Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:49:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help with binding Sunbrella edges.

Started by hdflame, July 10, 2010, 04:45:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 14, 2010, 06:33:48 pm
ive got the chepo generacs. Ive got a fancy angle binder but I just cant get a handle on it and how it folds it backwards  ???

Funny you mention the angle binder.  I was thinking about an angle binder because I heard they went around corners better.

Anybody else used both and have an opinion?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Jim101

July 14, 2010, 08:27:52 pm #16 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:29:50 pm by Jim101
I've used both and I really like the right angle binder.

It's tricky at first, as are most binders, but once you get the feel for it, like what angle to hold the material passing through, it works like a charm.

I'll see if I can I can get some close up photos of my binder set-up on the Pfaff 545.  In the mean time this is similar to the one I bought on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300393204473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm still working on making the 90° turn with this binder.  I'm told it can be done but have yet to be able to pull off that maneuver with the ¾" binding.   Straight edges and curves and super easy with the right angle binder.

The only problem is with the attached right angle binder vs. the "swing away" type of binder is that it ties up the Pfaff 545 strictly for binding purposes because it requires a different presser foot, throat plate and feed dog.

I really like using the Pfaff 545.  It's a great old machine.  It even has the large pulley and the 3450RPM motor.  Just gotta handle her with care is all.  

One other word about binding.  Its a tedious job.  I try to set aside time, sometimes a whole day, just to do binding.  Even then you have to plan on things like the material getting away from the binder, running out of bobbin thread, tight curves, 90° turns, and the ever mysterious frayed thread even though everything else is working fine.

Jim

Mojo

I do a great deal of binding work and I use the fold away binder. I have never had a problem with it and fabric / binding placement is easy. I like being able to move the binder away to the right when need be.

I sew so much binding that I simply unscrew the thumb screw and remove the binder and leave the frame attached to the machine.

This is the binder I bought. It is built very well and I have been happy with it. I have been using it now for a long time and have had no problems with it.

http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-3-4-Swing-Bracket#

I am not sure if you can get these on E-Bay nor do I know if Greg sells these and what his price is. I believe I ordered mine off e-bay but cannot remember for sure as its been a while since I have bought it. But it works perfect for me. BTW Bobby I bind a lot of corners and this fold away model works great.

Chris

Mojo

Bobby:

I just ran across the box to my 1 " foldaway binder. It is Japanese made and is manufactured by Suisei.
The number on the box is A4s  -  25 mm

It is very high quality and works perfect. I also found the receipt and I did buy it from Sailrite.
The price I paid was $ 69.

I do not know if Bob or Greg carries this particular model.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Mike8560

ive got one of thoose right angle binders like that chris on a swingaway arm. I just cant get used to it. I like my chepo binder like the one you shower on the sawing arm. only with my singer and juki bveing top load bobbins I can mount the binders on there owm plate and slide them on and off as needed quick and easy.