Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:30:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to get started? Please read

Started by Miss_Blueberries, April 27, 2011, 07:13:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss_Blueberries

Hello there,

Just a quick note with some questions from this newbie

I have a degree in visual merchandising that is not leading anywhere, and am now thinking about a career in upholstery - I can't bear an office job, I have to create!

I have scoured the web, and contacted several upholsterers in my area (none of them has answered...), and I can't find any suitable courses!

The only ones are once a week at an adult learning centre, and one is in Wales, £350 a day + hotel accomodation...

How to learn?! I want a degree that I can combine with visual merchandising business..

Basically, I was wondering if you could recommend any courses, apprenticeships or anything to get me started, I simple do not know where to begin!

Thanks!!

seamsperfect

Buy a machine get a used piece of furniture or seat. Before you actually recover it practice practice and practice.  Once you have a piece that is reupholstered and  well done you can take pics and show people your work.  If it is good then people will give you a chance.  If you keep doing good work you will get a reputation as such.  Good luck with your venture.  This is how I started my side business that turned into full time.......
Kevin

Lynn

I did the course in Wales back in 1995! It's an excellent course in traditional furniture reupholstery - if that's the type of work you want to do. It is very labour intensive and hard on the hands! there is a lot of antique furniture in the UK, so if you are good there is usually an endless supply of work. On the other hand, if you want to get into boats you will have to go to the States to North Coast to get basic training.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Miss_Blueberries

Thank you both!

Lynn - it is antique furniture I'd like to work with - just so crazily expensive to get into! *gulps*

Any books to recommend?

alge

Have you considered commuting to London to study? We currently have a student from Cardiff who comes over on a Sunday does two days and then heads back, our upholstery courses at London met uni work out at just under £40 per day over a 30 week program. If you combined a couple of years of study with working for an upholsterer part time you should gain enough experience within a few years to work on quality Antiques unguided.

The Association of Master Upholsterers website is a good place to start looking for credible courses, but as "seamsperfect" states, practice is what it is all about. It takes the average human around 5000 hours to acquire a new skill, then the same a gain to become confident and professional then the same again to master it. How fast you can progress will be determined by the hours you can put in.

If you go on to Amazon and put in Upholstery Books you will see several that are worth the money. David James Complete course is still a great book. If you want loads of pictures in a step by step guide using mainly traditional methods take a look at Quick and Easy Upholstery the title is an oxymoron as upholstery is rarely either of those things, and the book took Posy and I around 800 hours to write and photograph so it wasn't either to produce  ;D

Miss_Blueberries

Quote from: alge on April 27, 2011, 08:39:48 am
Have you considered commuting to London to study? We currently have a student from Cardiff who comes over on a Sunday does two days and then heads back, our upholstery courses at London met uni work out at just under £40 per day over a 30 week program. If you combined a couple of years of study with working for an upholsterer part time you should gain enough experience within a few years to work on quality Antiques unguided.

The Association of Master Upholsterers website is a good place to start looking for credible courses, but as "seamsperfect" states, practice is what it is all about. It takes the average human around 5000 hours to acquire a new skill, then the same a gain to become confident and professional then the same again to master it. How fast you can progress will be determined by the hours you can put in.

If you go on to Amazon and put in Upholstery Books you will see several that are worth the money. David James Complete course is still a great book. If you want loads of pictures in a step by step guide using mainly traditional methods take a look at Quick and Easy Upholstery the title is an oxymoron as upholstery is rarely either of those things, and the book took Posy and I around 800 hours to write and photograph so it wasn't either to produce  ;D

I'd defo do to London to learn for that price, as I am in Surrey! Do you have any places left by any chance?
I will need some books (thanks - will check them out) and tools, but first and foremost I think I need some very basic skills as I don't have any at the moment! =) Then - practise!

alge

Ok i misread your post.

If you P.m. me your email address i'll see what we can do. we currently have 120 students doing upholstery courses and are pretty full but people wanting to do two day courses get preference.

Lynn

I forgot about the London course! I was living in Wales when I did my training. I have my Diploma from the Master Upholsterers, although I doubt my membership is current as I've lived in Canada for the last 14 years!
Good luck with your endeavours!
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

fragged8

Miss Blueberry i'm not knocking it but why do you need to do a degree ?

i know some top knotch upholsterers and there isn't a degree in sight,
just getting that piece of paper doesn't mean you can do the job.
I've seen some god awful post grads with all the paperwork but none of the
skills to apply it.

The UK trend for hiring people with degrees is in decline anyway
often it isn't the degree that is considered it's the reputation of the
Uni that is more important to employers.

I worked from a factory then became a teacher in a high school and
now do upholstery and marine canvas self employed and i don't have
a degree just an ability to get stuck in and i think most of the skilled
guys here would say the same.

training is a good idea yes, I did mine in the US and I believe in training
it cost me over £4000 for two weeks training in the US and i went back for more :-)
but after the training was over I then started to learn and am still learning,
I don't believe a degree would have helped anywhere near as much as getting stuck in
and getting my hands dirty, messing a few jobs up and making some good stuff too,  every day.

If you think getting set up for doing upholstery is expensive you should check out
the cost of setting up for boat canvas too. It makes my accountants hair stand on
end just thinking about it.

If you need a sewing machine pm me or give me a ring I can let you have my contact in
Wales who deals in machines and he sells quality machines not ebay junk. If you need help
with a project come here as these guys rock and someone will be able to answer any question you
might have. But most of all get some tools,  ask family for small pieces of furniture to practice on or
go to a local auction and buy some thing to play with like a padded chair or foot stool as all you really
need is a few basic tools like a good stapler to get started and get stuck in.  ;D

Best of luck
Richard in Norfolk

Miss_Blueberries

fragged8

You are absolutely right - a degree doesn't really prove anything - but I need someone to teach me the basics! =)
And rather hands-on, few days a week teaching rather than a two hrs a week evening class!

I think the trend of hiring people based on skills and attitude (can learn, will learn!) is great! =)

But overall, I really want to get stuck in, and see what I can do!

Thanks for advice!

Miss_Blueberries

I must also say - I am impressed looking at you peoples' websites! Some stunning work going on!

hidebound

Pardon me for asking but,  what does the term to "get stuck in" mean?

seamsperfect

Quote from: Miss_Blueberries on April 28, 2011, 02:21:54 am
I must also say - I am impressed looking at you peoples' websites! Some stunning work going on!

Please do not pay attention to mine.  I put that up 8 years ago and never touched it.  I have  new one coming out with over 500 pics........
Kevin

Mike8560

Stuck in I've never heard that either must be a uk thing

fragged8

April 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm #14 Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:14:06 pm by fragged8
Quote from: hidebound on April 28, 2011, 03:43:59 am
    Pardon me for asking but,  what does the term to "get stuck in" mean?

i'd never thought of it as a Uk only term  ;D

It means to just get on with it ..

Miss Blueberry, why not try asking around your area
and see if you can work a day or two with a good upholsterer
for free ? like an internship .

I'd talk to antique dealers too as they usually have a list of trusted
quality craftsmen.

working for free has to be better than paying for tuition as you will
get real world training from people who know the trade from a commercial
perspective.

Rich