Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:32:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Old Rocker

Started by SteveA, October 25, 2018, 02:09:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Won't that metal on metal squeak? Good idea, though.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Quote from: SteveA on October 30, 2018, 04:46:00 am

When I was at the customer's house - I was too focused in on the wood repair and refinishing.  Not fully thinking like an veteran upholsterer I thought to myself

Yep, been there many times myself. Most times its hard to see what's going on until you take the piece apart. By that time you've already given the estimate. If its a small change we can usually eat the cost but most customers would not be happy with an extra $250 added to the bill.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

The metal on metal should squeak but when I pushed down I didn't hear anything.  There isn't much deflection.  Now that you mention it - I will put some cotton in between the coils and hope for the best
SA

SteveA

Wiping stain - 2 coats of sealer

SteveA

1 sealer coat - 2 finish coats - gloss lacquer

SteveA

Photobucket seems to be working OK - I think I could just load an image without the link since the image is opening up when I click on it.
Are you getting the same result with the image opening ?
SA

kodydog

The chair looks great Steve. The link worked good, was nanosecond fast.

SteveA

I delivered the Rocker last week but I almost had to do the seat cover over.  While i was applying the gimp - I lifted the gimp to re-position it and on the way back down I rubbed glue against the fabric on the side of the chair.  This fabric called crypton was a vinyl with a backing. I couldn't pick  off the glue too well with the regulator and thought about softening the glue with the heat gun.  Thank goodness I did a test first on an extra scrap of the same fabric because the gun melted it.  Picking was nerve racking because the glue was stuck in the fibers of the fabric and I was afraid it would fray the surface.  I picked away - it didn't get much better and the glue was presenting a white course blemish on the pink fabric.  In the end i picked off what I could then lightly heated the glue with the heat gun - pressed it flat and colored it with pink lacquer touch up.  Don't laugh - it passed :)
Question - what else could I have done to get the glue off - this was a tough lesson
SA

kodydog

November 11, 2018, 04:20:47 pm #24 Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:22:20 pm by kodydog
Been in that very same situation many times. Hot glue gets messy at times. If the glue is not smashed into the fabric my number one go to is Ronson Lighter Fuel. This works pretty much on any sticky substance.

If the hot glue is smashed into the fabric sometimes you can lift the trim and pull the fabric slightly tighter.

My best advise and I know its too late but when you get a little carless with the glue stop what ever you are doing and let it cool. Most times once its cooled and hasn't been messed with it will lift off much easier. And yes, I have been known to touch up mistakes with markers. That is always the second to last resort. The last resort is replacing the whole thing, ugg!

SteveA

Lighter fuel - thanks for the tip - I will try it on the next screw up - which will be this week I'm sure -
Tightening the seat could have worked but getting that seat on was tough for me.  Didn't want to consider that option.  Reasons = first I turned over the edges to double the fabric on the sides.  When I came to the water fall edge - turning the corner and plus making the cuts to go around the side edges of the apron was hard for me.  Took several times and couldn't get the front left and right corners to lay flat so finally stuffed in some poly to puff it out there.  I was using 1/4 in. staples because I knew I would be pulling them out as I struggled but when I finally got it all right more than 2 hours later - I shot 9/16th staples to sure up everything.  What I pain to re-due if I had to but touch up has saved me a million times. 
That hot glue was plastered into the fabric - it was not like a drip that could be easier to pick off when cold.  The easiest part of the job - hot glue gimp and i let it get away from me, -
I was so mad at myself for not going slow and being extra careful -
SA

gene

I put the hot melt glue on the gimp, unless I am working with a velvet or chenille or corduroy or any type of fabric where the hot melt glue will not come off easily. Then I put the hot melt glue on the fabric, especially in the corners. I've learned this from many mistakes. It seems like it's too easy for me to touch the fabric in the wrong place with the bottom side of the gimp.

Sometimes I can cut the fibers to get the glue off. I use small scissors and cut as few fibers as I can. I test it on a scrap to make sure it won't be visible.

I've tried to use the end of the glue gun to reheat the glue but I have not had success with this at all.

Chair looks great, Steve.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Gene - I put the glue on the fabric not the gimp but when I lifted the gimp to re-position I was rushing before the glue cooled - it's busy now and I'm going too fast to try to keep up. 
SA

Mojo

Steve, love that rocker. Awesome job. :)

Mojo

kodydog

November 14, 2018, 07:08:27 pm #29 Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:09:05 pm by kodydog
Quote from: SteveA on November 12, 2018, 02:56:59 pm
I was so mad at myself for not going slow and being extra careful -
SA

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get. Truth