Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 09:47:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Date this chair

Started by kodydog, December 05, 2011, 06:57:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

December 05, 2011, 06:57:08 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:01:58 pm by kodydog
Picked up this chair last weekend at an estate sale. I'm having a hard time pinning a date to it. I know it's not an antique but its for resale and the older the better. I'm hoping its from the 1940's but that's probably wishful thinking. More likely 50's maybe even 60's. I striped it down to get a better idea of the age.

The top of the back has a unique design, but that probably doesn't date it

What makes me think its old is there was no poly foam used and the base for the seat and back was this mat type material. I think its horse hair. And a thick layer of cotton over that.

Here's the back of the mat.

The front of the arm was covered

And when I took the cover off there was finished wood underneath.

The finish is in exceptional shape but I'm sure its been redone.

The only thing that tells me it's not old are the No Sag Springs. Although they are held together with little springs rather than edge wire.

Does anyone know when this type spring was first used. Couldn't find any info on Google.

Honest opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks all

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

kodydog,
  It doesn't look all that old. It looks like a large staple on the front leg/leg joint. Ziggar bases have been around a long time so it could be 50 or so. The fill looks more like straw from the picture. Hair is much thinner strands.
  Id venture a guess maybe the 60s or 70s.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

ibstitchen

I agree. Probably 60's - 70's chair. I'm looking forward to see your finished project. Hope you post photo's of it.

fingers

Any earlier then the 60's would be a stretch.

sofadoc

Has anyone researched the exact orgin/first use of No-sag springs? That would go a long way in determining the earliest possible age for that chair.
I'm guessing mid-60's.

But like I tell my customers, "Today's reproductions are tomorrow's antiques".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I can't. I'm already married. LOL

I agree with the others, post 1960.

I thought I had read somewhere about the introduction of sinuous springs, a.k.a. S springs, a.k.a. zig zag springs, but I can't remember. It would be interesting to know when they came on the scene. My guess would be 1930's.

How do you sell your chairs? Internet, Craigslist local, newspaper, work of mouth, store front, consignment stores?

Thank you for your reply on the other post about this topic. I appreciate your comment that you focus on chairs. That is food for thought.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Joys Shop

I believe that padding is sisal

Wish we could still get them, they are very good padding to put on top of springs

baileyuph

Date of chair:  late 60's to possibly up into the 80's.  The finish on the wood looks to be lacquer also.

Zig-zag came into use in the 50's.  A review of furniture as well as auto supports that.  Early 50's cars were coils with metal wires and support.  By the mid 50's use of coils was significantly reduced.

kodydog

Thanks all for your expert opinions. I think I'll call it vintage and if anyone asks I'll say 1960's.

Paul, If you would PM your address I'd love to send you a piece of the matting. I don't think its straw but I don't think its hair either. I don't know what it is.

IBstitchin, I will post the finished product. Hope to finish it this week. Here's a pic of the fabric my wife picked out.

A real attention getter. Its called Williamsburg Ming Garden and the design is approved by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Neat.

Gene I'm going to start a new topic to answer your question.

ibstitchen

Your wife picked a nice print. I think it will look great on that chair. 

alge

December 07, 2011, 02:02:58 am #10 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:04:13 am by alge
Hi Kody,

sorry for the late response, I understand that No-sag springs were invented in the 40's  but like you i have'nt been able source the answer myself,  but my colleague fired this link my way

http://www.nosag.com.br/site_nosag_eng/empresa.htm   :D

Rubberised hair or coir, or even hair and coir mix (which i think yours is due to the fibre combination) has been around since the fifties. I still use it a lot as an alternative to traditional or foam, the rational being my customers can get a natural filling but with a more modern process and closer to foam price.

http://www.cocolatex.com/rubberisedcoir.htm this site is just the cocolock (coir and latex)

You can even stitch it to make a faux top stitch so it feels a bit like traditional.  ;D

Alex

kodydog

Thanks Alex, that was just the info I was looking for. Molas NoSag do Brasil was founded in 1949. Gene was right. I guess in my arrogance I always thought No-Sag was a U.S. company.

The Coco Latex link is interesting to. Sounds like a good natural alternative to poly foam.

gene

December 07, 2011, 06:15:13 pm #12 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:16:56 pm by gene
kodydog, could that be shredded coconut?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Ya know that is kinda what it looks like. When you pull one of the strands out its not smooth like hair. I'm sending a piece to Paul tomorrow. See what he thinks. That would be cool to put that in the description of the chair.

sofadoc

Getting back to No-sag springs. While they may have been introduced in the 40's, I think it was probably several more years before they were fully embraced by American furniture factories. I don't see many chairs with them that I could confidently place before the mid 50's.

What's ironic is, that No-sag springs require very strong wood to anchor them. So as they became more common, the wood got softer. To the point that I now see them mounted to wafer board.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban