Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 03, 2024, 01:05:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Highlead bobbin questions

Started by edp, February 19, 2011, 11:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

edp

Hi all, hopefully someone can tell me why I cant get bobbins to spool up properly. I've been using the pre made ones I had in white but wanted to change thread color & tried loading my own with the winder mechanism today /no luck. Its seems like there should be a wedge pin or something that goes into the end of the split shaft the bobbin slides over to create tension between the two so it'll be held in place on the shaft - the winding shaft just spins in it & doesn't turn the bobbin hence no thread is wound onto it.

winder.......

full pic

end of bobbin shaft - should this have a pin or key of some sort to stop the bobbin from turning on the shaft?

hopefully one of you experts can help me figure this out as I'm not sure if the winder is setup properly, its the way it came when I got it.

Thanks all, appreciate it!

evan

sofadoc

Can't you just use a flat screwdriver to spread the split shaft out a little bit?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on February 20, 2011, 12:02:59 am
Can't you just use a flat screwdriver to spread the split shaft out a little bit?

Without the bobbin on the shaft that is.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

The silver bobbin your using is a Chinese bobbin. They can sometimes have a different inside diameter making them a little loose on the shaft.

You need to do what others said and take a flat screwdriver and spread the shaft out a little without a bobbin on it. Then place the bobbin back on it. If it is still loose then spread it some more.

Chris

seamsperfect

If all those suggestions do not work you can pull your thread back through the center hole and use the thread thickness to make up for slack.
Kevin

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on February 20, 2011, 12:02:59 am

This is what we do from the factory, and end users will have to do over time.

edp

February 20, 2011, 09:00:21 am #6 Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:04:49 am by edp
It dawned on me later (after posting this ) that maybe I could spread the split shaft but I thought "nah, to hack job-ish - must be some pin or piece that goes there"  ::)

I guess that answers the question these machines dont come with  some kind of key or pin for the winder then.

Where would I get different bobbins - not Chinese I guess, online stores?

thanks!

sofadoc

Quote from: edp on February 20, 2011, 09:00:21 am

As long as the Chinese metal bobbins work fine in the bobbin case, then there's no reason why you can't use them.
The shaft on the bobbin winder is split for that very reason. The diameter of the metal bobbins can vary a little, depending on the manufacturer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: edp on February 20, 2011, 09:00:21 am
It dawned on me later (after posting this ) that maybe I could spread the split shaft but I thought "nah, to hack job-ish - must be some pin or piece that goes there"  ::)

I guess that answers the question these machines dont come with  some kind of key or pin for the winder then.

thanks!

Original Highlead factory bobbins, like the machine, ARE Chinese!  I can obtain genuine Highlead parts including bobbins if you like.  What people are inferring is that often people will by inferior quality generic bobbins that are not the same as the factory original, and may not work with how you bobbin winder is setup, because of the variance in bobbin hole size.  This is not the case if you buy good parts from someone you can rely on.

hdflame

I had to use a screwdriver on mine too.  I also noticed that the more I used it, it created scratches on the shaft that helps the bobbin to grip on it tighter and not spin.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

edp

works fine now, gotta love it when solutions are so simple!
Thanks all.

edp

Gregg @ Keystone -  since I see you're a Highlead dealer maybe you can recommend a particular pulley size for the motor (smaller) as I want to slow the machine down for better control. I'm getting the hang of this thing but slower would definitely be better. Its got the clutch motor setup, got any ideas?
Thanks ,Evan

hdflame

Quote from: edp on February 20, 2011, 11:27:14 pm
Gregg @ Keystone -  since I see you're a Highlead dealer maybe you can recommend a particular pulley size for the motor (smaller) as I want to slow the machine down for better control. I'm getting the hang of this thing but slower would definitely be better. Its got the clutch motor setup, got any ideas?
Thanks ,Evan

The best thing I could recommend would be to spend $155 bucks (or there abouts) and buy the servo motor from Gregg.  All problems solved, total control, quiet operation, only use power while it's sewing.

Just my 2 cents, but I bet others would say the same.  Once you've tried a servo, you'll wonder why you ever tried to struggle to control that clutch motor.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Thanks ,Evan

Pulley 613, 2" OD, $6.50 in stock.

hdflame

Quote from: hdflame on February 21, 2011, 05:40:53 am
Thanks ,Evan

The best thing I could recommend would be to spend $155 bucks (or there abouts) and buy the servo motor from Gregg.  All problems solved, total control, quiet operation, only use power while it's sewing.

Just my 2 cents, but I bet others would say the same.  Once you've tried a servo, you'll wonder why you ever tried to struggle to control that clutch motor.

"Pulley 613, 2" OD, $6.50 in stock."

.......or spend $6.50 and try the pulley. :D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special