Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:20:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Binding Spool Holder--What do you use?

Started by stitchit, February 15, 2011, 04:42:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchit

I've tried several different options for this, and just can't seem to come up with a good solution.

I fabricate mainly marine canvas and upholstery. The majority of canvas is Sunbrella, which I use 1" Sunbrella Binding.
My issue comes in where I simply need something to "hold" the spool while in use, but yet, won't be in the way when not using it.

Can anyone help me?

Thank You in Advance,

Chris

Peppy

We were getting rid of an old coat rack a while back, so I kept it and cut it in half. It was 7/8" tube and I put a 'T' fitting with a 30"ish tube in that. It's become an all purpose low rack. When I'm cutting a lot of long borders I have it by the cutting table to hang stuff. When I'm cutting ply wood it props up the offcut (I made it the same hieght as the table) When I'm sewing welt I hang the roll on it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

stitchit

Sorry, don't know if I follow you?

How do you fasten it to your table/bench?

stew-cheryl

I have peg board on the wall and my machine is close to it, so I have a long wire hook that hooks into the peg board, slide on a spool and put a spring clamp on the end so the spool doesn't slide off, and the spool just spins on the rod

Mojo

I mounted a piece of metal conduit to my sewing table underneath and towards the back on the left. I then screwed a plastic pipe clamp to the underside and run the binding through that to my binder on the machine. It keeps everything neat and out of my way. Cost less then 10 dollars to make. :)

Chris

stitchit

Chris,

Do u have any pictures of that?

Thank You!

Chris

Grebo

I have a wooden peg that sticks out of the machine table behind the main body, ( about 3" tall) out of the main line of sewing, I just pop a coil on that. Don't know if that's what it's for as it was fitted by a previous owner.

Mojo

stitchit

Yes they do! Thanks again Chris!!

I am thinking -- I "might" simply hook it to the bench my table sits into, after looking at your idea, I may just go with that idea and see what I can come up with. My main concern at this point would be the possible drag that is applied to the binding while running thru the guides. My table is 13' x 24', so the room is there. I just need to figure out how to apply the holder to it, being under the level of the machine like you have.

Chris

Mojo

I have no problem with drag going through those clamps. You can also mount spools of other things ( welt cord, etc. ) on that bar as there is enough room.

It has worked out great for me and I love the setup. Everything is mounted down below and out of the way.

Chris

seamsperfect

February 16, 2011, 07:50:01 am #10 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:33:51 am by seamsperfect
For my seam tape I went to lowes and bought abs plumbing tubing 3/4", 2 u sections, 2 plastic clamps and a end plug.   Then on top of the table I made a plastic sleeve that guides the tape as it comes over the edge. No pics but here is a pshop of it.
This is mounted towards the back of the table so it is out of the way.
Kevin
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/euro3/original/spoolsetup.jpg

stitchit

Seems,

Does that setup support a full spool of 1" sunbrella binding?

I like it. Looks more of what I'm after. Just not sure how sturdy it would be.

Thanks,

Chris

seamsperfect

February 16, 2011, 09:36:17 am #12 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:39:48 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: stitchit on February 16, 2011, 09:04:22 am
Seems,

Does that setup support a full spool of 1" sunbrella binding?

I like it. Looks more of what I'm after. Just not sure how sturdy it would be.

Thanks,

Chris

Not sure about sunbrella binding my seam tape is pretty thick though.  You could always use the same set up but use the black iron, they are actually threaded and that would be very strong.
Kevin

Mike8560

I have a 7/8" horizontal pipe that hangs cron the ceiling actuall it's
s a j s
shale I bent ony bender I mounted it with nylon top fittings. The one end has a pipe that comes down to HD the horizontal end with a jaw slide this works with the larger holes. For the smaller hold spoofs like outdura and coastguard spools I had a thin rod o mounted In a  hole in the way near my right the ceili g o e is right o er the machine where I need it.

scarab29

I have a post on my machine table and just use that with my swing away binder. Dawn @ marine canvas training has some they make , basically a vise grip with a re-bar holder welded to it. Worked great when I used it there. Call her , maybe she can shoot you a pic as I didnt see it in her tools.

http://www.marinecanvastraining.com/Tools-of-the-Trade
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.