Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:51:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A Diary of a snow shoveler part 1

Started by Therapy, January 30, 2011, 04:09:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for staying home if the weather is really crappy, but I do know how to drive in the stuff.  The major thing is to slow down and leave plenty of space between your car and the one in front of you.  I always do the "hard brake test" as quickly as I safely can when I leave the driveway.  I accelerate rapidly and see how the drive wheels react, then I hit the brakes hard and see what happens... pretty much tells me how fast to go and how much added braking distance is required. 

(I used to hold a commercial bus driver's license... when you drive something 40' long with passengers you learn pretty quickly the efficacy of slowing down and "driving the horizon"). 

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on February 02, 2011, 03:27:18 pm
He says that the roads here really do get slicker than they do up north. Still others have told me "That's BS".
Having never driven up north during wintery weather, I don't know who to believe. 

I think it's likely that down south you don't have teams of snow plows and salter trucks with every other truck and tractor having a blade or a blower on it. Also practice. Every year the first week of snow people are usually idiots and panic. Then they get  the feel for it, and get comfortable being idiots again.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Darren Henry

QuoteWell it's -30c this morning. Has snowed almost everyday for the last three months.

Last week was unseasonably mild with day time highs approaching the freezing mark,but over the weekend it dropped back to -28 º C and the wind came up.The windchill yesterday was -41 or forty below. At least we haven't had any more snow for a few days. With the wet conditions and overfull waterways all this snow is going to flood most of southern Manitoba,Saskatchewan, and parts of Alberta. 

You said your lakes could use a little moisture,Peppy; how many tanker trucks can you get ahold of in about 6 weeks?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc