Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 10:28:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstery that looks slipcoverd

Started by pat, July 27, 2013, 07:04:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Hi Everyone, its been awhile, have been busy with work, work, work, and buying a new home. I have another off the wall question. So I have been upholstering couches to look slip covered, I really need a guide, a video, some more knowledge on how it is done. Apparently the ones I have done look wonderful, however I feel I do not know how to finish skirts properly, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thankz PAT

baileyuph

I know what you mean Pat, work, work, work.

Is your question how to make slip covers with skirts?  We have participants here who probably should answer such a question, as this may be their mainstream.

It will be interesting to hear from them on a good question like you asked.

Thanks for particpating,
Doyle

sofadoc

July 27, 2013, 08:04:58 pm #2 Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:42:56 pm by sofadoc
Are you talking about the "Cottage look", where everything is stapled on just like an upholstered piece.......except the front deck, outside arms, and outside back all have loose flaps at the bottom that serve as a skirt. So the piece looks slipcovered, but everything is attached.

I've done several, and always a little unhappy with them. But I haven't had any complaints. The tedious part for me is getting all the loose flap/skirts to hang evenly. It sounds like from your question that you may have the same difficulty.

Here's the look that I'm talking about:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/325624/Sue-De-Chiara-s-home-contemporary--
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

My couch is upholstered this way, Doc.  Fortunately it is nearly new and it won't need recovering for many years.

How is it done?  I get the inside pieces; they're like normal.  But how do you do the outside pieces?  I've inspected mine and I've found that the outside pieces are covered with muslin and tacked to the frame like normal and then the "skirt" is on top of that.

I really like the look but haven't been brave enough to attempt it.  Have you taken a piece that wasn't done this way originally and upholstered it with the outsides like this?

Joys Shop

Isn't that called a "waterfall skirt" ?

sofadoc

Quote from: Joys Shop on July 28, 2013, 02:00:59 am
Isn't that called a "waterfall skirt" ?
Maybe so. But I've heard decorators around here refer to ANY skirt that extends from the base of the seat cushion(s) as a "waterfall skirt", even though the side/back skirts may still be separately stapled on just like normal (instead of the outside arm/backs having a loose flap at the bottom).

I've also heard local decorators call it a "Dropcloth skirt", or "Cottage style".

I have mixed feelings about doing them this way. On one hand, they're not really hard to do, but on the other hand, I'm never real happy with the way they turn out. But like I said, no complaints thus far.

Quote from: DDandJ on July 27, 2013, 09:01:26 pm
Have you taken a piece that wasn't done this way originally and upholstered it with the outsides like this?
Funny you should mention that. I currently have that very request from a customer. They haven't selected their material yet. So I'm waiting to see their fabric choice before I say yay or nay.

All I know is..........I AIN'T doin' this one:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/986361/Shaped-Box-Pleat-jpg--
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

pat

Hi Waterfall skirt, cottage skirt,(cottage country is were I live) yes that's the one. I normally add extra rails to attach inside cotton too, then pray to god that the skirts line up. I have taken apart the upholstered to look slip covered furniture, and have always found an extra rail attached, sides and back, I just don't get the skirt corners. Website, video, Plzzzzzzzzzz

DDandJ

Doc, I can only imagine that the poor upholsterer who did that piece wound up in the nut house.  Some designer had waaaay too much time on their hands ;)

It's certainly an interesting look.

I think I'll stick to the regular ole skirts.