Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:25:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing zipper in cushion cover - i.e. furniture

Started by baileyuph, May 08, 2013, 05:35:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Questions:

The technique I use to sew the zipper tape to the two boxing zipper strips is baste strips first, center tape and sew each seam down the sides.

Technique works fine, zipper is factory equal in appearance, but removing the basting seam is taking too much time.

Looking for a good idea that will speed this step up.  Loosing tension on one of the threads helps but this method requires getting thread back to same tension and it still isn't easy to pull the loose thread clear of the seam.

Hope this is clear.

If a better technique is know (that yields nice straight seams), it would be interesting to read about it.

Saving time is very high priority while producing a factory looking zipper.

Doyle

mike802

Hi Doyle:  In this video I show how I sew my zippers in.  Starting at about .39 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIIOSm7Cks&feature=share&list=PL0BD294FB1AA07F01
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Joys Shop

I also baste the seam first
but
I have a domestic machine, that I have in my shop, to sew the basting.   The finer thread breaks very easily

sofadoc

I just fold-n-sew all in one stitch. I cut my zipper panels too big, so I don't have to worry about how much I'm folding under as I sew. Then I trim them down to size after sewing. With stretchy fabrics, I sew the zipper on my Juki DDL-555 (NON-walking foot) machine. Then I attach the completed zipper panel to the cushion on my WF machine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I cut my zipper sides (strips) the same width as the boxing. I cut these out right along with the boxing when I cut out the boxing.

I then fold the zipper sides in half and sew on the zipper tape. This gives me the same width as the boxing.

I will sometimes iron/steam the zipper sides when I fold them in half, especially with thick fabric that allows me to do this.

I think doing it this way is faster. And on occasion when the back of the cushion is going to be seen, it seems that doing it this way is easier to line up the stripes, if there are stripes, for example.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

I glue and fold the edges of my zipper panels before I sew the zipper in.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

The dynamics all you people add to this site is above all else.  I ask a question and got five very heady (sp?) responces which are very appreciated.

They all add to the tool chest, so to speak, and will serve in future applications.  The video was interesting, the basting trick Joy uses is so smart........well guess I know where that puts me.  LOL.

Sounds like Texas boots are staying dry, can't figure out if that Texas Mojo is about to rocket or not, but he knows where the money is.  Grin.

Anyway thanks all, you got me thinking and hopefully moving forward. 

Doyle

gene

Just goes to show that there's more than one way to pour piss from a boot.

gene

PS: I've mentioned before that I enjoy Mike's videos also.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Another thought and since we are on a roll, I will slip it in:

When doing zippers in leather, how do you change your technique, or do you?

Doyle

MinUph

I do my zippers basicly like sofa doc does. Cut them oversize fold over sew and trim down to size.
  With genuine leather I try to find a matching fabric for the zippers to aloow the cushion to breath. If not possible I do the same as for fabric. With good vinyl I will just sew and slit the vinyl.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Ditto what Paul said about vinyl zippers. I just sew the zipper tape to the back side of the panel, and slit the front open.

Mojo

I don't do zippers.......:)

But I sure enjoyed watching Mike's video.

If I haven't thanked Mike let me thank you now. I know how time consuming making these videos are
and many of us truly appreciate your dedication to helping us. One of these days I need to find a way to copy your You Tube videos onto DVD so I can have them in my library of DIY videos.

Actually Mike you should produce and sell these videos. :)

Chris

fragged8

May 16, 2013, 03:03:49 pm #12 Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:05:00 pm by fragged8
i cut the zipper boxing the width of the rest of the boxing plus the width of the zipper tape.

fold the zipper boxing in half and sew along the folded edge without back stitching each end, so when the piece is un folded it is the same width
as the rest of the boxing.
Then i cut along the center which gives you two sides to the boxing and fold flat the seam and sew on the zipper
by eye. you now have a folded edge to the zipper opening and all you need to do is sew in the boxing as normal
and last job is to seam rip out the stay stitching down the center and its all done.

Mike that clutch motor humms like crazy you need a DC motor :-)
Rich

bobbin

I do my zipper boxing the same way Gene does.  One line of stitching for each side. Badabing badaboom.  If the fabric is bulky I sometimes trim the underside of the boxing down just below the zipper tape. 

I would never waste time using the manual presser foot lever, either.  On my oldest machine (1929 Singer) I use a knee lift for the presser foot (I dislike a foot pedal for lifting a presser foot unless it's on an overlock or other multi-needle machine).  My two new Jukis are full function and there is an automatic foot lift engaged with the treadle. 

On my older machines I never waste time using scissors to cut thread, either.  Get yourselves a few pair of "snips", you wear them on the ring finger of your right hand and you never have to put them down.  Can you tell who worked piece rate in a garment shop?

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on May 19, 2013, 04:24:19 pm
Get yourselves a few pair of "snips", you wear them on the ring finger of your right hand and you never have to put them down.
While thread nippers are great for cutting thread, I never had much luck using them to snip welt as I go around a corner. So since I have to keep scissors next to my work anyway, I never got into the habit of using thread nippers.

Maybe I didn't get the right ones. Do they make nippers that will snip 4 layers (welt, boxing, panel)?