Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:55:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Narrow crown gun

Started by MinUph, July 12, 2017, 06:17:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I don't know if I have brought this up before but I'm going to again anyway. I have searched for a narrow crown staple gun for a long time. I have one from Harbor Freight but it uses 18 gauge staples. They may as well be nails. Way to thick. While stripping some bar stools for the past week or so I see the 22 gauge narrow crowns and it makes me want to find them. This is to staple on vinyl double welt. I am using my standard guns and coloring the staples but these are so much better being narrow crown. Do ANYONE know where I can get a gun and staples 22 gauge?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I have the duo fast 23 guage - 3/16th crown - from 1/4 to 3/4 - highly recommend it
SA

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

RiCat

I do not do much furniture but I have always been thinking about the dbl welt issue and fastening it. I am going to keep this in mind and consider ordering one myself just to have it in case I need it. Thanks to you for the idea...

Regards

Rick

MinUph

Ya know I have searched many times for this size gun. I don''t understand why you found it so easily. But I'm glad you did. The gun I ordered is the
BeA 71/16-421 off Amazon. In case you are interested.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Paul are you able to staple the DW without it showing? Fold over like you described before?

MinUph

Thanks go out to Rick in pointing out my error. The gun I ordered is not the narrow crown I was wanting. But another one like the standard size ones. Oh well I will have to return it and order the correct one tomorrow. But the one I want IS AVAILABLE and will be very helpful in attaching DW.
65 I do believe I will be able to staple the DW on with this gun when I get the right one anyway LOL. Age has it's limitations and mistakes are one of them. We will only staple on vinyl DW and still glue on all fabric covered DW.

THANKS RICK both for finding it and pointing out my error in ordering. It was ordered next day so it couldn't get canceled.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

RiCat

Paul, not even a thing on the help. Let me ask you. When you order staples, being they go to 5/8" of a inch, what will you order? 5/8" staples is long. I would think 3/8", if available, would be sufficient. Also, you said you will continue to glue fabric covered dw. I would think a cloth dw would collapse better over the staple to hide it??? Meaning, if stapling works good on vinyl dw, cloth would be better? I do understand how glue will not work on vinyl where it works on cloth..

Regards

Rick

sofadoc

Back in the day, we referred to the type of gun that Paul wants as a "Gimp gum".
I guess because the narrow crown was a suitable alternative to the old fashioned gimp tacks.
I never liked it for stapling double welt because the narrow staple always left a noticeable dip. But it was great for anchoring 45 degree turns.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: RiCat on July 13, 2017, 01:32:01 pm
Paul, not even a thing on the help. Let me ask you. When you order staples, being they go to 5/8" of a inch, what will you order? 5/8" staples is long. I would think 3/8", if available, would be sufficient. Also, you said you will continue to glue fabric covered dw. I would think a cloth dw would collapse better over the staple to hide it??? Meaning, if stapling works good on vinyl dw, cloth would be better? I do understand how glue will not work on vinyl where it works on cloth..

Regards

Rick

Rick,
  We use 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16" staples normally. Just depends on what were stapling. I like glueing DW on as you see no indentations in the welt. It is a bit slower but much nicer looking.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website