Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:34:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone done any business with diyupholsterysupply.com

Started by Upholstery Clinic, August 27, 2018, 10:45:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I wonder how fast the colors will fade on that cotton fabric at $9.49 per yard? And how easy is it to get pulls in it?

I ordered 64" wide canvas from them earlier this year off Amazon. My cutting table is 60" wide and I cover it with canvas. I usually get my canvas from Rowley's in NC, which is 72" wide. The 64" turned out to be 58". I returned it and won't buy anything from them again. Fool me once...

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Interesting. I'm only going by the feel of the fabric and the quality of it off the roll. It works like any other high quality cotton print. None last forever. Screen printing is not the same as dyed yarn. But all in all I think it is good fabric. 55" wide, nice feel, sews well, no catches.
  I'm sure it is an imported product but many are and not all are bad.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

When I first began sewing, I bought a little 'outdoor' printed duck for the patio chairs. (joann) I was blown away by how long the colors lasted. As a comparison, I bought two outdoor umbrellas that were green. They faded terribly.
Extremely hard to know. Even if you're a chemist, have a microscope, and are thoroughly versed in textiles production.

MinUph

Reds and greens fade the most. Like you say 65, it is next to impossible to say how things will react in the field no matter where you buy from or how much you pay for the goods. While there are some fabrics known to hold up better in the field others are not so easy to tell. Through experience it become slightly more of an educated guess on quality but by far not foolproof.
  There use to be a saying "you get what you pay for" That no longer applies to the textile industry. You can spend 10 bucks a yard and get quality or 100 bucks a yard and get junk. This is why is is best to stick with known vendors that care.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I didn't know that red/green fade the most.
Funny thing, cus the neighbor just bought an umbrella - in red!

I enrolled in a textiles class at the local community college. Maybe I'll learn something new. There's a slight chance we'd go on an outing to L.A. to a textile mill.

kodydog

Keep us posted on that class. You can never know too much about textiles. There is always something new to learn. Is this class specific to decretive fabrics?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Mostly, yes. It's a combo class that's geared towards students within fashion design or interior design.