Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 12:50:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help with binding Sunbrella edges.

Started by hdflame, July 10, 2010, 04:45:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

I'm not actually working with Sunbrella, but I'm using some 1000 denier Cordura that is very similar in weight.  I need some advice on the type of edge binder and what kind of tape to use to finish the edge of the Cordura.  The Cordura is black.

Any suggestions on where to get the binder and edge tape?  Thanks.

I'm thinking that it would be something like this, but I don't think this one is for heavy material.  The material will be used on a motorcycle project, so I need something for outside applications.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

scarab29

I have a couple binders both of which I bought from Greg @ keystone sewing here on the board. The first one is in-expensive 100 ls binder. Works great and the price is right. The second is the custom angle binder lower on the page i have posted the link for . I use this one for the 1" binding I do on covers and tops , just about anything. It swings away without un-screwing it from the machine deck when not in use. Not cheap @ 280 but the way to go. Greg set it up for my consew before he shipped it and I just screwed it down and started sewing. This is the binder for me !!

http://www.keysew.com/Specials.htm
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Jim101

What type of machine are you using it on?

hdflame

I'm using it on a Highlead GC0618-1-SC that I bought from Gregg.

I saw one on Miami's website and Sailrite's for about $40.  It doesn't have to be a swing-away.  I have a 1/4" upturn hemmer that is swing-away, but I always take it off.

Where do you get your binding tape from?  Should I use 3/4" or 1"?  I would think 3/4" would be enough.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Jim101

July 11, 2010, 07:14:31 pm #4 Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:50:07 pm by Jim101
I bought a binder from Sharp Sewing on ebay a couple of years ago.  Its a right angle binder and I use the ¾" binding for most boat tops.  Occasionally 1" binding is needed for thicker layers of the top or cover but it requires a separate feeder mechanism.

Looking back on it I might not have been so quick to have bought from ebay.  I saved about $20.- buying there instead of from Keystone or somebody else.

I originally bought the binder for a Pfaff 1245 but it didn't work no matter how hard I tried.  The ad claimed it would work with the 1245.  It didn't.  I later connected it to the Pfaff 545 and it works fine but I had to grind down a piece of the feed dog that didn't fit right.

The binder sure makes the job a lot easier!  Years ago I used to staple the binding to the cover and take the staples out as I sewed the binding on.  It actually worked pretty good but I really like using the binder more.

Jim

Skippy

Where do you get your binding tape from?  Should I use 3/4" or 1"?  I would think 3/4" would be enough.

I like to use 1" binding on Sunbrella because you get the stitch further away from the edge of the cloth, which is easily frayed.  I have seen binding come loose when the edge of the cloth frayed.  Just me, maybe?

baileyuph

QuoteOccasionally 1" binding is needed for thicker layers of the top or cover but it requires a separate feeder mechanism

Jim,

Yes, tech support, I received from a company that specializes in setting a machine up with binding capabilities, canvas, carpet, and whatever advised that the feed dog, plate, and feet have to all be included in a binding setup, specific to almost every binding task.  Just getting a binder isn't the end of the journey.

If a reader here has the full array of equipment, as referenced above, you might advise how well you are satisfied with such a setup.  Just buying the right angle binder itself is probably an improvement but how the full scoop works would be interesting to hear about. 

Having been led to believe that a specific array of binding equipment is almost required for every different binding requirement.  For example, binding sunvisors, vintage car restoration, would be another case where the equipment would have to be specific to that task, but it would enable the work to be of the same quality as OEM. 

This is an interesting subject, more input from the experienced would be a big plus.

Then, there are folders that meet certain requirements, often confused with binders.

Doyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I basically have three different setups.

Straight folder is about inexpensive, generic, and works well most of the time.  3/4" and 1" are most common, but I do have 7/8" and 1-1/4 as well.   

90 degree angle binder setup as close to the foot feed and plate without hitting on an easy to install/remove swing arm binder, CUSTOM setup guaranteed to work with your provided sample material, or it goes back to the suppler for adjustment.  I stock 3/4" and 1", and neither is more popular than the other.  Just need to know model machine for install.  We have a lot of luck with this setup.

Same as above with custom foot feed and plate specific to your model.  Would need model to give price, as Singer 111W is less than say Pfaff 1245 for parts.  This is the strongest possible setup, but not good for people who need to do everything on one machine.  This setup really is a dedicated binder, as people don't want to change out everything from job to job.  

hdflame

Gregg,

I saw one listed on your site.  It said for straight work.  I will be going around curves too, what's the difference?  I would prefer to buy the $40 range binder if it will do what I want.  I'm currently using a cheap upturn hemmer and it works fine...nothing fancy.  PM or email me a link and pricing info if you get a chance.  Thanks.

This is something similar to what I'm looking for

To apply binding like this:

Now, who carries this type of binding?  I'm hoping to buy from one of the suppliers on the site.  Does Miami have it?.....Mike, anyone?? ;D
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: hdflame on July 12, 2010, 10:43:58 am
Gregg,

I saw one listed on your site.  It said for straight work.  I will be going around curves too, what's the difference?  I would prefer to buy the $40 range binder if it will do what I want.  I'm currently using a cheap upturn hemmer and it works fine...nothing fancy.  PM or email me a link and pricing info if you get a chance.  Thanks.

Both are listed here; http://keysew.com/Specials.htm

BTW...everybody would prefer to pay $40!  The 35 dollar jobbers work well for a lot of folks, and is usually OK for boat canvas.

hdflame

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on July 12, 2010, 10:58:03 am
Quote from: hdflame on July 12, 2010, 10:43:58 am
Gregg,

Both are listed here; http://keysew.com/Specials.htm

BTW...everybody would prefer to pay $40!  The 35 dollar jobbers work well for a lot of folks, and is usually OK for boat canvas.

I think we all look for the best deal that will also do the job.  Even spending $40 on something that won't do the job, is money thrown away.  I'm asking because I have no experience with any binder, cheap or expensive.

Not ever having used one, what makes the one that cost $250 more, better at binding curves?  I don't really need the swing away attachment, and I assume the custom one is made to simply screw down to my machine with little or no adjustments on my part.  And I'm sure that the more costly one is made better and will probably last longer.  I'm just trying to understand, without the benefit of your experience, what the $40 won't do, that the $280 will???  Will the $40 one go around curves?

If anyone with experience using one could explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. ;D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

MinUph

I had a generic type folder and used it on my pfaff with no problems. It does take some adjusting but not a big deal. I also worked around curves and curved corners I just had to go slow. No comparison to working without one. Now I need to get one for the Consew.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: hdflame on July 12, 2010, 04:13:02 pm
If anyone with experience using one could explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. ;D

:D
Straight generic is good for straight work, and normally work pretty well.  Lots of boat canvas folks get by just fine with these, and even if or when the time comes to buy the more expensive angle binder, nobody seems sorry they went with this generic straight binder to begin with.

Sunbrella or similar double fold binding material is stiff, and inherently does not conform to turns and curves well, and wants to 'lip up' around tight corners. 

That said, you can still conform the binding to pretty tight turns and curves in your work, and this is where the angle binder seems to work best.

Again, there is no percentage or magic bullet to determine what binder to go with, and people who do the same work can't even agree on 3/4" or 1", and I sell these two popular sizes right down the middle.

scarab29

Bobby , try the $35 one from greg in 1 in. A little easeir to keep it on the edge over the 3/4. You will like it. If you start doing a lot of covers and tops you'll find you want to upgrade to the swing away.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

ive got the chepo generacs. Ive got a fancy angle binder but I just cant get a handle on it and how it folds it backwards  ???