Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 06:33:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What do you do for social networking? Need advise.

Started by vu, January 23, 2018, 05:51:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vu

Do you guys use social networking to be more visible? What do you use and how? We did not really do much except basic facebook and some twitter, but  I don't think it makes us more visible to people in the area.

kodydog

Interesting question.

I think the definition has somewhat changed over the last 20 years. "Social networking is the practice of expanding the number of one's business and/or social contacts by making connections through individuals, often through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+." And this is fine. Our Google account has brought us much business and it has helped the ranking of our web site to climb higher in a search for upholsterers in my area. Facebook has only brought us a handful of new customers over the last 3 years. But it does help us keep in contact with old customers and my wife posts on it several times a week. We are also on Yelp and Houzz. Both bring us a few new customers every year.

In order for these sites to work for your business they need to be updated weekly. New photos and stories and personal tips from the trade. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work for a small amount of business. The good thing is its mostly free.

I much prefer the older definition of social networking. That is going out there and meeting people. This could mean a scheduled meeting with a decorator (perhaps found on the internet) or attending a fundraiser (my favorite is animal rescue) or attending other social gatherings like parties, concerts or other artsy type functions. Whatever your favorite social venue, when meeting new people always work into the conversation your occupation. It is usually a good conversation starter and there is nothing like meeting potential customers face to face.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

vu

I am trying to figure out the modern ways. I have tried paid facebook ads - it brings  your page likes, but zero new customers. Yes google maps is definitely the most important. i just feel that some people having a huge advantage using this platforms right.

MinUph

All these options are good if they are free. Website, Facebook, Google they are all helpful but none are going to bring you tons of work. Each one builds on the other and they all build on you presents online. I've never found Linkedin to be very good for my business and Google+ has always seemed to be more technically geared so I don't do much there. I concentrate on the website and Facebook, Google webmaster tools and let it all run its course.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

January 23, 2018, 07:17:40 pm #4 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:38:00 pm by kodydog
Quote from: vu on January 23, 2018, 11:03:13 am
i just feel that some people having a huge advantage using this platforms right.

Multi-million dollar companies have huge advertising budgets and an IT team. This gives them an advantage. We're not competing with big corporations. We are competing with other local upholsterers. In my area most other upholsterers do not put the effort into the social marketing network. This gives ME the advantage. I think... :)

Do you have an Google My Business account? That and a web site would be my first two suggestions. They go hand in hand.

https://business.google.com/photos/l/00623387398447260114
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Capper12

Social networking is important for numerous reasons, although it can be very time consuming, try to be as active as you can. As said above, you're not trying to conquer the world, focus on building a strong and active community of prospective customers. A few hundred followers of genuinely interested and active people is much more beneficial to you as a professional than thousands of inactive followers.
Capper
GB Foam Direct
GB Foam Direct