Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New furniture with large spaced top stitching with very large thread - Seen this

Started by baileyuph, July 15, 2017, 06:48:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I have and for some reason the stitching failed.  

Have had a few request as to what can be done.  After analysis, response is; practically
nothing in the form of a repair but if original upholstery component is available (from factory)
Remove and replace - and cost will depend.

This has come up a few times lately, without a lengthy answer, so far "procure original
component and replace"

Any experiences in this example?

Even, trying to resew once it is removed has details that offer constraints.

Who makes the furniture?  Probably China or the like.

This is a bigger can of worms than meets the eye.  I won't go into it.

Again, any experience with this type of issue?

Doye

sofadoc

I get those repair jobs from local furniture stores.
They always furnish a new cover already cut & sewn from the factory.
I wouldn't dream of trying to to re-create that seam on the existing cover.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I have seen the thick top stitch but never saw it fail. I can't even imagine what would cause this unless the thread is inferior or it is in a place that gets lots of wear. But then the fabric should show signs also.

You say you have seen this more then once? Is this on new furniture? Do you think it was stretched too tight?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Yes, it is new furniture in cloth but probably mainly in processed leather of a sort.  Like I said, replace it with new replacements.

What causes it, probably several things; pets with their sharp nails is suspect right away.

I don't know what size the cord used for this effect is, but must be twice as heavy as
#120 thread.  It is stitched, usually in a form of leather, but a layer of backing foam also.

Just wondering what machine the factory uses?

All said, the cord, machine used, my small shop isn't isn't geared.

Even if a shop was geared, it could be a challenge to restitch perfectly over the bulk in

the cover.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on July 16, 2017, 09:58:22 am
I don't know what size the cord used for this effect is, but must be twice as heavy as
#120 thread.
I have some 206 thread. The stuff they use is way thicker. I think you could tow a truck with it.

Quote from: DB on July 16, 2017, 09:58:22 am
Just wondering what machine the factory uses?
I don't know, but they must use a railroad spike for a needle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban