Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 01:20:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer 16-188 Industrial Walking Foot

Started by DesertLeather, December 14, 2010, 09:43:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertLeather

Hi all,

I just came across a Singer 16-188 Industrial Walking Foot that appears complete- table, light, motor, and runs. For $250. Just wondering if that is a good deal. What do they normally go for?

Thanks, Matt

lamx

$250 is a good price for any working industrial walking foot machine capable of sewing upholstery, especially complete with table and motor.

Ed

seamsperfect

Quote from: DesertLeather on December 14, 2010, 09:43:17 pm
Hi all,

I just came across a Singer 16-188 Industrial Walking Foot that appears complete- table, light, motor, and runs. For $250. Just wondering if that is a good deal. What do they normally go for?

Thanks, Matt

This might help you out if you decide to buy it.
Kevin
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=11.0

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Top bottom feeder (not needle feed), good for canvas and leather, IF working and setup correctly.  Parts might be a problem depending on what you may need.  Machine is old as dirt, but that does not make it good or bad. 

bobbin

Gregg, I don't really understand what you mean when you say, "top bottom feeder".  Does that mean that it's a drop feed machine with the basic feed dog set up? 

I looked at the 16 class manual and the head looks identical to that of my old 31-15 (c. 1929).  The bobbin is in a race and the hook moves back and forthe, rather than the full rotation of the modern rotary hooks.  I would like to know the proper terminology for that sort of hook set up. 

I know my 31-15 is really a very reliable machine; it's not so good with really lightweight fabrics or those with heavy naps, but it will pretty much plow through about everything else, although multiple, thick layers and cording require more operator skill in feeding for an even result than is required of a needle feed or compound feed machine.  Suffice it to say, I'm not going to trade in my Juki 1541 or Juki 9010 anytime soon.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Top and bottom means that it has a top feed, and bottom feed, with no needle feeder.  Drop feed has a top spring loaded foot that comes down, and holds the material in place continuously, with the feed dog below transporting the material.

Lock stitches have two common setup; rotating hook, and a race and shuttle that oscillates, or goes back and forth, to and fro if you will.  The oscillating hook is still very alive and well. 

bobbin

Most of the machinery I've dealt with in the past 25+ yrs. has been high speed (rotary hook or loopers). 

What sort of machinery uses a shuttle and race set up? Is this configuration restricted to low speed machinery? is there any sort of automatic lubrication associated with that configuration? 

I like to scope out major machinery manufacturers websites, so if you gave some specific model #s I'd be "all over" them, Gregg.