Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 12:29:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Date this chair

Started by kodydog, December 05, 2011, 06:57:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Sofa, I once read somewhere that it generally takes 20 years for a product to go from introduction to mainstream. Examples: Television sets, cell phones, PC's. I have an Ice Box I salvaged from the family farm. My mom dates it to 1920. Even though electric refrigerators were widely used then they chose ice.

This would mean no-sags became standard use in manufacturing in the late 60's. Does this sound about right to you? 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 08, 2011, 06:21:46 am
This would mean no-sags became standard use in manufacturing in the late 60's. Does this sound about right to you?

Depends on how you define "Standard use". I think there was a fair amount of furniture in the late 50's with No-sags. But yeah, I don't think they really "took off" until the late 60's.
The VCR was invented in the early 60's, but you didn't see it in homes until the late 70's (and the damn thing weighed 100 lbs.). 

Speaking of dating chairs, a lady called me a few years ago and offered to pay me my normal service call fee if I would simply come to her home and assess the age of her La-Z-Boy recliner (in order to settle a bet that she had with her sister).
Armed with the knowledge that all La-Z-boys have a tag stapled to the inside rear seat frame that clearly states the date of manufacture, I said "Sure, I'll be right there".
When I arrived, it was apparent that the 2 sisters had been bickering about it for quite some time.
I pulled the tag off, and showed them that the recliner was made in 1967.
While one sister began laughing maniacly, the other sister insisted that someone had placed that tag there falsely.
She contended that "My mama rocked me in that chair back in 19 hunnert and 42".
I certainly didn't want any of THAT arguement. I collected my fee and left.

BTW The difference between dating chairs and dating women?
The chair usually isn't as old as you thought. The woman is usually OLDER.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Lynn

I agree with the general consensus of 1960 - 1970. 1960 makes it 50 years old - an antique in some circles! Personally I think they have to be over 100 years to be classed as antique.
Anyone know for sure? (it's definately 100 years in th UK)

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

alge

Lynn

Its true to say 100 years is the norm but the market is dictating the change towards shorter periods. "classic" is being used more "vintage" too.

The market for mid century modern is massive here.

Kody

If you want to put in a like for like filling, once you have identified the consistency i could possibly post you some out (if sourcing within the us is no longer possible) like i said previously we still use these types of filling a lot in the uk.

kodydog

Thanks for the offer Alex. The mat padding is still in pretty good shape. The seat will need some more padding as you can feel the springs beneath it. Its not a period piece or anything like that so I think I'll just use a little poly foam under the cotton that's on it.

I sent a sample of the mat padding to Paul yesterday. Hope he has a better idea what it is. I'd like to put it in the description when I sell the chair.

kodydog

Quote from: Joys Shop on December 06, 2011, 05:30:39 am
I believe that padding is sisal

Wish we could still get them, they are very good padding to put on top of springs

Maybe Joy. This from wikipedia.

Sisal (Agave sisalana) is an agave that yields a stiff fibre traditionally used in making twine, rope and also dartboards. The term may refer either to the plant or the fibre, depending on context. It is sometimes incorrectly referred to as sisal hemp because hemp was for centuries a major source for fibre, so other fibres were sometimes named after it.

The plant's origin is uncertain; while traditionally it was deemed to be a native of Yucatan, there are no records of botanical collections from there. H.S. Gentry hypothesized a Chiapas origin, on the strength of traditional local usage. In the 19th century, sisal cultivation spread to Florida, the Caribbean islands and Brazil, as well as to countries in Africa, notably Tanzania and Kenya, and Asia. The first commercial plantings in Brazil were made in the late 1930s and the first sisal fibre exports from there were made in 1948. It was not until the 1960s that Brazilian production accelerated and the first of many spinning mills was established. Today Brazil is the major world producer of sisal. There are both positive and negative environmental impacts from sisal growing.

Traditionally used for rope and twine, sisal has many uses, including paper, cloth, wall coverings and carpets.

For more info,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisal

gene

http://www.google.com.au/patents?id=HvkBAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA3&dq=sinuous+furniture+springs&hl=en&ei=H8biTrexJObZ0QHMv53UBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CEkQ6AEwCDge#v=onepage&q=sinuous%20furniture%20springs&f=false

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I grew up in the family mattress renovating/furniture upholstery business.
We used sheets of sisal to cover the innersprings on box springs. The scraps, we used to tack over springs on chairs (I remember seeing a lot of sisal scraps sewn together).  It looked just like sisal rope, only in mat form. It was a great foundation for building up a seat.

Mattress renovation? Yup. My grandfather would come to your home, pick up your mattress. Take it back to the shop. Cut the tufting, and the lacing along the edge. Remove the cover. Re-gin, and re-pack your old cotton.  Put a new cover on. Re-tuft, re-lace. Return the mattress to your home the same day (same day service was a MUST in the renovating biz).....all for $30.

gene

Most upholterers seem to have grown up in the business or have grown up in a similar type business. I do not have any such background experience which certainly adds to one's abilities and knowledge.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

There is definitely some hair in this. It smells like hair when you burn it. But not much is there. The rest is plant material could be the shredded coconut mentioned as it looks like the outer shell fibers of a coconut. Or some other plant as there are branch sections like a plant. It is not straw, or moss. When it is matted together it looks like hair pad but looking at it closely I don't see hair but the smell burnt is undeniably hair. So if you want to call it something call it a blend of fibers containing hair and young plant material possibly coconut fibres.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

A very interesting thread. 

How come I have to scroll left to right to read the entire posts?  Has anyone else had to do this?

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on December 10, 2011, 11:50:31 am
How come I have to scroll left to right to read the entire posts?  Has anyone else had to do this?
Every now and then, there's a thread that "Goes wide" on us. Not sure what the deal is. I didn't notice it on this one until Gene posted that patent link.

kodydog

December 10, 2011, 04:39:43 pm #27 Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:53:08 pm by kodydog
Quote from: MinUph on December 10, 2011, 11:29:22 am
So if you want to call it something call it a blend of fibers containing hair and young plant material possibly coconut fibres.

Perfect description Paul. Hope you don't mind if I barrow it. Never in a million years would I think to burn the padding to see what its made of. You must be a forensic furniture detective. Thanks for your help, I owe you one.

Wow jean you have sinuous springs dated to 1936. Never dreamed they were that old. Interesting how the coil springs are on top of the sinuous springs.

Quote from: sofadoc on December 09, 2011, 08:47:29 pm

Mattress renovation? Yup. My grandfather would come to your home, pick up your mattress. Take it back to the shop. Cut the tufting, and the lacing along the edge. Remove the cover. Re-gin, and re-pack your old cotton.  Put a new cover on. Re-tuft, re-lace. Return the mattress to your home the same day (same day service was a MUST in the renovating biz).....all for $30.

Talk about nostalgia. Could you see doing that in this day and age?

MinUph

Kody it was written for you so by all means use it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Here's my 60's era curved back occasional chair. Covered in a floural Williamsburg Ming Garden design, approved by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Padding includes a blend of fibers containing hair and young plant material possibly coconut fibers.

For some reason my camera doesn't like this fabric. See how the top of the seat is blurred. I tried several different settings on the camera and different angles but couldn't make it go away.