Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 18, 2024, 12:56:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Needle size

Started by Mike8560, February 12, 2011, 07:20:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

138 will work perfectly with all modern walking foot canvas upholstery machines.  Just make sure to use a large enough needle that has a large enough needle eye.  Needle eyes get larger as the needle get thicker.

Another downside is that a 138 will wind out a bobbin about twice as fast as say a common upholstery size 69 thread.  Just one thing to note, especially with regular bobbin machines as opposed to oversize. 

seamsperfect

Quote from: Mojo on February 14, 2011, 04:41:14 am
I use 138 on pretty much everything. The cost difference is minimal and I like the heavy thread because of the factors you stated.

I am still amazed though at how white thread degrades faster then black. It would seem it would be the other way around.

I know in the past when I have read posts a lot of the stitchers here use the 92 more then the 138. I get a warm fuzzy feeling using the 138 myself. I have never used anything bigger then that though. How does the bigger thread sew in our machines anyways ? :)

Chris

I use 138 occasionally 207 in my standard machine.  I use 346 or 415 on my seating surfaces, but I use a post machine.
Kevin

Mojo

415 ? Hell that isn't thread, that is rope......LOL.....

I have never sewn anything heavier then 138.

What do they use to sew nylon straps with such as tow straps, tie down straps, etc. ?

Chris

seamsperfect

February 14, 2011, 07:43:15 am #18 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:45:59 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: Mojo on February 14, 2011, 07:35:53 am
415 ? Hell that isn't thread, that is rope......LOL.....

I have never sewn anything heavier then 138.

What do they use to sew nylon straps with such as tow straps, tie down straps, etc. ?

Chris

Pretty much I use it for  decorative top stitch like they used on older bimmer interiors.
I think they use 207 or 277 maybe?
Kevin

Highvelocity

I use a 21 for most marine related things, but I do use 138 thread for top and bobbin, so it fills the hole good.  I find when you are going through 4 plus layers of vinyl it's nice to have a beefy needle. 

A very reputable shop up here uses 138 top and 92 bottom.  Does anyone else subscribe to that thought process.????
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

seamsperfect

Quote from: Highvelocity on February 14, 2011, 08:07:42 am

A very reputable shop up here uses 138 top and 92 bottom.  Does anyone else subscribe to that thought process.????

I used to when I did all my french seams with my single needle, I think it actually works better and your bobbin thread last longer.    I use 138/138 on my double needle machine.
Kevin

Mojo

I use 138 top and bottom.

Chris

seamsperfect

February 14, 2011, 09:33:06 am #22 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:53:56 am by seamsperfect
Forgot to mention I use 135x16 #22 tri point leather needles for my 138 bonded thread.
Kevin

fragged8

hiya

I know grebo was going to experiment with 138 top and 92 in the bobbin.

i had a go but found that you cant just turn the fabric over as the thread showing will be thinner

bobbin

the first awning/canvas shopped I worked in used 138  a lot of the time.  It does outlast 92, and that's a consideration when you're making a large canopy that will be put up and taken down once in a season.  You certainly don't want the thread to fail once you put the sucker up!  I always use 138 when I'm making awnings or a canopy for myself. 

I rarely mix the different thread weights  but that's more because  the machinery in the shop is used by other people frequently and not everyone is wise to running a stitching sample and checking for tension adjustments.  But I see benefit in the technique if you are topstitching and/or willing to check tension adjustments whenever you sit in front of a machine. 

Mojo, I have noticed exactly the opposite... black thread degrade a lot faster! by the end of season number one it's usually begun to "go grey".   Interesting, must have something to do with the brand, huh?

CKKC

I am so glad all of you have been discussing this subject!   I have been analyzing thread and needles for the last week and wasn't sure what size to use for my "cheap vinyl".   All I need
to know now is the difference between the different types of thread.   I don't know what to buy
for my indoor or outdoor projects!

Carol

bobbin

Carol, I have made the decision to use polyester thread exclusively.  Nylon doesn't hold up to UV (sunlight) and since I do a fair amount of outdoor cushion work I have no desire to check labels when looking for a good match. 

I have decided to make polyester #69 my "default setting".  I know it's plenty strong, I know it will deal with a reasonable amount of UV, and I know it won't have to bear a weight or wind load.  If I need a thread to do either of those two things I'll go for polyester #92 or 138.

Funnily enough, I'm facing the same dilemma when it comes to selecting a default weight for drapery work... thinking 46 and probably polyester.  I use the lightweight polyester for the cones on my overlock machine... think it may be 33, but am not sure without going over to look. 

CKKC

Thanks bobbin,

I believe the thread that came with my machine is all for fabrics.  I wasn't sure if I could use it for the "cheap" vinyl I'm messing with.    Now I just need to find where to buy the polyester thread.

Carol

Mojo

Contact Miami Mike. He carries Poly as well as Solarfix and Sunguard. His prices are very good.

Phone>800.543.0448

Direct> 513-298-5519

Direct Fax>513-298-5519

E-mail> mweunski@miamicorp.com

Chris

bobbin

I have pretty good luck with The Thread Exchange, too.  www.thethreadexchange.com

They have an excellent section on the merits of different types of thread and an excellent discussion on sizes.  Sometimes the selection is a bit limited but they also stock smaller cones and that's nice if you're looking for an unusual color for a "one of" type of job.