Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:46:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl strech issues

Started by jeepdoc, May 07, 2012, 10:24:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

I have a customer that brought in this new old stock vinyl. very thick and heavy grained i patterned my seat as usual added for allowance but with almost no streach seems to be too small. So i added a little here little there now too baggy what gives. I never have had to yet but would steaming the smaller one( that should fit) make it work? This stuff is terriable and its ugly also very deep grained very thick  stuff. on top of it they are bolsted bench seats with inside curves. bu the time im done making the ends look right the middles are too tight ive done other seats of this style with different vinyls and they come out good

DBR1957

Steaming might work.

I know this goes against everyones desire to good work but the old standard
applies. No warranty on customer supplied material. I have no hesitation telling
this to a customer. You have to tell them beforehand though.

sofadoc

Quote from: DBR1957 on May 07, 2012, 11:22:11 am
No warranty on customer supplied material. I have no hesitation telling
this to a customer. You have to tell them beforehand though.
That's certainly my policy. But I don't think that I've ever had to tell that to a customer. Even the most stubborn bull-headed unreasonable customer has enough common sense to know that I'm not going to warranty fabric/vinyl that I didn't furnish.
I've had plenty of COM jobs that didn't last very long. Not once has the customer demanded any type of warranty from me. If they ever did, it would take me 5 minutes just to stop laughing. ;D :P

I've had a few jobs like jeepdoc is talking about, where I didn't realize how unworkable the fabric was until I started cutting. I have no hesitations about calling and telling them to furnish something else.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jeepdoc

Yeah thats what I feel like telling him but already too far into it now just bothers me to put something out there like that. Im going to try the seam on it---- pull like you know what i guess it is what it is.

Eaglewis

Being new to the craft, I am not up on fabric quality yet. I have been to joannes and the stuff they sell for 30 bucks a yard looks good to me and they tell me "that is the stuff upholsterers use". Can someone enlighten me to the difference. And how do you actually go about telling a customer you don't guarantee the work with their fabric if they paid 30-40 dollars a yard at such a store like johannes or hancock fabrics.

Thanks,
Wade

BigJohn

I've used my wife's clothes dryer with great success, but don't over do.

big John

jeepdoc

I think what he ment is this cust brought in his own material from who knows where and how long its been sitting. If you pick it out at least you know what your working with.The steam seems t help pretty good new rule never again ill stick to what i know works im going to use pics of these seats as a selling point saving 2 dollars a yard is foolish

Mojo

Joanns does sell some Spralding. I have used it on some of my own outdoor projects and it has held up extremely well in the Florida sun. Actually I have been shocked at how well it held up. If it can handle the UV rays in Florida it can handle anything. :)

I never pay retail for anything at Joann's. I always use a 40 or 50 % off coupon. Sign up in the store and they will send them to you. In the beginning of my career I bought a lot of fabric from Joann's to learn to sew on. I was a regular visitor to their remnant rack. :)

Chris

Mike

May 08, 2012, 04:46:49 am #8 Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:48:40 am by Mike
Thoose all white  seatsi have add corlor to is spaulding from miami the coror thAt is.  
Having a good time off i hope chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Eaglewis on May 07, 2012, 07:15:17 pm
And how do you actually go about telling a customer you don't guarantee the work with their fabric if they paid 30-40 dollars a yard at such a store like johannes or hancock fabrics.
I guarantee my WORK. Just not the fabric.

I have customers bring stuff back in a year or 2 later. The fabric has ravelled at the seams, or the finish has worn off. Or there's a big hole in it for no apparent reason.
Sometimes the fabric/vinyl has become brittle in short order. So far, none of them have ever even hinted that I should make good on it.

I've never had any of those problems with fabric that I furnished. If I ever do, I'll stand behind it.

JMO, but every fabric brought to me from Joanns has been crap. But I don't remember any of it being even close to $30 a yard. COM customers around here think that they've really splurged when they pay around $17.99.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jeepdoc

I agree with sofadoc when I was a newbie i bought stuff from ther just hope you dont run out cause they never seem to get more. Dont know if they are a clearing house but lesson learned use a rep supplier not only is the material better but you can alway order more. Again this stuff im working with is not from one of those places this stuff looks to be early 90s stuff probably off ebay or some close out center. Just total crap

DBR1957

Quote from: sofadoc on May 08, 2012, 05:17:16 am
Quote from: Eaglewis on May 07, 2012, 07:15:17 pm
And how do you actually go about telling a customer you don't guarantee the work with their fabric if they paid 30-40 dollars a yard at such a store like johannes or hancock fabrics.
I guarantee my WORK. Just not the fabric.

I have customers bring stuff back in a year or 2 later. The fabric has ravelled at the seams, or the finish has worn off. Or there's a big hole in it for no apparent reason.
Sometimes the fabric/vinyl has become brittle in short order. So far, none of them have ever even hinted that I should make good on it.

I've never had any of those problems with fabric that I furnished. If I ever do, I'll stand behind it.

JMO, but every fabric brought to me from Joanns has been crap. But I don't remember any of it being even close to $30 a yard. COM customers around here think that they've really splurged when they pay around $17.99.

Exactly! Plus how can you warranty fabric that you didn't sell and made no profit
on?

Rich

New old stock? How old? Vinyl will begin to lose flexibility over time even if it's not on a seat. The vinyl itself may be stiff, but the backing plays a big part too. Some vinyls were never intended to make sharp turns, rather they were used on high wear areas like the backs of seats. Any heat will help, but it just might be the nature of the beast to be so stiff.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

jeepdoc

Rich think you hit it on the head this stuff i dont think was made for this application. I have been able with some heat make it better but jt is what it is. Ive explained it to the cust i think he will be ok with it looks better than the duct tape.

forsailbyowner

again the material may not  be made for sewing at all. My brother works for a company, walbridge that does seating in a factory setting. Many of the seats are made with a vinyl that is very heavy and used in a vacuum mold where the vinyl is heated and sucked into shape into a mold then the foam is shot into the mold making a "bun" at least thats what they call it. By the time the vinyl is heated and stretched its about normal weight. Youll see these seats on jetskis, golf carts implements etc... Ive tried to work with this stuff and its a no go. It likes to rip at the seams and like you mentioned without heat wont stretch much at all.