Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:49:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Welt

Started by 65Buick, November 04, 2018, 09:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Hi guys.
Sadly, I failed with my leather. I knew it was a possibility
Anyway, when rounding corners on things like seats - do you prefer a foam welt in a woven fabric & a fiber-flex in a leather or vinyl?

And if you're curious, I made 1 too many mistakes and now the boxing isn't enough to cover the side of the seat. I did try sewing to the bottom, still not enough.

sofadoc

I don't like to use a foam welt in any kind of cloth fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I use fiber welt cord in everything sometimes a rare occasion I will use the plastic stuff in a boat. Not in vinyl but in fabric in a boat so it won't mold.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I always hated using foam welt. I did a lot of outdoor cushions at one time so used it but hated every minute of it.

Mojo

gene

64Buick, when I started my upholstery career a guy who had about 30 years working as an upholsterer said the number one thing I can do is learn how to sew boxed cushions. He said that is the hardest thing to master. I did and he was right.

There's a few videos on youtube that show how to turn corners with welt cord. One is from a guy who does autos and he has a good explanation of doing an inside corner.

Instead of seeing your leather work as a failure, try to get something out of the experience so it will become an expensive learning experience instead. And then try not to have to pay for the same lesson again in the future. :-)

You can also search this forum. One of the most asked type of technical questions seems to be about boxed cushions.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!