Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 05:08:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Center Console Cover--New Project

Started by Highvelocity, November 01, 2010, 08:32:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

Tomorrow I am going over to put a material list together and take measurements for a customer who wants a center console cover. The cover will also go over the benchseat behind the console.  This is another 1st for me, so any advice is always appreciated.  The cool thing is this job was direct referal from my backdrop customer.  I must be doing something right...lol 

Anyway, I will take some pics of the job tomorrow, you guys let me know what you think.
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike8560

I would measue up o er the front o er the top and down behind the seat
measure the width  d how long and tall the sides will be to figure the yardage.
I would pattern it pro ly one piece for the front of the console
and thebsection  from the window back probly two one behind the seat. D one left to right up and over.
If the seat back folds forward I would do so toa ok'd water puddling. 
Probly lime this without a t top

[IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/covers/Copy2ofMVC-364S.jpg[/IM

Peppy

Here's my take. I just happen to have a picture.

1/2 a paper pattern.

And done.

We put a vertical zipper in between the bench and console for assess and storage.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Highvelocity

Peppy you do love to pattern...haha  Here's what I am looking at, customer decided he just wants the console done for financial reasons, customer is always right, I guess.  So here are a few pictures.  Peppy, I have plastic, so I am going to make a pattern on this one.

JuneC

That looks like a fun and easy project - much like covering your backyard BBQ grill.  No zips, even, unless you want to add one for easy access.  But, they usually go in with a few snaps around the base so I doubt a zip would add much functionality.  Biggest surprise I got when doing my first few consoles was the amount of fabric they take.  They look small - till you start measuring.  You'd think 3 yards would cover an average size one...  NOT! Unless you want lots of seams everywhere.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Right June fior just a console one I usualy figure 6 yards
i've seen some take 10 yards.

Peppy

Quote from: Highvelocity on November 03, 2010, 06:42:14 am
Peppy you do love to pattern...haha 

Too right! But it's the only way I can keep ahead of 2 sewers. With the two huge winter cover patterns I can take a day off tomorrow. And stay home sick with my daughter. Woo hoo. Then when I get back on friday one'll be done and then there will be a mad dash to make another pattern so there'll be something for them to do while I install what they sewed. Makes me tired just typing it. Guess it's good I like doing it eh?

Quote from: JuneC on November 03, 2010, 03:09:41 pm
  No zips, even, unless you want to add one for easy access.  But, they usually go in with a few snaps around the base so I doubt a zip would add much functionality. 

Mine had 4 or 6 snaps in it. The zipper was so he could keep his life jackets dry, the boat lacked good hatches. We put a tab with a snap to help keep the zipper closed.

Mike8560

Patterning is fun for me once tou got it it's half done.
Got to do a mooring coer with a t top son and a snap on mooring cover

Highvelocity

Hopefully the weather man helps me out this Saturday.  I ordered the material Tues, he went with a heather beige, arrives Friday I hope, I should have some pictures come Monday.

Funny, you are right about the amount, I ordered 6 yards.

Peppy, I think there is an art form to patterns...  Even after you make one, you still have to figure out your seams, etc.  I give you guys credit, I am going to have to keep making them to get better. 

Peppy

Quote from: Highvelocity on November 04, 2010, 06:28:33 am
there is an art form to patterns

And theres an art to cutting them out, and sewing them, and installing them, and for that matter selling them. It's almost like it's a trade or something! ;)

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 03, 2010, 07:13:52 pm
it's half done.

When your 1/2 done the pattern your 1/2 done. When your done the pattern your 1/2 done (just gotta sew it).
When your 1/2 done the cutting out your 1/2 done. When it's cut out your 1/2 done (just gotta sew it).
When your 1/2 done sewing your 1/2 done. When it's sewn it's 1/2 done (just have to install it).
When your 1/2 done snapping it on your 1/2 done. Then when it's snapped on your 1/2 done 'cause you have to get the other 1/2 of the cash from the customer. Lotta 1/2's in this business!

Can-Vas

Yeah,  and that's only half the story!! ....      ;D    :P
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Highvelocity

It's true, I have gotton into projects and said to myself, "O boy, what did I get myself into?"  I asked for how much money!!???   

Now I bid what the job is worth and if they don't go for it, oh well, I am not going to do a crap job just to get it done quicker.  And I am not bidding 1/2 of what the job is worth, if want to work for free I can join the peace corp...lol

fragged8

hiya

I thought you were taking it easy Mike ? 

have you checked your pm messages ?

Rich

Highvelocity

November 08, 2010, 07:12:11 am #13 Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:14:56 am by Highvelocity
Here is the final product, it was harder than just going back over the rear seat, but hey this is what he wanted.  The steering wheel and the throttle made the shape weird so I took in the top piece with some dart seams, then patterned each side.  The trick on this one was to sew one piece on then pattern the other side.  I was able to get a nicer fit I think.  The guy couldn't have been happier with the color match too.

Mike8560

November 08, 2010, 11:51:26 am #14 Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:01:31 pm by Mike8560
 indoo allot like that Ed the console then. Cooler seat or leaning post cover. The throttle is. Point of interest  
me I make  a pattern for thebwhe  piece in one shot when k do it