Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:50:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Furniture Marketing (discounters) is definitely increasing

Started by baileyuph, January 28, 2019, 06:20:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In this metro area has had a decrease in outlets selling at very low prices.  Just the last few weeks
there has been three more start - ups who are selling over stock?  There are a lot selling sofa/love
combo at under $500.  This latest outlet will even deliver at no cost at that price. 

I surmise that the over stock furniture is arriving from China?  The furniture looks like their
work.

Changes continue!

Doyle

gene

The "overstock" is usually parts from overseas sitting in a manufacturing facility waiting for an order from the retail store to be assembled. Or sometimes it's furniture from overseas sitting in a warehouse waiting for orders from retail stores to be delivered. I don't think retail stores need to carry big inventories any more. Just one of each item on the floor and maybe a few "hot" items in the back for quick sales.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

We stopped buy a furniture store out-of-business sale. When we saw the prices we could see why they were liquidating. 10 piece sectional, $7000. Salesman said he could let it go for $5000. Brand name was one I've never seen before. More and more I see brands I've never seen before.

This same store was selling oriental rugs for 80% off.

What amazes me is the amount of mattress stores popping up. Seems like one on every corner.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I may be repeating myself.

My son works part time on the weekends for a guy who sells mattresses at High Schools around the state as a fund raiser. It's a national fund raising company and they get discounts on quality mattresses from a major mattress manufacturer and they are able to sell their mattresses at a lower price that is attractive to the buyer, allows for a profit to the fund raising company and the mattress manufacturer, and raises money for the High School band or football team or whatever. I think this gives the manufacturer a place to sell outdated models or over runs. There is nothing cheap about these mattresses. It still amazes me that mattresses are being sold as a fund raiser.

My shop is in one of three buildings in an industrial park at the end of the street. Several years ago I was leaving my shop on a Friday evening and someone in a car stopped and asked where the place was that was selling mattresses. I did not know. Throughout that summer I would have cars stop as I was leaving on Saturday and ask me where they were selling mattresses. I thought "selling mattresses" was code for selling drugs. It turned out that a guy across the street was actually selling mattresses out of his warehouse unit. LOL

PS: The high today is going to be 15 F and I don't want to go to work. I called in sick.

Gene

SteveA

That's one product that's harder to figure out the tissue than any other.  They change names, descriptions, warranties, and make it seem like 3-4 manufacturers are 20 different companies.  A decent queen size here in NY is $ 1000.00 and they say it will only last 10 years.  Lately all the mattresses are being made to bend for a motorized base.  Has anyone ever bought a Saatva ?  I'm thinking they might be better than what you get in Mattress Firm
SA

kodydog

Mattress firm, that's funny. There is one in St Augustine, I didn't know it was a chain. I always look for their sign on the way to Ace Hardware. Ace Hardware sign is tiny and I miss it if not paying attention.

Mattress is another product that is hard to believe people buy on line. My sister did, it came in a box. She loves it.

baileyuph

Apparently, buying on-line is the way for a large portion of consumers.  Especially, the younger segment.

Not as many of that group even care to own a car or a home with yard work to be done.

The world is changing at least in these parts.

Sears is realistically gone - just one or another example.

Upholstery and the associated market is changing also.

Doyle

baileyuph

Are things changing for the large wholesalers?  Just in the past few days one is giving it up
in this area.  Big signs "going out of business" - with "for real this time" are posted.  Seems reasonable
that there can be too many of anything/type.

It isn't easy to understand when a sofa is $149!

Time continues to change things.

Doyle

kodydog

Quote from: baileyuph on March 03, 2019, 07:20:54 am
"for real this time"

Now that's funny.

It all boils down to the consumer. You and I can see just exactly what a $149 sofa is. Unfortunately the general population is just shopping price. Rose gives plenty of online estimates to those type shoppers and generally it is a waste of time. We tend to target those who have an understanding of the difference between quality and junk. A small niche for sure. But it keeps our mom and pop business busy.

baileyuph

"For real this time"

I was talking to another retailer that this discounter had been in and then out within a short time -
several times.  But, apparently he is quitting for sure this time.

There may be more going forward (this type) - for the obvious reason there are so many now
(discounters).

Yes, to what you say about our quality Mom/Pop business -- we are all busy and there are fewer
small quality shops around.  It doesn't look to change going forward.

Hang in there!

Doyle

SteveA

Another issue I notice - including me - is to shop places with good return policies.  Costco and Sams Club are examples.  You can buy it, use it - wrap it back up, and return it - no questions asked.
SA

kodydog

Yep, the only bad thing about Walmarts no question asked policy is customers think that goes for all business. Including the mom and poppers. Many years ago we had a lady buy a 40 yard bolt of fabric. 6 months later she brought it back and asked for her money back. She was not happy with our "all sales are final" policy.

6 years ago we found a really cool mid century chaise lounge at a neighbors curb. We completely restored it and covered it in tapestry. We listed it on craigslist and sold it. We let her test it in the back of the van before we carrying it up to a second floor condo. She loved it. 2 weeks later she called and said she didn't like it anymore, could we come get it. Once again we told her all sales are final. Another unhappy customer.

baileyuph

Hard to believe some expectations of customers.  Probably none of these examples couldn't even give
a reason for the "return" request?

Next ...  some might want to return a half slice of bread?

Times keep changing.

Doyle

gene

Years ago I had a friend who worked at Krogers, the big grocery store. They had a policy that you could return anything if you complained that it was bad and get a replacement. They had people returning half cartons of milk, half eaten pot roasts, etc. When they computerized all their operating processes, they required an ID to be able to return any food items. They found out that the same small group of people were returning 98% of all items. That's when they changed their return policy.

gene

kodydog

That's funny, Publix has a policy that if they scan an item that is different from the shelf tag price they give it to you for free. Rose watches them like a hawk. Its almost like a game for her. Its a rare shopping trip she doesn't get something free. Alcohol is excluded. You would think they would follow up and change the tag immediately. We can go back two days later and get the same item free again. Is this dishonest? Its almost like we are taking advantage of them.