Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:39:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anybody using one of these?

Started by sofadoc, February 05, 2010, 03:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Gene: I talked earlier in this thread (2 years ago) about a pair of tile nippers that I modified with a little filing.
If stripping furniture were an olympic event, and the rules stated that you could only use ONE tool, I would use my modified tile nippers, and I promise that I would bring home the gold for the good ole' USA. (insert smiley dressed in "Uncle Sam" garb here).

The nippers that I use are very similar to yours, except they have a wider mouth. They can grab more. And after dulling the edges with a file, they will grab even the slightest protruding staple and pull it out without cutting it.
And when used in conjunction with a Berry's or Osborne, yes I use the tile nippers to hammer with. I don't care if it hairlips the guvner.

I've found the stripbit and the air chisel to be usefull only in special situations.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I probably got the idea for these nippers from you, sofadoc.

I'm going to look for a pair with a wider mouth. I can see how they would grab more but have a lot more torque.

gene

"...hairlips the guvner." LOL This sounds politically incorrect. LOL
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on July 03, 2012, 05:27:12 pm
I'm going to look for a pair with a wider mouth.

Here's the ones that I use:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100033894/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

They do require a little modifying with a file. You have to file away the tits that prevent the blade edges from coming together. Then dull the edges with a file so they will grab a staple without cutting it. Eventually, the hand grips loosen up and slide off easily. A little Gorilla glue takes care of that.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

November 28, 2012, 04:13:22 pm #63 Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:15:46 pm by gene
Back on topic.

Someone ran an ant trail of staples around the back of a chair, along with hot melt glue, to hold the double welt cord on.

No problem for my strip bit!

Oh - 42 of these chairs to do.

After I made this video I put the cordless drill on the inside of the welt cord and it took the welt cord off with no hesitation.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!