Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 07:27:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question about material for the MARINE people????? What should I use?

Started by hdflame, July 29, 2010, 09:12:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

I'm making something for a motorcycle called a "lap robe".  It's similar to what you see in pictures of people riding in sleighs in the snow.  It will be used when riding a sidecar rig in the winter, when it's cold and rainy.

I want something that is heavy and waterproof.  The urethane backed Cordura that I've tried, just isn't heavy enough.  The urethane backing is too thin.  If I hold it up to the light, I can see through it.

Isn't there some marine material similar to Sunbrella, that has a heavy rubber/urethane type backing that will be wind and rain proof and hold up good outside in harsh conditions?

What should I use to make these out of?  I don't have any samples of marine material.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

scarab29

WhenI was just in france , all the scooters had these. Seems they aren't skeered of a little bad weather when commuting on their scooters. Looked to be made out of sunbrella type canvas but was quilted , maybe a layer of like  1/8 or 1/2 "sew foam between 2 layers of canvas . Thought it a neat idea.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

hdflame

Quote from: scarab29 on July 30, 2010, 04:41:33 am
WhenI was just in france , all the scooters had these. Seems they aren't skeered of a little bad weather when commuting on their scooters. Looked to be made out of sunbrella type canvas but was quilted , maybe a layer of like  1/8 or 1/2 "sew foam between 2 layers of canvas . Thought it a neat idea.

It's actually a very old idea and that's why the lap robe's retro look, fits the Ural and sidecar type of rider.  I've seen lot's of pictures, but the only one I've actually been able to look at is only one layer except for the wear areas.  I've thought about sandwiching a layer of quilted Thinsolate in between the outer layers, but that just adds more labor and cost.

I think the original lap robes were made of heavy waxed/oiled canvas.  I think that one of the marine materials that are currently being used for boating applications, will work in a single layer. (Except wear areas.)  The problem is I'm not familiar  with all the different materials.  Seems like I remember someone on here talking about Top Gun having a heavy backing that made it more waterproof than Sunbrella.

Here's a link to a site that makes them for Police motorcycles:
http://potomaccanvas.com/police.html

Here's what they list as a description, maybe this will help with suggestions of what I should use:

The following is a list of some of the specifics of our product:
Material: 100% Acrylic, 9.25 oz/sq.yd. weight, water repellent, solution dyed inner and outer shells.
Thread: Dacron bonded black in color, size 138.
Insulation: Dacron or polyester type fiber material quilted between the inner and outer shells. It is machine washable.
Fasteners and Closures: Combination of 1" delrin side release buckles and hook and loop type closure system.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 30, 2010, 05:12:55 am
Sea mark is sunbrella with a vinyl layer on the inside.

Thanks Mike, can you tell me who carries it?  Any of our suppliers on here?

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

Tri vantage and manart hirsh doo  I'm nit sure about Miami mike ?

bobbin

I guess a buffalo skin is out, huh?

The first thing I thought of was, Seamark, too.  It's expensive, but it's great stuff.  I don't know if the lap robe is a special shape, but if it is you could simply cut it out and then bind around it for a neat, clean, "finished" look. 

hdflame

The lap robe is a special shape.  I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.  I'm wanting to bind the edges when it's finished.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Miami Mike

I carry the RecWater, Acrylic with a PVC back coat, Just like the >>>>>  how much do you need to do the job.. I'll send you some. If you have done it already, want to make another one.??  I might be able to get you a few things to try. I'm easy going, I just need you guys and gals to work with us on trying new things. I feel some of our option will work better and give you the same ending result , that your customer will love. Just need to look at the option.

I sell a lot of our products to a lot of Marine, Awning and Auto guys. But you Guys and Gals are tough.  ;D  :o  And I think I can save you Money.

Thank you,

Mike
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

hdflame

Quote from: Miami Mike on August 06, 2010, 10:27:26 am
I carry the RecWater, Acrylic with a PVC back coat, Just like the >>>>>  how much do you need to do the job.. I'll send you some. If you have done it already, want to make another one.??  I might be able to get you a few things to try. I'm easy going, I just need you guys and gals to work with us on trying new things. I feel some of our option will work better and give you the same ending result , that your customer will love. Just need to look at the option.

I sell a lot of our products to a lot of Marine, Awning and Auto guys. But you Guys and Gals are tough.  ;D  :o  And I think I can save you Money.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the offer.  I think 4 yards will do one lap robe.  I'm thinking of using Dacron batting to quilt between the two layers for insulation.  I have some quilted Thinsulate, but I think this might be overkill and just add to the cost of making it.  I'm making the prototype in black, but may offer some other colors as options later.

I'm thinking I will have a pretty good demand for these.  The only place that is currently making them only deals with Police Depts.  I may also incorporate this material into a cover similar to what's used on a kayak to seal around the top opening.  The way the sidecar is made, the passenger can get pretty wet in a hard rain.  The water will puddle in the seat underneath them.  I'm thinking about using some neoprene rubber, like wet suits are made of, to create a piece to seal around the passenger.  Nobody offers anything like this now.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

Quote from: Miami Mike on August 06, 2010, 10:27:26 am

Thank you,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I never heard back from you??  Did you send out any material?  I've got several jobs going right now and would love to try out what ever you want to send! ;D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mojo

Bobby:

You may want to e-mail him instead of PM. He always answers my e-mails and if that doesn't work I call him.

Mike Weunski <MWeunski@miamicorp.com>

Chris

Miami Mike

Bobby, did you ever get that account set up.???? I can send it to my house and bring it by.???? You need Black.????
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

hdflame

Quote from: Miami Mike on August 25, 2010, 07:37:07 pm
Bobby, did you ever get that account set up.???? I can send it to my house and bring it by.???? You need Black.????

Yes, my account is set up, and yes black is what I need.  If you need my account number I can PM it to you.

I think about 4 yards of the RecWater will make the project.  I've also been looking at some Softouch by Odyssey.  Do you have anything similar?

If you'd rather send it to your house, that's fine.  Whatever is easier for you.

Thanks!
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

fragged8

hiya

I've got some softouch odyssey at the workshop, i bought it for a screen cover on my boat
as the screen is made from acrylic not glass, I'm not sure it would be suitable for your
lap robe ? I think the wool backing would just deteriorate with use.

Rich