Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:27:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone done any business with diyupholsterysupply.com

Started by Upholstery Clinic, August 27, 2018, 10:45:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Upholstery Clinic

Does anyone know if DIY Upholstery Supply is legit.  I wouldn't normally buy from someone who sells wholesale to the public, but my 3 normal suppliers do not carry the vinyl I needed.  I ordered the material last Tuesday, PayPal took the money out on Wednesday, but all I got was an invoice confirming the order with no tracking number.  Call them and you only get voicemail and they have not as of now returned any calls.  Also any emails get returned as undeliverable.

Jim

sofadoc

I've heard a lot of talk about DIY on a FB group. Many are experiencing the same problem as you. Long delays with no response.

Their website says they are owned by Kris and Dotie Charlebois. However, Dotie's FB page indicates that she is now widowed, and "worked at DIY Upholstery". So perhaps there has been a recent shakeup in family ownership. Sounds like a cash flow problem is delaying shipments.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Yes you can request a refund at PayPal if you dont receive goods.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Upholstery Clinic

Thanks for the responses.  I wouldn't have ordered from them but I needed 2 yards of Naugahyde Twilight Midnight Grey for one of the hospitals in the area, and my 4 normal suppliers (Keyston, Stinson, Miami Corp and Burch) don't stock it, and DIY said they have it.  I don't really mind a delay as long as you return my call and let me know.  Looks like I will be contacting PayPal.

Jim

Upholstery Clinic

I googled their names.  Kris died May 20 2017.  So it has been awhile.  PayPal had a different email address for contact.  Going to give that a try, if it doesn't work, I will open a claim on them.

SteveA

I never purchased anything from them but they have a nice web site and I've watched all of his videos on you tube.  Sorry to hear he passed - that must be the problem with your order.
I never heard anything bad about them previously - maybe face book is the place to get current info - never tried face book - I'm too ugly !
SA

sofadoc

Upholstery Clinic

Well sofadoc that sure does not make me feel good.  Yesterday I emailed the email address that PayPal has and got an answer back from someone named Michelle.  She said it shows that the order is shipping from their North Carolina warehouse and she would check and see what the status is.  I am wondering if they were bought by another company, since their website only shows a Mississippi warehouse.  As of this time, I have not received an update. 

Anyone have a supplier that stocks Naugahyde Twilight?  All 4 of mine do not.  Those would be CF Stinson, Burch Fabric, Miami Corp and Keyston Bros.

sofadoc

According to this BBB page, the owner is Michelle Fraser.
https://www.bbb.org/us/ms/horn-lake/profile/upholstery-supplies/diy-upholstery-supply-0543-44003874

I checked with a couple of my suppliers. They said that Twilight is a dropped pattern. Masco Fabrics said that it has been discontinued for quite some time now. So even if you can find some old stock somewhere, you may as well convince your client that it's time for a change. 

Upholstery Clinic

Sofadoc, I still figured it was still a stock item since Naugahyde still shows it with all the other vinyls on their website.  I figured if it was discontinued, they would have removed it.  I need it for part of a treatment table at one of the local hospitals, and it is the material the manufacturer used.  Because of the uniqueness of how it looks, and since they only want to do the damaged pieces, I have to try and find some if at all possible.

sofadoc

After looking at that pattern online, I remember it now. I used it on ER lobby chairs at a local hospital about 15 years ago. I reached a point where I could no longer find it in stock anywhere.

You may get lucky and find a supplier that still has some laying around.

My guess is that DIY knew they didn't have it, but they took your money anyway because they need cash flow.

But some people DO report getting their orders eventually (but not without 3-4 weeks of no response).

Upholstery Clinic

It's been 2 days since Michelle from DIY emailed me and said she would follow up on the order.  Since then, no contact and ignoring my emails.  I just emailed her and told her to cancel my order and refund my money back to PayPal or I will file a complaint.  That damn website of theirs looks so good that it fools you into thinking they are a reputable business.

Jim

sofadoc

Yes, they do have a nice website that's easy to navigate. I've often used their link when I'm referencing a particular item in a discussion. And they list some very attractive prices on many items. But like you say, they sell to anyone. No loyalty to the trade. But that seems to be the direction the whole industry is going anyway.

I fell out with them over an order of what they (mis)represented as "silk film". After a few tense conversations over the phone, I decided to just keep the plastic sheeting instead of trusting them to refund my money (minus shipping) if I sent it back. It was going to cost me nearly $60 shipping just to get a $100 refund.

They pretty much let me know over the phone that they weren't terribly concerned about losing my business. Since then, I've read many complaints about DIY on a FB group. But with each complaint, there's someone else that always comes to their defense.

Upholstery Clinic

Well I am surprised.  After emailing them and requesting my money be refunded back to my PayPal account, they actually did it promptly.  Not sure if telling them I was going to file a complaint with PayPal, and then with the BBB had anything to do with it.  I found the material at another website, this one was Decorative Fabrics Direct.  Actually had a customer service rep take the order over the phone, immediately emailed me a receipt, and the product shipped today and I was emailed a tracking number.  Wish I had ordered from them first.

Jim

MinUph

Kinda off subject but I received a cushion job from a customer today and she brought her own fabric purchased from Fabrics.com I think that was the name but anyway the fabric is a cotton print. Very good quality, rolled nicely, and packaged well in a box. The cost was 9.49 per yard. The receipt was rolled in the fabric. I should be buying from them. My cotton prints are probably 40 a yard retail. Sure is hard to compete ea?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website