Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:22:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anybody using one of these?

Started by sofadoc, February 05, 2010, 03:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Quote from: sofadoc on February 09, 2010, 06:44:15 pm
Hard to say without trying it. Fabric, foam and/or cotton might wrap around cutting disc. At the very least, you would probably plow through a lot of replacement discs.

If this is in reference to the HF tool I posted the link on, it doesn't rotate.  It vibrates back and forth.  It would just cut the staples off flush...I think.  Then you could just tap them down with a hammer so they'd be flush with the wood.  It may be worth the $39.95 to try it out. ???

Here's a video of it being used:
http://www.harborfreight.com/
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: hdflame on February 10, 2010, 08:48:56 pm
If this is in reference to the HF tool I posted the link on, it doesn't rotate.  It vibrates back and forth.  It would just cut the staples off flush...I think.  Then you could just tap them down with a hammer so they'd be flush with the wood.  It may be worth the $39.95 to try it out. ???

Oh, OK, that might be interesting. BTW, I ordered that DoubleRock staple remover today.
If you get the HF tool, keep us posted. If THAT doesn't work, we could always try dynomite!!

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

Quote from: sofadoc on February 10, 2010, 09:07:46 pm

Quote from: hdflame on February 10, 2010, 08:48:56 pm
If this is in reference to the HF tool I posted the link on, it doesn't rotate.  It vibrates back and forth.  It would just cut the staples off flush...I think.  Then you could just tap them down with a hammer so they'd be flush with the wood.  It may be worth the $39.95 to try it out. ???

Oh, OK, that might be interesting. BTW, I ordered that DoubleRock staple remover today.
If you get the HF tool, keep us posted. If THAT doesn't work, we could always try dynomite!!

I think you'll like the Doublerock.  Like I said, it's not the answer to everything, but it's a nice choice to have in the tool box.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

gene

February 25, 2011, 06:00:45 pm #48 Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:02:19 pm by gene
Here's the original post that got this post started: http://www.stripbit.com

I have 6 dining room chair slip seats at the shop. Today I cut the fabric around the edge along the bottom of the wood frame. I then took a 7/16" drill bit in my cordless drill and wrapped the beginning of the welt cord around the drill bit. This is the welt cord that runs around the bottom of the slip seat. I then ran the drill all around the bottom of the seat and the welt cord came off. It was really, really easy. No strain on my wrist or my drill. I was actually surprised.

I then went around the seat bottom and pulled out the staples that were sticking up.

The only issue I had was getting the wrapped welt cord and fabric off the drill bit. I can see where the stripbit would allow you to slide the stuff off much easier.

I'll let you know how the stripbit works when I get one.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Yeah Gene, if you give a good report, I think I'll get one.
I can see where it would do great on slip seats, and sofa bottoms, and maybe skirts.
But, there are a lot of nooks and crannies that I don't see that tool being able to get into. They would have you believe that you can strip a loveseat to the bare bone in 25 minutes using ONLY that tool. I highly doubt that.
I like the way they show only the most ideal situations, such as a Flexsteel sofa with no bottom cloth, and all the staples turned in the same direction. Try that with a sofa that has been covered multiple times, and the staples are turned every which-a-way.
But, as we all said before. There is no single tool that is the "Be all, end all" for stripping. 
Even if it only helps on a few applications, it's probably worth the money.

gene

April 09, 2011, 03:34:53 pm #50 Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:36:55 pm by gene
Here's the original post that got this post started: http://www.stripbit.com

I will give credit where credit is due. Absolutely awesome!

I worked on 8 dining room chairs today. I cut around the bottom edge with a razor blade knife. I pulled up a bit of the fabric on the bottom of the frame, stuck it in the slit, and away I went. It works exactly like the video.

I did have a machinist friend with a metal lathe make mine.

I had to work at it a bit a few times, but it definitely saves a lot of time. It leaves a few staples sticking up that are easy to pull out.

Also, I used my cordless drill. It put a lot of torque on it, so I think I will try the electric drill the next time.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL. THINK OF LEANING OVER A LATHE MACHINE WEARING A TIE.

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 09, 2011, 03:34:53 pm
YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL. THINK OF LEANING OVER A LATHE MACHINE WEARING A TIE.

Hey, I saw what happened to Tim (The Tool Man).

What about particle board dining room seats? It seems like it might pull chunks of wood off with the fabric.
Is your home-made one basically the same? How about a pic?

gene

April 30, 2011, 08:25:07 pm #52 Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:47:19 pm by gene
Hello, greetings, salutations, and Ni hao.

Here's the original post: http://www.stripbit.com

Here's a pic of my home made one:

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/boat/DSCF2124.jpg

I prepped a sofa today. I used it on the welt cord around the bottom. I used this little baby to take off the ply grip on the back out sides, and the chip strip across the back out top. I used it for the ply grip on both outside sides.

I always try it on any welt cord, ply grip, chip strip, and on fabric that was cut and there are strips of it still stapled to the furniture, on the bottom for example, that I want to take off.

It does not always work because of too many staples, for example, but I am at a place where I always try it first.

Look at the video. That's how it works for me.

On mine, I would have had the slit made about 1" deeper.

Also, I spray just a bit of silicone spray on it when I know I am going to have a really long run. This helps the stuff to slide off the tool. Sometimes I need to run the drill backwards and sort on unwind the stuff. I can usually pull it off or knock it off with another tool like a screwdriver or a small hammer.

Be careful kids, it can wrap your fingers and arms up in the stuff you are pulling off very quickly. Those of you that prep furniture with your tongue hanging out may want to stick with the Berry staple puller.

gene

Darren Henry

I retract my initial "PHOO PHOO" about this tool. It appears I was wrong. But I do have questions.

QuoteIt does not always work because of too many staples, for example

Has anyone tried it on vinyl ? I'm thinking of the restaurant booths I am often called on to redo with the boss chirpin' about how he can do them in 10 minutes (including pick up and delivery). Most of the time the time honoured "cut and grab with a pair of pliers and yank" gets denied by 18 staples/inch. Does this tool fair better than just yarding on the material by hand?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Darren,

I haven't used it on vinyl yet. I would think that the vinyl with a backing would put up the staples better than the cheap stuff.

I started on 8 dining room chair slip seats today. About 6 and 1/2 million staples in each seat and the wood base is MDF. Yuck!!! I cut around the edge of the seat near the welt cord with a razor blade. I put the end of welt cord in the gizzmo and off it went. I put the gizzmo into the cambric and off it went. I pulled up tabs of the fabric strips on the bottom and off they went. The main problem was in the corners where there were most of those 6 1/2 million staples.

It does put some strain on my wrists and drill.

gene

sofadoc

OK Gene, you talked me into it. I just ordered one. I also ordered a dozen ties! :D

I've ranted here before about my lamebrained, numbskull helper, who can't seem to grasp the fine art of stripping furniture. He'll probably just hurt himself with this tool, but it's worth a shot.

gene

LOL.

I'm looking forward to how well it works for you.

The best thing about this tool is that it's made of metal. You helper can't possible break it. As for the ties, well, I hope they weren't those expensive ones Rush Limbaugh sells.

gene

gene

June 09, 2012, 01:18:26 pm #57 Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:21:55 pm by gene
Here's my first attempt at making a video. I am using my strip bit to take of ply grip. The ply grip on this chair was put on in sections. The other chair the ply grip was one long piece and I was able to take it off in one long piece.

It's going to take some practice to do the work, hold my coffee cup without spilling it, AND to video the work that I am doing. This is another good reason that I am glad I do not smoke.

This chair was a regular slat back dining room style chair that someone had put a back pad onto.

gene

sofadoc

You and me have the same problem Gene.
We could make great movies......... if we only had a friend to hold the camera :'(

Keep the vids coming.

gene

July 01, 2012, 06:47:42 pm #59 Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:53:28 pm by gene
When I started upholstery I would take each individual staple out to remove the cambric, then each staple to remove the chip strip, then each staple out to remove the welt cord, then each staple out to undo the bottom of the fabric.

I now use a pneumatic chisel, which we have talked about on here before. I use this for all skirts and some welt cord that is 4 or 5 inches, for example, above the bottom of the furniture.

I use the strip bit whenever possible because it works great when it works great, it's fun, and it looks dangerous.

The other method I use is in the video. I find that there are some applications, like this ottoman, where the pneumatic chisel might damage the frame, and the strip bit will not go around the big onion type feet. This takes up the cambric, chip strip, and welt cord.

Here's my videos. The first one (second below) I tried to hold a cigarette in my hand just to be a smart a$$. But, since I don't smoke and I had to borrow this cigarette from a friend, I wasn't very good at it.

I hope this is helpful to folks who haven't thought about this technique. I'm sure I got this idea from this forum many years ago.

http://s830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/?action=view&current=DSCF2491.mp4][/URL]

gene