Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:21:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consew machine

Started by CKKC, June 03, 2010, 01:39:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CKKC

I need your opinions on the value of a Consew Model 206RB-1.    Is it dependable?
What do you think it is worth in good condition?

Thanks,
CKKC

barrys

Gregg from Keyston sewing will probably respond with much more useful information.

All I know is that there are a number of different Consew 206 - RB ... models and they differ.
What are you going to use it for?  If it's for upholstery, most people on here recommend a "compound walking foot" machine which would be the Consew 206 - RB5 or the highly recommended clone made by a company called Highlead.  Those two machines are touted as very reliable.  I'm not sure if the RB1 differs in that regard.

hidebound

I am new at this but I have just done a bunch of research on Consew machines. I believe The R in the model number # means reverse, the B stands for big bobbin and the number after is the version of this model meaning this is an older 206 (first version). I bought a Consew 255B my machine is a compound feed (walking foot needle feed) it was made in the late 80s. I gave $300 dollars for mine but it had some minor problems when I bought it. I think I got a pretty good deal on mine. My thoughts for a 206 rb-1 in good shape with table and clutch motor private party sale would be in the neighborhood of $500.00. With a private party sale of course you have no dealer support. Most of this information I have just passed on came from Gregg at Keystone either directly or indirectly. Gregg was very helpfull and is also very knowledlable. Hopefully he will post soon and give you better info.

CKKC

Thanks for the input.  I just saw this machine at an upcoming auction and wondered if it was decent enough to drive out of state and pay a fortune for!   I don't think it has the nice clutch motor, but I'm not real sure about that.   

I just do my own upholstery with vinyl mostly and have just been using my Kenmore zig-zag
"stitch at a time" mode.   I still have a bunch of tire covers and padded walls to make for a van.

I appreciate any input on this!!

Carol

hdflame

>>I don't think it has the nice clutch motor, but I'm not real sure about that.

Carol,

The above may be true, but I would highly recommend the even nicer "SERVO" motor! ;D  Much easier to control, especially for someone new to a commercial machine.

Good luck on finding a machine.  We have two very good sewing machine dealers on here.  I bought my Highlead from Gregg at Keystone.  Very happy. ;D
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: CKKC on June 03, 2010, 01:39:37 pm
I need your opinions on the value of a Consew Model 206RB-1.    Is it dependable?
What do you think it is worth in good condition?

Thanks,
CKKC

Very good machine, made in Japan by Seiko, large bobbin with revesre, walking foot with needle feed, safety clutch. 

Very good machine if it's in good conditon.

CKKC

Thank you everyone,  and as usual my mistake was in saying the "nice" clutch motor.  I meant
to say the nice servo motor!  I am not a company or anything like that, just doing stuff for myself and my family so it doesn't have to be absolute top notch. 

I do appreciate all the input!!

Carol

hdflame

Quote from: CKKC on June 06, 2010, 04:41:22 pm
Thank you everyone,  and as usual my mistake was in saying the "nice" clutch motor.  I meant
to say the nice servo motor!  I am not a company or anything like that, just doing stuff for myself and my family so it doesn't have to be absolute top notch. 

I do appreciate all the input!!

Carol

Carol, you'll find that we pick a little on here occassionally. ;D  I got the servo because it was about the same price as a clutch motor and my skill level NEEDED it! :P  Now that I have it, I'm glad I went that route!  I've got an old Union Special that sews WAY too fast to control...for me anyway. :o

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

scott_san_diego

I bought my Consew 206-rb1 about 26 years ago and it is still going strong.  It has the standard clutch motor.  Never have problems with it. Gets a tune up about every 2 years.  Oiled twice a week. Gets used every day.

CKKC

Well, I went to the auction today and got my Consew!    :)   ;D

Can ya tell I'm happy!!

Mojo

Quote from: CKKC on June 19, 2010, 05:48:44 pm
Well, I went to the auction today and got my Consew!    :)   ;D

Can ya tell I'm happy!!

Congrats and enjoy.

Chris

wind_rose_2

Carol,
The decission to buy at auction or ebay or craigs list has been discussed many times here...pro and con
Just for curiosity it would be nice to see what it has cost you from day one (the day you bought it) to when you are actually using it..shipping, feet, motors,stand, etc as a comparison for those just biting the bullet and buying a reconditioned/new machine.
Best of luck with it and congradulations on your new aquisisition.
Dave

CKKC

I would be happy to Dave.    I admit that it would be nice to know more about the machine before going to an auction and bidding on it, but hopefully my assessment of the machine will be in the ballpark.  The only thing I can see missing is the bed slide plate!   I've got to find one before I can do much with it.  I'll keep a running total for ya!

Carol

wind_rose_2

Gregg at Keystone will have a plate Carol..drop him a line!
Dave

CKKC

I surely will!    I just wanted to get it running and see if anything else was amiss before ordering any parts.   

My husband is probably tired of hearing "If I need anything I can call Greg at Keystone!"