Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 12:52:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

new machine for auto upholstery

Started by jasongtr, January 24, 2013, 12:05:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I've got 2 clutches and a servo and on either clutch, I'm like JD - better control than with the servo.  Best thing about the servo is it's QUIET!!!  thank goodness, and uses less power and generates less heat (a biggie here in South Florida).  I don't even think about it anymore when switching from one machine to another.  Also, my servo does have a brake.  I have to depress the pedal a bit to get the flywheel to release so I can hand-navigate a tight spot.  Same with the clutches.  I don't think servos here are all that much more $$ than the clutches - unless you get a high end one with needle positioning and other kool features.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 30, 2013, 04:22:28 pm
QuoteWith a clutch motor, the hand wheel can't be turned by hand unless you depress the pedal slightly. With a servo, you can turn it freely anytime.

I've always been curious about that. Is there not a brake with a servo set up? I am not one of those people who are full throttle/slam the brake/repeat; but it is nice to know that all I have to do is rock the heel back and we stop --- now.

June says that her servo DOES have a brake. Mine obviously doesn't have the conventional braking system, because I can turn the hand wheel freely. But all I know is, I can stop on a dime. And I can sew VERY slowly (even on the highest speed setting) if I want to. I can't imagine having more control with any other type (of low cost motor) than I have now.

June says that she can switch back and forth from clutch to servo without missing a beat. Not me. I had one of each for a while. 
I drove myself crazy.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban