Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 18, 2024, 01:00:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Needle size

Started by Mike8560, February 12, 2011, 07:20:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

February 12, 2011, 07:20:06 pm Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:21:45 pm by Mike8560
I thought I saw a thread about needle sizes that link to this thread also
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=.msg55393#msg55393
can't find  it.  Any way  I
have to buy a box   Im down to  the last six. In all  22 years I  just about usd up  2 boxs    anyway I  got to get more. Probly
my last box. Anyway I've alway had Shmetz  needles size 19 the boxs say
nm 120 size 20   And so 135x17     Sy 3355.  DP17
never paid much to the size anyway I use theese with v92 thread
any input. Do you use this size?   I'm going to need w new box soon. Oh ya thenmachines are a singer 111w155 and a juke somthing  a copy of the singer

BigJohn

Mike try this old post of mine:

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=6371.0

Big John

bobbin

I believe that "variety is the spice of life".  I have everything from  a size 16 up to a size 22 for my 1541.  But for marine/awning work I nearly always use a size 18 or a 20 and #92 thread, occasionally #138.  I'm moving more in the direction of cushions/slipcovers and am now finding that I like the 16 and 18 needles in combination with #69 thread for those applications. 

On my 9010 I have sizes ranging from 12-18 because I use that machine for lighter duty work (alterations, drapery, light cushions) and run thread ranging from 33-69.

I try to select needle size based on the hole it will make and the its ability to carry the size thread I wish to use.  The guy from whom I purchased the 1541 is very accommodating and will sell me the individual packs of needles if I need something unusual, that way I don't end up forking over pork for a large quantity of something I don't use that often.   

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on February 13, 2011, 03:00:07 am
I believe that "variety is the spice of life".  I have everything from  a size 16 up to a size 22 for my 1541.  But for marine/awning work I nearly always use a size 18 or a 20 and #92 thread, occasionally #138.  I'm moving more in the direction of cushions/slipcovers and am now finding that I like the 16 and 18 needles in combination with #69 thread for those applications. 

On my 9010 I have sizes ranging from 12-18 because I use that machine for lighter duty work (alterations, drapery, light cushions) and run thread ranging from 33-69.

I try to select needle size based on the hole it will make and the its ability to carry the size thread I wish to use.  The guy from whom I purchased the 1541 is very accommodating and will sell me the individual packs of needles if I need something unusual, that way I don't end up forking over pork for a large quantity of something I don't use that often.   

That's about the gist of it with needles.

fragged8

hiya

I have a range of needles, but have had a few leaking tops with even #16 needle and v92 thread ,
i must be doing something seriously wrong or the thread i'm buying is real rubbish.

I never go above #18 for canvas unless i have to go over a really thick seam
and for vinyl almost always #18 and v92 thread.

Mike8560

Rich sun Della used ro state on there website that any canvas will leak right after it's been sewn water willwick through the stitch hole yes smaller holes the better they stated it will stop as
dirt ugs the holes. 
I'd tell my customer this I don't think they believed me untill I gave them this printout.
It's not on the site anymore. 

JuneC

Size 18 for vinyl, 20 for canvas.  For tenara clear (monofilament), I use size 18 because the thread is so fine.  16 would probably work better.  Otherwise, I use anti-wick thread to help the leaking seam issue.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

I know the theory that the thread holes will leak for a bit but i've had a couple that
just wouldn't stop. I'll have to keep an eye on this one and see if i can find the sunbrella info on this.

I wouldn't dare use a #20 needle like June on canvas but it's reassuring to know I use the same size as her on vinyl.

One top i made using tenara and a #16 needle never did stop leaking, it's a good job it was a friend
as the material was the SeaRay Toast sunbrella they rubbed a wax candle along the seam which
helped to stop it leaking, it would have shown up too much on a dark colour.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I'm really surprised to see people suffering from seam leakage, even with V92 thread and an 18 needle.  16 is crazy light needle for canvas, and hope people don't think this is the norm! 

I don't sell threads and materials, but I am thinking that some folks should be looking into self healing material where you know the seams are going to be suffering the most from water leakage.  This is a self healing material that would be sewn into the material.  Honestly, I don't know who sells or has it, but I am sure someone could contact a materials supplier. 

JuneC

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 13, 2011, 03:48:53 pm
I'm really surprised to see people suffering from seam leakage, even with V92 thread and an 18 needle.  16 is crazy light needle for canvas, and hope people don't think this is the norm! 

I agree, but I believe a #16 would be ok for 2 layers of canvas, maybe 3.  More than that and the needle is bound to start flexing and you'll end up with broken needles and/or skipped stitches.  Seamstick tape helps with leaking too.  It tends to seal around the thread. 

Rich, I like the wax idea.  Nice cheap alternative to liquid seam sealer.  I've done a few tops where I bought tent seam sealer in the sporting goods store to take care of leaks.  Luckily, it's rarely an issue.  Also, the tighter you make the top, the more it leaks (stress pulls the needle holes larger). 

June

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

I use size #16 or #18 needle with V92 antiwick thread, only seem to get any leak issues with stamoid hardly ever with canvas and them it seems only if the canvas has been pulled bullet tight, in my opinion two tight & pulling open the holes ( as June just said )  ::)
#18 or #20 with v138.

bobbin

We use a lot of the double stick seam sealing tape where I work, esp. on awnings/canopies.  And we use the wax trick a lot, too.   It doesn't stain the way Plastiseam can and it doesn't give off the noxious fumes of the latter, either. 

When I made the deck canopy for our home I had the blank heat welded together, but I used #138 thread and a size 20 needle to stitch the reinforcements and zipper casings that go around the frame in place. 

Mojo

I am curious. Does anyone use 138 thread ? It seems almost everyone uses the 92 on canvas.

Just wondering if there is a reason why is all.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

February 14, 2011, 04:34:31 am #13 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:20:24 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mojo on February 14, 2011, 04:11:18 am
I am curious. Does anyone use 138 thread ? It seems almost everyone uses the 92 on canvas.

Just wondering if there is a reason why is all.

Chris

Chris,

You just read two Uph. members right there who do, and yes 138 is popular, especially in Florida, where the heat and humidity kill thread faster than most climates.

Mojo

I use 138 on pretty much everything. The cost difference is minimal and I like the heavy thread because of the factors you stated.

I am still amazed though at how white thread degrades faster then black. It would seem it would be the other way around.

I know in the past when I have read posts a lot of the stitchers here use the 92 more then the 138. I get a warm fuzzy feeling using the 138 myself. I have never used anything bigger then that though. How does the bigger thread sew in our machines anyways ? :)

Chris