Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 12:15:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Glue would you use to glue vinyl into plastic bases

Started by JDUpholstery, January 16, 2013, 04:23:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDUpholstery

I am redoing a 2008 Club Car Golf Cart...the cushions were molded into the existing vinyl and that unit was glued into the plastic back/base....what glue would you use to achieve this same bond?

zanepurcell

do you mean fiberglass?

either way, I keep a tube of liquid nails handy.

kodydog

I repaired a vinyl screen door with Liquid Nails and it has held tight over 1.5 years under heavy use.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JDUpholstery

Thanks Minuph, and all others as well, it is plastic that it was glued to, I have that weldwood cement, I use it for a lot of stuff, just hadn't tried for this application so wanted to check prior to doing it....nothing worse that it not working and having to clean up the mess it leaves...thanks again!

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JDUpholstery

yes, I knew what ya meant...this is what I have...in 5 gallon quantities

I was leaning toward using it, but I just wanted more opinions before doing so since this is the only way to do it and have it look factory, and would hate for the glue to fail...like the old glue did in only 4 years....thanks again

JuneC

"Spray grade"??  I've never seen that.  What's the difference between that and the regular Weldwood Landau glue?  Is it just thinner?   I like HH-66 too, but I don't know if it's dependent on the type of plastic for good adhesion.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

NDAV8R

Quote from: JDUpholstery on January 16, 2013, 07:35:18 pm
yes, I knew what ya meant...this is what I have...in 5 gallon quantities

This is all I use, you can get it in the gallon quanities if you don't for see using large quanities. It will get thick in time, so use it up fast.
I used it in this latest posted project when I window wrapped all the plastic with ultraleather...http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=12106.0

I had to rewrap one piece due to my screw up and man it took forever to remove the newly glued vinyl! I like it because of it's high temp resistance.  I just load it right out of the can into my Sharpe Model 775 auto spray gun, really never having to worry about cleaning. I will take take 3M Adhesive cleaner to the tip on occation. You need good ventilation, too. And it is a Contact adhesive, so preplan your stretch!
2cents.
Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Darren Henry

I haven't seen the Wellwood brand up here (but haven't looked very hard either) although I have seen some of their other products at places like Home depot or Home Hardware.

Do you generally scuff up the plastic and or wash it down with like mineral spirits,alcohol, etc... to prep it?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

As long as its clean its clean Darren. The stuff sticks to almost anything.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JDUpholstery

Sorry for delay in replies...had a friend come from out of state to have some work done, and spent 3 days getting him taken care of so lacked time to get on computer.

The glue failed to hold the pieces in their bases...so I am going to do a wrap over instead of trying to duplicate the factory job. I was having to glue the vinyl side (not the backing) to the plastic bases, kind of like a socket...if I remember I will take a pic tomorrow so you can see what I am doing.

I am same way with cleaning gun...I keep a full pot in the gun all the time and never clean it, just grab it when needed and spray...it stays sprayable a long time, I go through about a pot a week, and never had the glue gum on me.

I have a 2 gallon glue pot, but have not had the time to plum it in for air yet, so still have yet to use it.

I have never used one of the non spray versions of this glue so I do not know if it is thinner June.

MinUph

Yea JD,
  Not much sticks to the vinyl side. I've found some vinyl will work with a hot glue for like double welt and some won't. Contact cement won't stick to the vinyl very well though. Did you allow it to completely dry before attaching?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

I'm in the process of doing seats from a 1970 Cessna. Whatever kind of adhesive they used in 1970 stuck really, really well, to the vinyl and to the metal frame. I don't have any of the landau top adhesive, but was wondering if it would be ok to use regular  Dap contact cement, or I also have something called HH-66 vinyl cement. Anybody have any experience with this?