Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:28:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

foam prices

Started by gene, December 11, 2017, 05:08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

US Foam out of Michigan has free shipping on orders over $100, east of the Rocky Mountains. (Does anyone remember when Coors was NOT available east of the Rocky Mountain)

They had a price increase in August of this year and another 9% in November. That's a big increase.

Anyone else notice prices for foam or other supplies going up recently?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Michigan? Thought it was Indiana.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I thought it was Indiana also. I have no idea why I typed Michigan.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

December 12, 2017, 05:35:41 pm #3 Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:39:51 pm by kodydog
Foam prices are a mystery. They tell us it is tied to petroleum prices. But when gas prices go down foam prices stay the same. All I can tell you is to shop around. Currently we get ours from Hickory Springs. They have warehouses throughout the states. I don't know if they have one in Indiana.

Every time we call our sales rep the prices are different. Sometimes drastically different. I think when pricing for small shops like us he just makes up prices. :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

The best explanation I ever got of why foam goes up even when gas doesn't, was right after Katrina.

The chemical that makes the foam rise during the baking process is a by-product of crude oil. Katrina destroyed one of only two plants in America that produce this chemical. Rather than rebuild, they just doubled the price.

Sometimes crude oil shortages affect the availability of that chemical without causing a shortage at the gas pump.

Even though US Foam has had some frequent price increases recently, their price is still the best I've found. I don't shop around any more. I might find a supplier with lower prices, but it's usually because they haven't restocked yet. As soon as they do, their price will spike. It's like shopping all over town trying to find prices lower than Wal-Mart. You might find a few sales on selected items, 

baileyuph

We are in agreement on foam prices - quality foam is plain expensive.  Especially when the freight is added in and as the foam thickness requirement increases.  Some can go to 6 inches!

Not cheap.

People getting bigger - often the thicker is what they want -- cost is very related to quality and size.

Doyle

65Buick

I think almost anything related to petroleum is a mystery.
But, if you were the manufacturer you have to decide, what's the most the logical thing to do?

With foam, they know it is widely used and nobody is changing to anything else (latex?) yet so they can increase the price and probably not get a reduction in sales.

I would be really curious to know what the big furniture makers pay though, and how much control they have.

SteveA

Latex foam is very expensive - I've never ordered it for that reason.  I just bought a new gallon of K -Spray glue.  I've gone from only using the rattle cans of K Spray  to the jar sprayer with the compressor.  A world of difference.  Anyway the glue is a little heavy and the thinner for the K Spray is expensive.  Are there cheaper alternatives to thinning the glue.  e.g.  Lacquer Thinner -  Denatured alcohol  ?  - thanks for the advice 

Wishing All Here The Very Best for the Friendship this past year - may all be Healthy - have Success - Faith - and Laughter always -

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on December 22, 2017, 11:44:04 am
Anyway the glue is a little heavy and the thinner for the K Spray is expensive.  Are there cheaper alternatives to thinning the glue.

Must be the difference in climate. I never have to thin mine (I use Camie brand adhesive).

I put a separate regulator on my sprayer, and keep it on 50 PSI. It sprays better for me that way. But I know that Paul says his sprays just fine at 80-90 PSI.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 11, 2017, 05:08:05 pm
They had a price increase in August of this year and another 9% in November. That's a big increase.

That increase may bite them in the butt a little (since they have free shipping on orders over $100).

Before, I always had to buy 2 sheets in order to get the free shipping. After the price increase, now I only have to buy 1.

The 6" that I usually buy went from $98.10 to $111.

Capper12

The price of foam can be rocky. If something goes wrong in distribution, suppliers have to raise their prices to cover their costs. Classic supply and demand, unfortunately.
Capper
GB Foam Direct
GB Foam Direct

MinUph

Quote from: SteveA on December 22, 2017, 11:44:04 am
Anyway the glue is a little heavy and the thinner for the K Spray is expensive.  Are there cheaper alternatives to thinning the glue.  e.g.  Lacquer Thinner -  Denatured alcohol  ?  - thanks for the advice

I use K glue for years and have found Cami a bit better. You can thin either one with laq thinner. I've done it for many years with no issues. And yes either one is far better that the spray cans. I do spray at my normal compressor pressure or around 80. We have the glass mason jar sprayers. I think they are K-sprayers. I forget. I bought one of the cheap black sprayers it is crap.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website