Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:46:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

'nother new toy

Started by sofadoc, July 04, 2013, 07:43:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

That machine looks like new, hardly any use.

It is labeled as a cloth cutter, so does that lead to the thinking that a knife blade is for cloth and a spinning disc blade is the choice for vinyl?  My little hand held cutter is a spinning disc. 

There should be some thinking that if there is a tooth blade option for the machine, it would be a very good foam saw.  It has options for longer blades, that would probably make it even more interesting should someone want to go in that direction.

I am not knowledgeable of this type of equipment to really appreciate how it is so effective with cloth, with only one blade.  Anyone understand how the machine, with a single blade is so effective on cloth?  Or does the sharp blade reciprocate with a support behind the blade?  Reciprocates in a recessed support behind it? 

So much to understand in this business.

Years ago, when starting in the business, the business owner had a cutter very similar and he used it to cut woven plastic roll goods.  That was a material sort of like what is seen on fold up lawn chairs.  It worked!  He could cut a few layers at a time, maybe four or more?

Are we learning?

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on July 23, 2013, 05:29:43 am
There should be some thinking that if there is a tooth blade option for the machine, it would be a very good foam saw.
It's actually the smoothest foam cutter I've ever seen. But since this one only has a 6" blade, you realistically only have enough clearance to cut foam up to 4" thick:

BTW The only reason that I'm pulling the foam back through the cutter, is because it's easier to do it that way while holding a camera.

Bobbin referred to it as a "stack cutter". So I assume it's designed for bulk cutting of stacked layers of fabric.
I really don't do much "stack cutting".

For $100, I'm glad I bought it. But at $550 for a new one, I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

Your cutter looks like the cutters that my dad used in his garment factory.  Those cutters would cut through ALOT of garment fabric.  I kick myself now for not going to the auction when the factory closed.  Dad said those cutters went for nothing.  I always suspected they would have been perfect for cutting foam.

I'd love to have a Bosch, but I could never justify the price.  I'd love to find a used one.  I bought one of the EZ foam cutters from this website and it's okay.  The blades go dull pretty quick.  They are the serated blades like in a turkey knife.

bobbin

I'd love a Bosch foam cutter, too, but don't cut enough to justify the price.  I bought the Acu Cutter 500 from this site and I love it.  Both blades move (like the Bosch).  I lube 'em up with silicone spray and "get the job done".  I keep it clean and lubed.  LOVE IT!