Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:33:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to get started? Please read

Started by Miss_Blueberries, April 27, 2011, 07:13:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

It is a Brit's / Aussie expression.  My wife uses it quite a bit. I am going outside and get stuck into the garden. I am going to go to the office and get stuck into correcting tests.

In American terms it means I am going to go get engrossed in my work.

First time I heard that expression I couldn't figure it out either till my wife explained it. You think the Brit's have some weird sayings you should hear an Aussie from the country. They have their own language, terms and expressions.

I am pretty used to them by now but every now and then the wife throws me for a loop with a new one. :)

Chris

hidebound

Didnt mean to highjack but thanks for the explanation Rich and Chris.

alge

Rich

The point about being tutored in tandem to working for an upholsterer is to get access to various styles of upholstery and techniques, my master sent me to college for three years two days a week alongside my bench work, the idea being at college you can experiment on things that dont belong to anyone but yourself so in some cases make mistakes in other cases do work that the market place rarely provides, all done under the tutelage (i can only speak for lon-met) of upholsterers with rafts of experience (im the least experienced with only 22 years on the bench) and who are jobbing upholsterers for 50% of the working year(although i admitt there are some that cant do so teach). Internships are great but pretty much non existent, all too often its a chicken and egg situation. Need experience to get the job/placement cant get the experience without the job/placement.

alex

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Wow, what great post......it is wonderful to know that there are people from all over the world that are hungry to learn our trade.

I am the son of an upholsterer and he started his own shop back in 1960, when I was 4.

My dad was very careful NOT to teach me or my brother the trade......he wanted us to grow up to me "college men"......of course I did learn how to make buttons (tying a slip knot is a skill everyone should master), drive brass nails, basic trimming (in backs, out backs, skirts and dust covers) and of course the proper stripping techniques (how to be fast but thorough).

One of the most important skills I learned was walking backwards while carrying a piece of upholstered furniture (on a pick up or delivery). My dad use to say "I love you but I don't walk backwards".

If you strive to become a shop owner, here are some tips from my dad:
    Have pay day on Monday.....this will eliminate employees from laying out of work on Monday because they have a case of the "Budweiser Flu"
      Once you learn the upholstery skills, learn how to be the fabric cutter.. This is the most important position in a plant or a small shop. If you have upholstery skills first, they will make you a better cutter....you see things differently. Since you are the shop owner and you are having to either pay for the fabric or you are liable for the fabric that is supplied to you...... this is a skill you must master.
        Encourage your employees to "buy that new car".......if they have a car or house payment to make, then you know they will be into work.

Before my dad passed away, he asked me once how I learned the techniques required to produce some of the custom projects our company made. He said "I did not teach you how to do that." I said, "Dad, I was motivated to learn. I took their deposit and I spent it.....so I couldn't give it back. It is easier to learn new skills than it was to give a refund."

Welcome to our world. Good luck! Steve

Miss_Blueberries

May 01, 2011, 01:57:17 pm #19 Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:58:57 pm by Miss_Blueberries
        sterry56 - what a moving post! Lots of good advice, thank you!

Over all, I have contacted a few local people - none have really been in touch, but that's by e-mail - might be different if I give them a call!  ;D I'm planning on learning some basics first!

I'm awaiting a few books -this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upholstery-Bible-Step---Step-Professional/dp/0715329375/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304283041&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Easy-Upholstery-Alex-Law/dp/1906094454/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304283089&sr=8-3-fkmr0

I have also found a week long course in Somerset, taught by Cherry Dobson. Does anyone have any experiences of that place? http://www.lilacbarn.co.uk/

My place is to learn some basics there, and to be able to learn from home after. =)

There's also that course at London Metropolitan I'd like to get into - but probably that won't be til April?

Thankful for the advice - keep it coming!  8)

Also - what kind of tools would I need as a beginner? Are "sets" pretty crappy, or would it be good enough having one of those?

scottymc

Quote from: fragged8 on April 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm
        Quote from: hidebound on April 28, 2011, 03:43:59 am
            Pardon me for asking but,  what does the term to "get stuck in" mean?

i'd never thought of it as a Uk only term  ;D

It means to just get on with it ..

Miss Blueberry, why not try asking around your area
        and see if you can work a day or two with a good upholsterer
        for free ? like an internship .

I'd talk to antique dealers too as they usually have a list of trusted
        quality craftsmen.

working for free has to be better than paying for tuition as you will
        get real world training from people who know the trade from a commercial
        perspective.

Rich

I went to upholstery school for awhile and I found it great, as you have a tradesman who is there to answer your questions and tell you all he knows, most teacher have to be trades man to get into teaching jobs and have usually run there own business and communicate better so I reckon it is better, especially to pick up the basics . Where as if your in a working environment, no one has the time to go into detail, also I would not work for free, I have worked for minimum wage in order to be in an environment where I can soak it all up , I don't think you will learn much from someone that is not willing to give you anything,sorry Rich I'm not getting stuck into you ;)

scottymc

Quote from: Mojo on April 28, 2011, 05:34:07 pm
        It is a Brit's / Aussie expression.  My wife uses it quite a bit. I am going outside and get stuck into the garden. I am going to go to the office and get stuck into correcting tests.

In American terms it means I am going to go get engrossed in my work.

First time I heard that expression I couldn't figure it out either till my wife explained it. You think the Brit's have some weird sayings you should hear an Aussie from the country. They have their own language, terms and expressions.

I am pretty used to them by now but every now and then the wife throws me for a loop with a new one. :)

Chris
        Did not realize there was another page to this, having an Aussie wife you you would be used "She who must be obeyed" or "her indoors" getting "stuck into you".

Stephen

Quote from: Miss_Blueberries on April 27, 2011, 07:13:05 am
        I have scoured the web, and contacted several upholsterers in my area (none of them has answered...), and I can't find any suitable courses!

Basically, I was wondering if you could recommend any courses, apprenticeships or anything to get me started, I simple do not know where to begin!
        Thanks!!

Hi Miss Blueberries,
          How are doing with getting started in learning upholstery?
          I Realize that you wrote your message quite some time ago, but thought I'd give you a link to some more ideas about learn upholstery.  Go to this Link: Getting Started in Upholstery.

Best Wishes,
        Stephen

Lmc530

I too am just getting started and a new shop up and running.. Being a lifelong sewer since I was 11 years old.. Sewing has been my passion as long as I can remember..

I went on to get degrees and have worked in high end insurance jobs in NYC.. never to find the gratitude I really wanted.. Until one day I decided I could re-upholster our boat... there was born my new passion...

I walked unannounced into an upholsterer's one day and said I know how to sew.. but I want to upholster..!!   Then and there.. he told me to sit down at his Consew... I knew I was hooked...  So I went faithfully to work with this upholsterer... UNPAID.. so I could learn the trade hands-on..   Then he offered to sell me the business.. but my husband was very sick and I couldn't take the chance..

So now.. I've taken a big leap of faith and opened my own shop.. learning every day.. asking questions all the time..   I've even developed a great working relationship with another marine upholsterer here in CT that graciously helps me and answers my questions whenever I have them..

THIS IS A GREAT CREW here on the discussion board.... seek out their knowledge... Same with suppliers.. they're happy to help!! Good Luck...!!!!!