clutch motor?  I've got a clutch motor on my Consew.  What is the advantage of a servo?

Tejas

Zach,

I'm also a novice sewer that recently went through similar decisions. Initially, I acquired a Singer 111W155  that was a wonderful machine to learn on and decide if I really was wanted to continue. The 111W155 lacked reverse, knee lift and had a small bobbin, and after several small to medium sized projects, I became really interested, attended marine canvas sewing classes and planned to upgrade. Reading lots of posts here, following craigslist and ebay, I decided to acquire a new machine made in either Germany or Japan. While German machines might be superior, the price also seemed superior, so I bought a Juki 1508N from Keysew.

My understanding is that new Consew machines are made in China. I've used two earlier Consew machines made in Japan and prefer the Juki.

As a beginner sewer, I completely agree with the recommendation to get a servo motor. The 111W155 came up with a clutch motor which I upgraded to a servo motor, also acquired from Keysew.

As for what you need to get started, I think that some earlier posts might low-ball what you might need. You might want to budget $500 at the low end to $1K -- shears, nippers, clamps, tables, lighting, rulers, splines .... For example, I'm still struggling with fabric management (and patterning and sequence, and ...) and for fabric management I got three, four-foot folding tables from Costco that can be arranged in various configurations for fabric management -- about $100. Another example, a post recommended two spools of thread, one for sewing the other for bobbin-filling. I use Tenara thread, and Tenara thread is $100 - $125 a spool.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Quote from: DDandJ on May 08, 2012, 10:03:47 am
I hate to show my ignorance, but what is the difference between a servo motor and a clutch motor?  I've got a clutch motor on my Consew.  What is the advantage of a servo?
The servo motor is noiseless, vibrationless, less energy consumption, and because it has multiple speed settings, you can turn the speed down really slow for tedious jobs.
With a clutch motor, the motor is always turning. It just doesn't drive the belt unless you engage the clutch. The servo doesn't turn until you mash the pedal. Kinda like those tankless water heaters that heat "on demand", instead of a heating element that keeps 50 gallons of water hot 24/7.
You know how with a clutch motor, you have to find that "neutral" spot before you can rotate the wheel by hand? Not with a servo.
Having said all that, if you're happy with your clutch motor, there's no immediate reason to run out and buy a servo. But if and when you're in the market for an upgrade, it's worth considering.