Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 10:57:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

More Snow

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, February 04, 2015, 04:20:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Got up at 3 to take the little monster out and it was just beginning to snow.  Alarm went off at 5:30 and our bedroom was already light.  I knew that meant I couldn't go out with the dogs with just my slippers on my feet.  Bundled up like Nanuk of the North and got the dogs enthused about going out.  We have a side door that faces east and no back door.  Side door had about 3 inches of snow blocking it already.  Not a whole lot of wind as the snow was fairly level with no obvious drifts.  Amazingly enough, it was mid-40's yesterday so it melted most of Saturday's snow.  We had maybe a half inch in the areas that were drifts on Sunday.  Snow was just cresting over the top of my snow boots when we were out.  Last night's weather, they said that it would snow until 9 or later this morning before beginning its movement east.  I'm sure eventually this will hit those hard-hit areas on the East Coast.

I kind of chuckled yesterday.  I had an appointment for today @ 3 pm and the customer had called me around 4 pm to reschedule due to the approaching storm.  I had no problem with rescheduling, in fact was glad that I didn't have to go out in this cr*p, but thought that maybe we should have waited to make sure that we got the weather.  She trusted the weather people.  Turns out she was correct. : )  Glad that I don't have to make Bob shovel me out this morning.

Virginia 

Mojo

We have had the windows open and been enjoying the fresh air as of late. The temp has been perfect down here in the Swamp so we have been enjoying it.

I was on the phone to a customer in Nebraska yesterday and asked him how the weather was and snickered a little. I made sure I asked him AFTER I got his order. :)

I have sent pictures and harassed my Son the last few days on the wonderful weather they have been having in Michigan and our current weather in Florida. He has yet to be impressed. :)

I miss the snow..............for about 5 minutes.

Chris

Mike

February 04, 2015, 12:07:15 pm #2 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:07:57 pm by Mike
my dog had a doggy door in new Hampshire he shick his head out and see snow and pee on the chair when I wasn't looking

Mike

ps here my lastest pic a few evening ago

MinUph

We should be ashamed having to live in this sort of climate. Yea right LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

We've not gotten official tally on the snowfall yet.  Probably in today's paper, but Bob says between 5 and 6 inches. Since he shoveled it, I give him credence.   It was weird.  When I went out with the dogs at 5:30, there was very little wind.  I went out a little after 8 and it was snowing to beat the band and we had the coolest drifts.  We had a great one that ran along side our garage.  That drift close to 5 foot high. 

Joe discovered it.  Should have had a camcorder out there as it was too funny.  He very gingerly made his way to the top of the drift, looked around and then leaped in the air.  When he landed he went all the way through the drift to the ground so he made a series of leaps to get out of the drift.  Then he decided that was fun and proceeded to make a series of bunny hops through the majority of the drifts.  I think he left a couple for today.  Too funny!

Supposed to be 33 today, mid 40's on Friday and upper 50's on Saturday so this won't last long.  At least Joe is enjoying himself in the snow.

Virginia

Mike

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on February 05, 2015, 05:30:17 am
  I went out a little after 8 and it was snowing to beat the band

funyy how it only snows to beat the band I havnt seen anything beat the band in 11 years now it don't rain to beat the band or blow. and what dose that mean to beat the band

Virgs Sew n Sew

February 06, 2015, 05:07:08 am #7 Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:14:03 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
I'm not sure what the official definition of "to beat the band" is but according to the NWS, we were in blizzard-like conditions.  Officially, we got 6.1 inches of snow.  That doesn't include all the snow that melted when hitting the ground because the temps hadn't been low enough, long enough to get the ground frozen (temp was in the 40's the day before).

I love all of those old sayings like "to beat the band".  Another favorite of mine is "that was certainly rich".  My mother had a ton of them (rich being one of those).

BTW, as far as sayings go, it rains "cats & dogs" but I cannot remember ever hearing anything to describe the wind.  Maybe someone else has one???

Virginia

Darren Henry

I've heard the wind described as "howling like a banshee".

I'm not sure where "to beat the band" originated either but Grandma was prone to use it. On the other hand I do know where "raining cats and dogs" came from. Back in 16/17 th century Great Britain cottages were small and squat, often dug into the side of a hill with thatch roofs (Picture Brave Heart and similar movies). The village critters would bed down in the thatch. If it rained or the weather got ugly they would sometimes burrow to deep and "rain" into the cottage. Also if the rain was significant enough to saturate the 2+ feet of straw the combined weight wet thatch and critters could collapse a roof an you really had it raining cats an dogs ( and rats and straw and the odd goat) LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on February 06, 2015, 05:07:08 am
but I cannot remember ever hearing anything to describe the wind.

Virginia
I think Ive heard blowing like the dickens

Mojo

My family hails from MO and AR. I heard alot of good ones from my Grandparents and Aunt's / Uncle's.

One of my favorites " I ain't hit a lick at a snake all day ". In other words, I haven't done anything all day long. :)

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Chris, are you referring to the Ozarks?

I worked with a woman whose kin came from the Ozarks.  One Monday after a visit home, something irritated her and she ripped out a blue string.  I started laughing at her because of how she pronounced SOB.  She spelled out how you pronounce it in the Ozarks.  Sunza (rest as normal).  To this day, that is how I pronounce SOB. ; )

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteIve heard blowing like the dickens

Other than little Jimmy (of grand ol opree fame), what is a dickens exactly?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Virginia:

Yup that how my Relie's said it and how I say it. My grandmother never swore. She was a proper lady but she once got mad at something and said Sheet. We all couldn't believe Grandma said anything close to a curse word. My grandpa used to yell at me and say " Chris, quit throwing that thar ball in the house.............ya'll are gonna break a wind-errr ". From that day on windows were always winderrrs.  One other famous word from their area was the plural for you. It was pronounced Youzzzz.... :)

My grandpa passed alot of Ozark eating on to me. I still to this day put cider vinegar on anything that is green. Collard greens, mustard greens, green beans, pea's, etc. I even put it on macaroni and cheese. He owned two farms, one was a beef farm and the other a hog farm. One morning when I spent the weekend with them I sat down to have breakfast with him. On the menu were egg's and hog testicles ( he had just castrated some of his piglets ). He didn't believe in letting good meat go to waste. If he killed a big snake, in the frying pan it went.

One Sunday ( almost every Sunday ) we were at the farm for a family dinner ( BIG family ). My Grandpa had a goat at the farm that my Mom adored. After dinner my Grandpa asked my Mom what she thought of Ole Billy ? She about strangled him when he said that was the meat that was on the platter.

I have some awesome memories of my family. We were an extremely close group who spent alot of time together. I used to spend alot of time with my Aunt and Uncle's either at their farms or their cottages. I had a great childhood surrounded by a very loving family. They were all happy, positive, lively and compassionate people.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Chris:

Last job I had on Ft Leavenworth was in the same office as my husband, which was interesting in itself ; ).  We worked with a very religious gentleman who NEVER EVER swore.  He got off the phone one afternoon, went into our boss's office and told him that someone's behavior really pssed him off.  Everyone's jaw hit the floor.  In 5 years, that was the only curse word I ever heard him utter.

It's great that you have such good memories of growing up.  We didn't have a lot of kin.  Bob grew up pretty much like you did.  Close with cousins and grandparents and has a lot of really funny stories about things that happened when he was growing up.

Virginia