Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 07:12:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anybody using one of these?

Started by sofadoc, February 05, 2010, 03:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've got a supplier trying to sell me this tool:     http://www.stripbit.com/
Anybody got one? If so, is it as great as they claim? It looks like the video "glosses over" the time it takes to get ready to use it. Also, you still have to go back and remove, or drive down protruding staples.
Looks like it would be handy on dining room seats, except the ones made of particle board (looks like it would pull chunks of wood off along with the fabric).
Is it worth 90 bucks?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

February 05, 2010, 03:26:20 pm #1 Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:28:45 pm by hdflame
I've seen the video on this and I don't think it would work like they say.  I think you would be very limited to what it would really work good on.

As for the price, are they kidding? ???  I definitely would not pay $90 for it!  If your supplier is so sold on it, tell him  to give you one to try first, or maybe a refund including shipping if you're not satisfied.  I think you could easily have one welded up for $20 locally if you really wanted to try it.

I just don't think it would work.  If I remember right, when I watch the video a while back, it looked to me like the staples were already loosened when they were using it.

All you would really need is a half inch drill, cut a half inch piece of conduit with a slit in each side and chuck it up and try it.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: hdflame on February 05, 2010, 03:26:20 pm
  If your supplier is so sold on it, tell him  to give you one to try first, or maybe a refund including shipping if you're not satisfied. 

Actually, my supplier does offer a 14 day trial period. (not sure about return shipping).

fragged8

hiya

you could make one of those easy .........

i would use a drill with a torque cut out though, can you imagine what that would do to your wrists ..

regards
rich

papasage

I made  one . it pulls the material off  but leaves the staples pulled up and some arenot . i like the air chizzle  better better . like the bantam . . made my own  ripping chizzle blade  and i use the heavy duty  one frome  autoparts store  . got mine from  MAC too truck  it has more power . git the short barrel one .
just recovering 40 years

OddBall13

I was thinking that it would hurt your wrist too.  Even in the video he starts wearing wrist braise at about the 1 min mark. 

CJF

The air chisel works fast but at least on furniture can really tear up the wood frame. The guy who taught me used one. His would swivel too, which may be why it tore into the wood. It is fast but takes some practice. When I used it- it left splinters along the frame. Not a fan......

Darren Henry

Who makes this thing? K-Tel ? WE've all tried just yanking on the fabric with a pair of side cutters and half teh time the fabric rips before teh staples pop.My $20 air hammer (bought on sale for 10) with the modified chisel will do just fine thanks.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I have not used the stripbit. From what I have read, it would work well in specific applications, such as hard staples in a soft wood.

I also use the air chisel. I love it. I take off all my skirts with it. I take off all chip strips with it.

This week I stripped two wing back chairs that were upholstered with quilted fabric - quilted onto foam, not poly batting. It is a hard wood frame with way more wire staples than was needed. I couldn't even see the staples burried in the quilted fabric. I used the air chisel and it was a breeze.

I also had a sofa this week where they layered chip strip 3" up from the bottom of the frame, all around the sofa, so the skirt would hang under it for this particular look. 30 seconds walking around the sofa with the air chisel and all that chip strip was off. (I'm not putting a skirt on the reupholstered sofa.)

I use the V notched chisel that I sharpen on a grinding wheel. I never tear up the wood. I just need to be careful I do not hit any finished wood.

There is a learning curve to using the air chisel, but wow, it does save time.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

hdflame

I have an air chisel but have never used it on furniture.  Actually it came with my air compressor and I've never used it.

Do you guys have any pictures of how you modified your bits, or are some just using without any mods?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

lamx

That Stripbit looks like an accident waiting to happen.  I wouldn't try one on a bet!

Ed

byhammerandhand

There was a lengthy discussion about this on Carr's Corner a few months ago.  I hope cross-posting is OK, http://www.carrscorner.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,5335.0.html]

Sage posted several videos of both his version and his chisel work.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Skoda

QuoteThat Stripbit looks like an accident waiting to happen.  I wouldn't try one on a bet!

Yah, I'd really like to eliminate the occasional scraped knuckle, for a time saving tool that might torque a staple riffled board at my head. Or have to hang on to the drill and do a ninja move to avoid my wrists from collapsing and getting tangled in the drill cord, and then having to call 911 with my toes!

Shaun

Cheryl

I made my remarks on the stripbit at Carrs.

Quote30 seconds walking around the sofa with the air chisel and all that chip strip was off.

Gene...   ??  You're kidding!    What is a "chip strip"?  (Never heard that term before.)  And.. How did you do that in 30 seconds??   I have a Bantam and really like it but it is only FAST on easy to pull staples.. or...  ... ...  I am doing something waaayyyy wrong.

Thanks,

Cheryl
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

Speaking of Carrs Corner, what's the trick to getting accepted? I received an e-mail saying that my request for membership was "under review". That was 8 months ago. Guess I didn't make the cut.