Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 01:43:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

new machine for auto upholstery

Started by jasongtr, January 24, 2013, 12:05:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jasongtr

hi there, im brand new to this forum so go easy on me please.  ;D

im going to buy an industrial machine for auto upholstery ive been recommended this machine, its a walking foot triple feed - up to 10mm stitch length

http://www.sewingmachinery.com/highlead/highlead-GC0618-1SC-offer.html

what are peoples opinions on this, im going to have a servo motor fitted as i dont like the idea of trying to use a clutch motor, it going to come in at £950 inc vat - are there any better machines for the money, id rather not spend more - less of course is great :P

i should add im very new to sewing so getting a new or serviced machine with backup is pretty important

sofadoc

Welcome Jason.

The Highlead has been discussed many times on this forum. I've yet to hear anything negative about it.

I'm not sure whether the automotive guys prefer that brand/model or not. But it is certainly the proper class machine.

That price (around $1500 USD) is a little high for stateside, but I'm sure that it is plenty competitive in your area.

Do you live close enough to that dealer for future service?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Jason, I have this very machine, and it is fantastic. I paid $1000 for it brand new with servo motor and table.
I've had it almost two years, and never any problems, as long as you keep it oiled.

jasongtr

thats great, thanks for the replies.

anywhere is close in the uk compared to you US guys, but its about 3 hours drive away.

i wish i could find one here for the equivilant of $1000

ill do a search to see if i can find a cheaper on of the same model

how often do they need servicing? i guess a little oil once a week is fine for ongoing maintainance

Mojo

The vast majority of machines do not need servicing as long as you oil it and look after it. The servicing comes in when you screw something up on the machine.

For the most part machines will go for years without a tune up or service. I am going to bet there are stitchers on here who have run their machines for a decade without having to have them worked on. All they do is feed it oil and TLC. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on January 24, 2013, 02:08:53 pm
I am going to bet there are stitchers on here who have run their machines for a decade without having to have them worked on.
That's why it always so hard to find a sewing machine repairman. You go so long between tune-ups, the guy that you used last time has either retired, or died.

That's why it's best to go ahead and spend the money now on a new, or fairly new rebuilt machine. Depending on your age, you may just finish your career without ever having any serious issues.

But if you buy some Craigslist junker that's been through hell, you better have a mechanic on the ready (or spend countless hours tinkering with it yourself).

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from shopping Craigslist. There are some good machines to be found there.
BUT be prepared to walk away.
We routinely have newbies come on here asking our opinion about a particular Craigslist ad. Before we can even respond, they've already bought it. And quite often, they drove 300-400 miles, and paid $300-$400 too much.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

hiya

Jasongtr - put your location into your profile details can you please..

if you're in the UK call me and i'll hook you up with my machine guy in wales
the last machine I got from him was a 3 years old Juki and cost about 4.5 k new

I paid him £500 for it ..

email fragged8@hotmail.com and i'll send you my details

Richard

jasongtr

Darren Henry

Hi Jason. Welcome to the board. Two new members from across the pond today  8), What are odds of that?

I'm not sure where the pound is vs. CDN $ , but that sounds hefty. What would 1000 pounds be equal to ? A month's rent on a 1 bedroom flat in the good end of town? Three weeks wages?

New is always exciting--- but not always worth the extra coin. As has been mentioned; these machines (unless they are some cheap knock off) go for years and years and years so used is not a cause for concern. You might be able to save yourself a few bob and still have every bit as good a machine if you can find one of these for sale used. My newest sewing machine is a 111W155 singer from before 195? when the went from black paint to grey (or was it green then grey ??).

Rich types faster than me LOL. Stole my thunder the bugger. I was going to hook you guys up to close my post.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jasongtr

thanks for the welcome

im not against used, so long as its from a decent dealer as im new to these machines, if i was in any doubt id buy new, so far im looking at just over £1000 for the highlead with a servo motor fitted

Mojo

trust me, since you new a servo motor will cut a hole lot of frustration and learning time down. Servos make it much easier and quicker to learn control for a newbie.

Most newbies are not crazy about clutch motors. They can really pile alot of frustration onto a person learning to sew.

Chris

ajlelectronics

Quote from: jasongtr on January 24, 2013, 04:00:47 pm
thanks for the welcome

im not against used, so long as its from a decent dealer as im new to these machines, if i was in any doubt id buy new, so far im looking at just over £1000 for the highlead with a servo motor fitted

There are some Seiko STW8 machines on Ebay, from a dealer, with a warranty and delivery / setup service.

Mike

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 24, 2013, 03:54:39 pm
My newest sewing machine is a 111W155 singer from before 195? when the went from black paint to grey (or was it green then grey ??).

Darren my oldest singer is broke this year  black with the dial stitch setting on the flywheel, never a problem other then worn guides for 20 years til the timing belt broke, and I have a newer singer still old kinda a cream color with the push button on the deck stitch setting

Darren Henry

She must be older than mine. My stitch setting is down on the deck.

June started out on an old 111W155,I wonder what colour it was. Now that she has all those new toys and the big shop she probably can't find it now to check LOL.

I'd hardly even call a timing belt "broken". Diaper-man's 111W155 snapped one last summer. Cost him $27 CDN in our mail box from Winterpeg and took me just over an hour to change 'cause the gear puller I wanted to use to pull the pillow block out of the body of the machine was in my shed back in Ontario.

It was much easier than changing the block heater * on my car last weekend.Car designers should all be kicked repeatedly in the groin and then forced to service their  "better ideas".Yes it was a Fix Or Repair Daily.I was 45 minutes on the net to find where the sucker was and another hour to figure out how to pretzel my now bruised and bleeding arm up into there, hold it in place, and tighten the one toggle bolt with the one hand that fit in the space.

* 110 volt (house currant here in Canada) heating element that fits in the frost plug opening of the engine to heat the coolant (and there by the engine) in cold weather to aid starting.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

I have that same Highlead - new as of 2012 - and 2 of the old 111W155 Singers.  My first one and favorite is a newer (late 1950's maybe?) silver machine with large bobbin.  I bought a backup several years ago and it's the older black one - small bobbin.  Both are seriously good machines, but no reverse.  The Highlead has a large bobbin and reverse.  The only complaint I have so far with it is that the lift isn't high enough for my liking.  I've adjusted it to the maximum lift, but occasionally on some really thick seam, I have to use the knee lifter to get the foot over the top.  If I'm not paying close attention, it'll stop in one spot, unable to advance over the ridge, and make a hole by sewing too many strokes in the same spot.  I need to contact Greg at Keystone and see if there's some other internal/hidden/secret way to get the lift higher - other than the published method. 

I'm putting my old black Singer up for sale if anyone's interested.  No need anymore since I'm the only sewer and 1 backup machine is enough.  I hesitate to list it here since I'm really not interested in shipping it anywhere - it's too heavy and I'd have to build a crate.  I'll be putting it on Craigs List.  It had a new hook and tension assembly as of last year and it runs as smooth as silk - actually smoother/quieter than the new Highlead - but the Highlead's not broken in yet I think.  It'll probably take years of use to get the gears all deburred.  The Highlead takes all the standard Singer attachments like feet, but I'm finding that the feet are a hair closer together (fore and aft) than the Singers and some of my feet collide when the front foot goes backward.  Guess I'll have to grind a few feet down.  I kinda doubt there's any adjustment for that.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields