Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:20:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

haphazard repair

Started by kodydog, September 20, 2015, 05:42:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

September 20, 2015, 05:42:18 pm Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:49:24 pm by kodydog
This piece had never been recovered before so I can't blame it on the last upholsterer. And the shipping tag said 1976 so I can't blame it on cheap Chinese crap.

Whoever the upholsterer was decided to do the repair himself rather than send it back to the frame room. Just shoot a bunch of staples into it. That will do just fine. Fail.

The second photo is of the wing chairs reupholstered.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Had the repairs been more current you would have seen Gorilla glue all over the place and maybe a steel mending plate. 
Those wing chairs completed get five stars  !

SA

byhammerandhand

+1  I've seen more than enough of both.

The concept known as the law of the instrument, Maslow's hammer, Gavel or a golden hammer is an over-reliance on a familiar tool; as Abraham Maslow said in 1966, "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Quote from: SteveA on September 21, 2015, 04:19:25 am
Had the repairs been more current you would have seen Gorilla glue all over the place and maybe a steel mending plate. 
Those wing chairs completed get five stars  !

SA
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Awhile back it was either hammer or sofaD that posted a pic showing a butt joint where the 2" staple missed, so the person added 3 or 4 additional "missed" staples.

I mentioned awhile back that I did a wing back chair that had something rattling around inside it. It was a frame board that had one end broken off from a knot and the worker used another board for the frame but instead of the worker throwing the bad board away they just put in inside the chair.

Very nice work, kodyD on those wing back chairs!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Who needs staples?..........when you have GG and aluminum tape? 

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Those are the cases where I usually shake my head and say to myself, "Well, that piece of wood should have just been thrown in the scrap bin."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison