Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:25:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A Diary of a snow shoveler part 1

Started by Therapy, January 30, 2011, 04:09:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Therapy

I had to put this in to 2 parts

Diary of a snow shoveler, probable location - North East

December 8 - 6:00 PM

It started to snow.
The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven.
It looked like a Grandma Moses Print.
So romantic we felt like newlyweds again.
I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape.
What a fantastic sight!
Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world?
Moving here was the best idea I've ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again.
I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again.
What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow.
Such a disappointment!
My neighbor tells me not to worry- we'll definitely have a white Christmas.
No snow on Christmas would be awful!
Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again
I don't think that's possible.
Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night.
The temperature dropped to -20.
The cold makes everything sparkle so.
The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks.
This is the life!
The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again.
I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.
I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast.
Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer.
Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels.
Stocked the freezer.
The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out.
I think that's silly.
We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning.
Fell on my a$$ on the ice in the driveway putting down salt.
Hurt like hell.
The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing.
Roads are too icy to go anywhere.
Electricity was off for 5 hours.
I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm.
Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her.
Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her.
God I hate it when she's right.
I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night.
More shoveling!
Took all day.
The damn snowplow came by twice.
Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey.
I think they're lying.
Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out.
Might have another shipment in March.
I think they're lying.
Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me.
I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white sh*t fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August.
Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss.
By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel.
Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the a**hole is lying.

Juki 563

scarab29

I feel your pain , more snow here in jersey than I can ever remember. Ground covered with more than 2 feet for more than a month now.  Shop hasn't been open a full week in just as long. Another 8 in last weds night , an inch thursday night flurries the last 2 days ! That just never happens here. I put a call in to Al Gore. Sun today !!!!!! Taking the kid sledding then off to the food store to stock up for the next big snow tues/weds. Reminder to self: get more gas for the snow blower. Even too much snow on the river to get the ice boats going.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

JOSE

HI iAM NEW , wich is the name of the material that go on the top of the upholstery vinyl and where I can buy? thank you .
Jose

bobbin

I just finished clearing out in front of the mailboxes.  The telltale whine of spinning tires yesterday, told us the mail truck was struggling.   Our driveway and the snowblown paths around the house look like a bobsled run.  The dog doesn't care, but the cats don't really care for going out when they know they don't really have anywhere to go.  They do enjoy hanging out on the deck though, hunkered down broadside to the sun. 

If we're going  to get another storm next week I'm already considering the possibility of a "snow day".  I don't absolutely have to be be somewhere I avoid driving, too many crazies out there in too much of a hurry!

(Reminder to self:  more gas for the snowblower and get the red toile required for a small drapery and cushion job I have on deck.  Also check kitty litter level.)

scottymc

HaHa 110 deg yesterday and 108 today glad i don't live anywhere near that dreaded snow  8)

Mike8560

ya scott i just gave my new bbq a workout

Mojo

70 degrees and partly sunny here in Brooksville, Florida.

I take it no one is going to shed any sad tears for Mike, June, Paul, Kodydog or myself ?

Didn't think so. :)

Chris

sofadoc

I just got off a cruise ship. I snorkled in Roatan, road the Zip Line in Belize, and went scuba diving in Cozumel. I am happy to report seeing absolutely NO snow. However, it was unseasonably cool at all 3 ports. 70-80 degrees. :D
At sea, I managed to get plenty of sleep in between my 17 healthy meals a day.
Came home to 70 degree weather, but it's supposed to be in the 20's by Tuesday.  >:( It was fun while it lasted.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Visiting my mom in Clearwater this weekend. Had to mow the lawn :P
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Peppy

Well it's -30c this morning. Has snowed almost everyday for the last three months. At least I've never heard of a chigger!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Therapy

I just wanted to put part 1 and part 2 togather
Juki 563

scottymc

Quote from: Therapy on January 31, 2011, 08:58:24 am
I just wanted to put part 1 and part 2 togather
gotta keep them together.

bobbin

6" yesterday and another 12+ today.  Local forecasts have been spouting about 18" for a couple of days now, but I'll believe it when I see it.  It's winter.  It gets cold and it snows in the winter.  So what? life goes on. 

(plenty of gas for the snow blower, kitty litter and cat food stocks are all set, we have plenty of seasoned firewood and oil for the lamps if the juice goes out). 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on February 02, 2011, 02:41:44 am
  It gets cold and it snows in the winter.  So what? life goes on.   

I wish more people in Texas felt that way. We've had a few days in the teens. Life here comes to a grinding halt. I can't get any customers to even consider taking delivery until it warms up.
I know you guys up north laugh when you turn on the news, and see drivers in southern states slip-slidin' all over the roads.
I've got a friend who hails from the Detroit area. He says that the roads here really do get slicker than they do up north. Still others have told me "That's BS".
Having never driven up north during wintery weather, I don't know who to believe. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

More people in my town should realize this.   We get snow here every year, every month in the winter.  Yet they all seem to forget how to drive in it.  And grocery stores are crowded with people buying milk, bread, and toilet paper.  Mind you, three days after most storms, you would not know anything happened.

Add to that the local forecasters tend to work everyone up in a frenzy trying to out-panic each other.   If there's any threat of a storm, a 30 minute news will be at least 20 minutes of winter weather alert.  Field reporters will be standing in the snow (or non-snow) giving first hand reports.  Then after the storm passes, they'll have promo ads for the next two  weeks about their storm coverage.

One of my customers told me last week, "I want live somewhere where people can handle the winter."   Amen.  End of rant.

Quote from: bobbin on February 02, 2011, 02:41:44 am
It's winter.  It gets cold and it snows in the winter.  So what? life goes on. 

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison