Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:25:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Joann's Fabrics Rant

Started by jojo, April 29, 2011, 03:17:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Man, I hate this place. I've never seen such surly attitudes in retail.

I went to get a few yards of white marine vinyl. While in line, I noticed that the first almost yard of fabric had greasy handprints on it. So when I get to the cutting table I ask her to cut off the dirty part. She says dismissively "oh, that'll wipe right off." Ok guys, am I a bitch for not wanting to pay $15 yd for dirty fabric?
So I say, "We don't know this for sure, and it's not something I'm willing to do when I get home." She actually says "Well I'm not cutting off a piece that big; it's a waste."
Now I just can't beleive my ears. She goes in the back and gets a wet paper towel and tries to wash the dirt off, but of course, it wouldn't come off. So now she's really bent out of shape, as if Joann's is gonna go out of business because a yard of fabric is damaged.

So she measures it out and starts to fold it! I ask her if she can please put it on a roll (and I swear to God you guys, I was perfectly pleasant the whole time). You would've though I was asking her to sacrifice her first born. She rolled her eyes and made an exasperated sigh.
It's always an experience like this whenever I go there. I hate this place!!!!!!!

Rant over. thanks.

sofadoc

Joann's, and other stores like it seem to have the attitude of "Hey! This stuff is cheap, so don't complain". Maybe they have a point.
I went in to a Joanns store ONCE, looked around, and left. While everything was cheap, I didn't really see anything that was worth the price they were asking.
Mediocrity only breeds more mediocrity, hence the surly attitude.
I bought some material in a store similar to Joanns  once. I simply asked them NOT to roll the fabric on the spool with the good side out. They refused.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

RandyOnR3

JoAnns has its place just like any other distributer.. somethings we buy there like the batting material and use our 50% coupon and its cheeper and of better quality than other places.. for our foam, we buy from Morgan Fabrics and buy the seconds at about 1/4 the price, Vinyl, comes from Tri-Vantage and our tubing comes from Keyston Bros..
  If you shop around, you'll find the better quality and wont have to put up with the crap..But if you buy everything from one sorce, expect to get hammered at times....
  My wife does a major part of our business sewing speciality garments as wedding dresses, Ball gowns and the such.. her sewing machines, Viking, Husqvarna, and singers, (I think she has 6 machines) including the new embroidery machine, all come from JoAnns.....and we wouldnt buy from any other place as we get a fantastic warrenty, (no questions asked) even thou we're using them for our business, and we get not only referrels from them but they also send us people who are taking our sewing classes..
  If you dont like the people cutting the fabric at JoAnns, remember, they are only making minamum wage and standing on their feet all day..  
  and then the next best thing to do talk to the manager of the store..

jojo

Randy, I know they make minimum wage; in fact, I used to work there a long time ago. and most of us here have at one time worked for minimum wage. It's not an excuse to act like a jerk.  And they should've taken the time to train her that vinyl can't be folded. I always say "never again" and then get in a bind and am forced to go there! Fortunately my trips there are very infrequent. Unfortunately, though, in my area, they are the only game in town. Which could explain why the attitudes go unchecked. I will probably write an email at their website.

gene

I checked your personal info to see if you lived in my city. LOL

I get the same thing at JoAnns. I too will occasionally buy their batting with a 50% coupon. I may buy a small item if I am in a hurry, but that's about it.

I am always getting their coupons via email. I don't think that's a good sign for their future to be sending out so many coupons and so often.

I threw out 35 fabric tubes today. I had asked Joanns twice in the past if they would want my tubes to use a second time. At least they are getting a second use before they go to the land fill. The first time the manager said no, they do not take anything for free from anyone. The second time, a new manager, interrupted me in the middle of my question, told me that I could not have any of their tubes, and walked away. LOL

All the workers here are older women. I have always had the impression that they are pissed off because they feel that they should not have to go to work every day. They deserve better than this. Anyway, I only have to deal with them for a few minutes every time I go there. They have to deal with themselves every second of every minutes of every hour of every day of ...

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Cheryl

Oh I LOVE JoAnn's.!!!     for  everything BUT upholstery.  ;D   And  the coupons too..  generally to purchase quilting and sewing notions.   8)    

I love to  walk through the store and  fondle every fabric... losing myself in the  colors and textures... dreaming of the day I can finally sew for ME!  A quilt in these colors...  a   fitted, lined jacket  with a buttoned  belt and  center pleated back  in  this fabulous courduroy --   OH!!   OH!!  this fleece would make *the*  CUTEST winter play set for my granddaughter...  

*Sigh*  my happy place....  :)
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

I have no problems at JoAnn's. They treat me like gold there.

It is always the same thing every time I shop there.

I walk in, the women stare at my handsome face, my 6 pack ab's, my cute butt and slim body and then drool all over themselves. They knock each other out of the way just to get the chance to wait on me.   :o

If you ladies need me to do your shopping for you, let me know. Give me the money and a list of the fabrics you need and I will be back in a jiffy with a bag of Hooters wings and a 6 pack of Diet Coke. :)

Chris

bobbin

I call JoAnn's the worst fabric store in the world.  The stock on hand for garment construction is absolutely dreadful... try to buy 100% wool gabardine, let alone a nice drapey wool crepe.  Those clowns all think wool is a "winter fabric"... like, umm... duh! there is such a thing as "tropical" weight, too!  Can you buy a nice rayon or high thread count pima cotton for blouses? nope.   Sleazy polyesters that catch every hangnail on your hand are not my idea of quality clothing fabric, thank you.

And they aren't "cheap", at all! in fact, my experience is that they charge entirely too much for stuff that I consider to be absolute crap.  And I am unwilling to peruse the flyers for relevant coupons, let alone make the trip to stand in an endless line to have the stuff cut.  My time is too valuable for that.  Mediocrity does indeed breed mediocrity. 

As for "customer service", having been a manager in a high end retail store for some years I can attest to the fact that it's imperative to insist that your staff is well trained and receives the necessary oversight to ensure proper levels of polite behavior.  And the "customer isn't always right".  I have to say that aside from a couple of young, nervous clerks the staff at our local branch is uniformly polite and helpful.  It's not their fault that the stock is crummy and they're required to cut fabric and foam with "toy" equipment.  I was horrified to watch a young clerk try to hand roll 15 yds. of blackout lining on a tube because she "didn't know how" to use the rolling machine.  Absolutely inexcusable, but ultimately not her fault, where was the manager and the training required to teach her how to use such an important, time saving piece of equipment??  Also, watching her cut foam with an electric carving knife was painful... if a store is going to sell foam why don't they have the proper equipment to cut it cleanly and efficiently??  I spoke the (mouth breathing) manager about both those things.  He was not pleased. 

Mike8560

I go there occonaly for some foam or glue. The ladies usualy tell me of a 1/2 off cupon and such. I have seem them steere people wronk on thread doing boat seats once.
You must be a real site Chris in there.  Lol to younride your bkenover and wear all your leather in?

Mojo

Mike:

No I do not wear my biker leather in there. I am afraid of giving the women a heart attack.......lol.

Imagine me walking in there with nothing on but my leather vest and my leather chaps. My fat butt poking out the back, my belly hanging over the buckle..............Good Golly Miss Molly. I better shut up. I may get June, Cheryl, Bobbin, Jojo, Suzi and the rest of the girls on this site puking.......lol.........:)

:)

Chris

kodydog

I don't know Chris, I think that would make a real cute avatar.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I'm OK with what you described Chris.  But, if you have major crack issues I may be the one to drop a dime down your drawers...

lol

Cheryl

LOL Chris... I dare say the Missus would prevent you from making such an, um...  "unacceptable  appearance" in public.  Now -- what you all do in private is between the two of you!  8)

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

jsquail

I avoid the place like the plague, and here is why:

I called in once looking for some 16-20 gauge needles for my old singer. I gave them the needle style number(s) and told them what gauge I was looking for. They asked me what the gauge meant.  I hung up. Laughed. Wont even go close to the store.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mojo

Sorry ladies. This is as close as anyone of you are going to get seeing me in leathers. The other pictures I cannot show................:)    8)
http://throgmartin.com/Photos/Motorcycles/Chris%202.jpg

Chris